Cruise Control Not Disengaging?!

akershner

What up 'lifers? I had something strange happen in my stock 2012 JKU Sport today and I wanted to see if anyone else out there has experienced this awesome phenomenon.

Driving with the cruise control on at 50 mph along a frontage road with stop lights every so often. The light coming up flipped yellow on me so I hit the brakes in an ordinary fashion. Normally this would disengage the cruise control, however this time it did not and realizing that the engine was still pulling I had to stand on the brakes. Tach was still sitting at about 2,000 rpms and I had the brake pedal almost to the floor. Got the beast to stop but at this point the rear wheels were smoking so I threw it in park and shut it down as quick as I could. Now, keep in mind that I'm now dead in the water at an intersection on a winding 50 mph stretch that's fairly busy. Flipped the hazards on and waited for about 30 seconds, started the engine back up and the rpms shot up with it in park. Shut it off again, waited for about a minute and a half this time, started her up again and all was normal. Shifted into drive and off we were like normal.

WTF? All I can say is that I'm glad my brakes are in good f'n shape. Anyone else have this happen or any clue what the hell went wrong? I did a quick search and found a few examples but nothing specific to the Jeep. Needless to say I'll be first in line at the dealership tomorrow. I'm sure they'll say they can't find anything wrong and they'll flash it but in the very least I wanted it documented so that if I total the bitch I'll have history.

Last edited:

ClarksAdventures

I've had the opposite happen on my 2014. All of the sudden while cruising down the freeway at 75mph the cruise control kicks off. Yours is by far more scary. I'm glad you were safe. I'm interested to hear more. Maybe it's a problem with the whole control.

chipper

Have them replace the driverseat too. I'm sure after all the there's a big tear and a few stains in it. 😬
Glad your safe !!!

akershner

I've had the opposite happen on my 2014. All of the sudden while cruising down the freeway at 75mph the cruise control kicks off. Yours is by far more scary. I'm glad you were safe. I'm interested to hear more. Maybe it's a problem with the whole control.

Yep, me too. In fact there's one bump on a highway curve that does it to me almost every day on the drive in to work. I thought I broke it the first time that happened but I've heard it's a safety mechanism of sorts. Hoping this deal is: A. An easy fix (I know, nothing's an easy fix at the stealership) and/or B. Never happens again.

jknikos

That was scary!!!!!!!! :shock::shock::shock::eek::eek::eek::Wide Eyed and Scare

Thank god mine doesnt have cruise control.

DelvecchioForza

My 13 jku cruise control goes off if it's a pretty bad bump but yea like stated its some safety thing blah blah I think it's bull crap I wanted a caddy and got a jeep wtf lol

hogtyed

I have had this happen on other vehicles but not on my 12 JK. Its a scary thing to happen.:whew: Check around the carburetor area. The last time this happened to me it was a broken piece of plastic that held the cable on the carburetor causing the cable to slip down & hang up. Hope this helps, please let us know what you find out.

akershner

UPDATE - After a flash this morning the techs diagnosed a bad throttle body sensor. Unfortunately we all know that dealerships carry zero inventory these days unless, of course, you'd just like to trade it in for a new one, then they'd be glad to help you out :big_boss: So, the part is due to arrive and be installed this coming Tuesday and, after a brief discussion with Chrysler where I expressed concern for the safety of myself and my black lab, they agreed to cover a rental.

Imagine the look of sadness when I learned I'd be without my baby for 4 days and that they'd be handing me the keys to a badass Patriot! :icon_crazy: No offense to anyone out there but man, I feel like this thing should come with a disguise. I'm sorry, I'm sure there are owners out there that love the Patriot but I miss Benson (Jeep) and honestly, nothing can take his place! I think I'll reward him with some 285/70r17 Duratracs when he gets out of the hospital. :rock::rock::rock:

ClarksAdventures

UPDATE - After a flash this morning the techs diagnosed a bad throttle body sensor. Unfortunately we all know that dealerships carry zero inventory these days unless, of course, you'd just like to trade it in for a new one, then they'd be glad to help you out :big_boss: So, the part is due to arrive and be installed this coming Tuesday and, after a brief discussion with Chrysler where I expressed concern for the safety of myself and my black lab, they agreed to cover a rental.

Imagine the look of sadness when I learned I'd be without my baby for 4 days and that they'd be handing me the keys to a badass Patriot! :icon_crazy: No offense to anyone out there but man, I feel like this thing should come with a disguise. I'm sorry, I'm sure there are owners out there that love the Patriot but I miss Benson (Jeep) and honestly, nothing can take his place! I think I'll reward him with some 285/70r17 Duratracs when he gets out of the hospital. :rock::rock::rock:

Thy gave me a baby blue patriot on my last rental. I def put on a disguise and parked it down the block so nobody would recognize me.

akershner

Thy gave me a baby blue patriot on my last rental. I def put on a disguise and parked it down the block so nobody would recognize me.

I refuse to park it in the Jeep's garage. I had visions of it coming home on Tuesday, getting angry and pissing in all the corners to re-mark its territory. This whole ordeal reminds me of those trying to automate the entire driving experience. Imagine the future when you can no longer override a malfunction by standing on the brakes!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks for the update on this and glad to hear they were able to find the problem. Sounds nuts. :crazyeyes:

akershner

Thanks for the update on this and glad to hear they were able to find the problem. Sounds nuts. :crazyeyes:

Thanks Eddie and all, I'm hoping this truly solves the issue but I think I'll forever be subconsciously alert when using the cruise control. Respect thy Jeep! :bowdown:

shortyokc

iv had my kick out 1 time also at 75-80mph driving into the wind uphill, the transmission was hunting gears back and forth and finally kicked out. hasn't happened since and at 10,000 miles now

akershner

The dealer was actually able to find a sensor nearby and was able to install in the same day I dropped it off. Mucho props to them for going out of their way to get me right again as soon as possible. Now if I could just get some of that east coast snow to drop on Minnesota, I could finally get out on snow patrol! :rock:

Top Bottom