Jeep Funding

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
another thing is research, Research, RESEARCH! Wheel your jeep stock, plan your vision for your jeep based on your wheeling needs, research the parts you would need to get there, save your money and buy the parts once.

take me for example. i REALLY wanted the evo enforcer lift and 35's. my issue was that i wanted it tomorrow. so what did i do, i settled on a lift because it was cheaper and i got the 35's i wanted but in a 16" rim (because thats what i already had) and not 17". if i saved just one more month i could of had the lift i wanted and the proper wheel/tire combo.

then again i messed up when i did move to 17" wheels and i got 35's again instead of going 37's which is what i really want to run. of course i still hear it 4,000 miles later from both hinrich and noroad that i should have done 37's lol i even yell at myself sometimes for not spending the extra 20$ a tire and got the size i wanted.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
another thing is research, Research, RESEARCH! Wheel your jeep stock, plan your vision for your jeep based on your wheeling needs, research the parts you would need to get there, save your money and buy the parts once.

take me for example. i REALLY wanted the evo enforcer lift and 35's. my issue was that i wanted it tomorrow. so what did i do, i settled on a lift because it was cheaper and i got the 35's i wanted but in a 16" rim (because thats what i already had) and not 17". if i saved just one more month i could of had the lift i wanted and the proper wheel/tire combo.

then again i messed up when i did move to 17" wheels and i got 35's again instead of going 37's which is what i really want to run. of course i still hear it 4,000 miles later from both hinrich and noroad that i should have done 37's lol i even yell at myself sometimes for not spending the extra 20$ a tire and got the size i wanted.

To add to this.....learn the difference between honest info, and fanboy info. Most of the stuff you read on the forums will be "this is awesome" but they only say that because they own the product. Read honest info, and learn to see past the typical forum BS.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
The dilemma is always do it all now or do it piece by piece. We all would love to plunk 50k down and have it all done in one shot, but that's not practical obviously.

My first JK I just chipped at it as best I could, friends from JK-Forum helped with my install which helped a lot (and was super fun). This time around I'll be doing the same, albeit a bit bigger. I have to pay for a wedding so it gets priority, but bonus/stocks will be paying for most of my work in 2015.

I'm very fortunate to make about triple what i made the first time I owned a JK, so it should be much easier this time - but my bills have gone up as well, so it's all relative. Even when I made pretty low scrap for a salary, I still managed to get a bumper here, a CB antenna there, just one thing at a time.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
My jeep is not built like most. I still buy slightly used parts, some new and in stages. Don't max out plastic to mod just to impress someone you do not know.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
This might make you feel better - if "Evolander" can participate in the JKX with this minimal list of modifications, it goes to show you don't have to have $50K in mods to your Jeep before you can do things like that too. You can even save some by not getting beadlocks and chopping your stock fenders.

attachmentORAZI4C5.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I've been selling bath salts recently. Before that was coke. And I have a few girls working the gaslamp and business is good now.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Work your ass off and save/spend smart! I sacrafice a lot in some aspects of my personal life decisions so I can live lavishly in others. Never finance ANYTHING and only buy something you have the cash to pay for it with. Debt and paying interest is your biggest enemy! Pay all debt, and then save....

^This! :thumb:

rescue7

This might make you feel better - if "Evolander" can participate in the JKX with this minimal list of modifications, it goes to show you don't have to have $50K in mods to your Jeep before you can do things like that too. You can even save some by not getting beadlocks and chopping your stock fenders.

View attachment 110451

That's awesome!

JAGS

Hooked
I used to have triplets. Sold one for my build. ;) As a recommendation, the older they get, the less you can get for them. A year or two can make the difference between DTD and Enforcer. :crazyeyes::cheesy:

In all seriousness, the Jeep has always been 3-4-5 in line behind all the needs and wants for my wife and kids. Don't go into debt over a hobby! You never know when you might need that pile of cash for something actually important.

I used to have triplets. Sold one for my build. ;) As a recommendation, the older they get, the less you can get for them. A year or two can make the difference between DTD and Enforcer. :crazyeyes::cheesy:

Now that explains everything! Brankzie, hate to tell you this but you're adopted, roflmao.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay guys, I've been curious about something for a while. How in the heck do people on this forum fund some of these Jeep projects? I make really good money, have a paid off house, and still am lost. I watch these JK experience videos like a bad addiction hoping to one day be apart of one. However, I look at what's required, and the amount of money that must be involved. Furthermore, incurring body damage and having the funds for those repairs. I look at builds like Moby, and some other members, and can only think, that's not cheap.

Anyways, I'm not trying to pry into anyone's personal business. I'm looking to get myself a rubicon, probably and older one with low miles. But, with a family to take care of, and putting money in 401k and saving, I'm like how do I save for these mods?

I hope no one takes this post wrong. I, like everyone here, loves Jeep. I want to build the most badass one out there, and go on these long adventures. I just get in a slump when I think about funding it all.

Cheers fellows, and enjoitheride.

What I can tell you is that we haven't always had a Moby, Rubicat or any of our other Jeeps. There was a time where the only parts I could afford to buy were used ones I found for sale in the Recycler (old print newspaper version of Craiglist for those who don't remember). I've had to work hard, save money and pick and choose what was more important to me - a new entertainment system or new tires. A new kitchen or a new Jeep. 20+ years later and making a lot of hard choices, I now have what I really want. There's been nothing easy about it.

rescue7

What I can tell you is that we haven't always had a Moby, Rubicat or any of our other Jeeps. There was a time where the only parts I could afford to buy were used ones I found for sale in the Recycler (old print newspaper version of Craiglist for those who don't remember). I've had to work hard, save money and pick and choose what was more important to me - a new entertainment system or new tires. A new kitchen or a new Jeep. 20+ years later and making a lot of hard choices, I now have what I really want. There's been nothing easy about it.

This all makes sense. Maybe that's it; save for Jeep build stuff, so my vacations could be exploring, offroad, JKX stuff instead. I guess picking and choosing what's important, and whether or not the latest and greatest electronic device is really that important. I'd rather have Jeep stuff anyhow.

NAUJK

As a college student I can tell you that for me some of the choices were to either buy the winch and not eat much for a week or 2, or to be able to eat more. Of course I choose the winch...

I try to fund my jeep one part at a time, unless something breaks on me like what recently happened. I just bought the Evo bumper and only had about 200$ left to pay off which wasnt hard but then my front axle bent and needed to be replaced. I was lucky enough to have a family help me pay for it and now I owe them large sums of money for a Prorock 44.

But I have been asked the same question by members of my club. My response usually is it has taken me 6 years to get it where it is now, with lots of help from family and friends. It also helps not having a family to pay for.

Just have to decide what is more important. In my family doing family events and trips and so on is more important than saving money in a 401k for future use when you are too old to do anything. People ask me how my family and I go to Europe all the time (This summer before I have to put my pullups on and be a big boy were planning on going to Norway after running the Rubicon). taking those trips as a family and doing stuff is more important to us then saving money for retirement. It helps that my parents are both retired twice and still working. We put family, and family fun times above all else. That includes Jeeping, my Dad wants one my mother wont let him so he lives through my brother and I, and since I am closest he lives his Jeep dreams through me and wants to go wheeling with me, hence the help in buying the Prorock because he wants it too.

Americans live to work. Europeans work to live. Live life like the Europeans, where family comes first and go on vacations with your family and jeep trips with them, that way the money you spend on the jeep is also spending money for the family to enjoy.

Just my as a younger member of the forum :twocents:

Last edited:
As a college student I can tell you that for me some of the choices were to either buy the winch and not eat much for a week or 2, or to be able to eat more. Of course I choose the winch...

I try to fund my jeep one part at a time, unless something breaks on me like what recently happened. I just bought the Evo bumper and only had about 200$ left to pay off which wasnt hard but then my front axle bent and needed to be replaced. I was lucky enough to have a family help me pay for it and now I owe them large sums of money for a Prorock 44.

But I have been asked the same question by members of my club. My response usually is it has taken me 6 years to get it where it is now, with lots of help from family and friends. It also helps not having a family to pay for.

Just have to decide what is more important. In my family doing family events and trips and so on is more important than saving money in a 401k for future use when you are too old to do anything. People ask me how my family and I go to Europe all the time (This summer before I have to put my pullups on and be a big boy were planning on going to Norway after running the Rubicon). taking those trips as a family and doing stuff is more important to us then saving money for retirement. It helps that my parents are both retired twice and still working. We put family, and family fun times above all else. That includes Jeeping, my Dad wants one my mother wont let him so he lives through my brother and I, and since I am closest he lives his Jeep dreams through me and wants to go wheeling with me, hence the help in buying the Prorock because he wants it too.

Americans live to work. Europeans work to live. Live life like the Europeans, where family comes first and go on vacations with your family and jeep trips with them, that way the money you spend on the jeep is also spending money for the family to enjoy.

Just my as a younger member of the forum :twocents:

Well said, Youngster. :cheesy:

Top Bottom