Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: ROADSIDE AMERICA : Awesome Roadside Stops Along the Way!

This one is the oldest cowboy in Dodge City, sculpted by a dentist, it was the first public acknowledgement of the cities Wild West past: IMG_0966.JPG got a couple more to check out today or tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

ROADSIDE AMERICA : Awesome Roadside Stops Along the Way!

A few miles west of Dodge City is a place where you can park and check out part of the Santa Fe Trail, tracks are mostly gone but you can still see some of the indentions made by the wagons.IMG_0975.jpgIMG_0969.jpgIMG_0971.jpg

This is a path that takes you down into
    what was called Soule's Ditch supposed to be a canal that brought water from the Arkansas river into the area for farmers, due to evaporation, flooding, leakage and a busted dam it was never successful. IMG_0972.jpgThis is a path that will take you down to it

This path takes you farther into the field so you can see other parts of the trail that are mostly visibleIMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg part of the visitor "center" that explains what you're looking at, not a lot to it but an interesting stop to stretch your legs.

Last edited by Gadget; 05-20-2017 at 07:28 PM.

ROADSIDE AMERICA : Awesome Roadside Stops Along the Way!

Here we have the La Salsa Muffler Man, he is one of two muffler men that Dennis Hopper had commissioned for an art exhibit. He donated them to the city when he died in 2010. IMG_0984.jpg

Classic Coke can design painted on a silo, there also used to be a Coors beer can silo that got taken down for highway construction.IMG_1001.jpg.

Found this in Emporia Kansas.

Lucy the elephant in Margate City, NJ which was used originally to show off land when the town was being built. It was then a house at one point, a bar, and is now a tourist attraction where you can take a tour. I forget where but she has a sister which I think is smaller.

IMG_9356.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by hinrichs View Post
    Lucy the elephant in Margate City, NJ which was used originally to show off land when the town was being built. It was then a house at one point, a bar, and is now a tourist attraction where you can take a tour. I forget where but she has a sister which I think is smaller.
    OUTSTANDING BUMP to this great thread!

I see that there have been a lot of other posts I need to catch up on too

Bombs on the highway courtesy of the army ammunition depot in McAlester Oklahoma.IMG_2800.jpg don't piss us off.IMG_2799.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The Kill Bill Church

Lots of movies and commercials have been filmed in the Antelope Valley.

Here's a pic of the Kill Bill Church...

20181228_153531.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JeepFan View Post
    Lots of movies and commercials have been filmed in the Antelope Valley.

Here's a pic of the Kill Bill Church...
    Way cool! Awesome that you have so much neat stuff out there to see

Forgot about this thread...Ripley's in Newport, The Devils Punch Bowl...funny thing there is a Mo's a few feet away in a shack that is open in the summer, Enchanted Forest near Salem, and The Witch's Castle near Portland.
    IMG_20181104_110832005_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181103_110604017_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180706_102322842_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180706_105413851_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180706_145432414.jpg

IMG_20180706_145807540.jpg
    “Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
    Explore. Dream. Discover."

"Take a compass, because it's always awkward when you have to eat a friend."

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast