Wrangler mt/r kevlar???????

I've been seeing this on with everyone that runs the Goodyear Wranglers MT/R Kevlar tyre why do they always run the tyre back to front on the right side of the vehicle it really has me puzzled as to what advantages this would provide to on and off road use

The current MTR tread design is asymmetrical. They are designed to have a perticular side facing out (where the kevlar is) so one side will always be opposite the other.

that's a stupid design you think goodyear would have tyres running in the same direction cause having a tyre facing the opposite way will cause pull to one side and even uneven tyre wear ive worked in the tyre industry and have never seen tyres made like them

that's a stupid design you think goodyear would have tyres running in the same direction cause having a tyre facing the opposite way will cause pull to one side and even uneven tyre wear ive worked in the tyre industry and have never seen tyres made like them

Then honestly I dont think you have paid much attention to the tires. Many performance tires have asymmetric tread patterns. Even some touring tires have this for better water shedding.

I have the MTRs and have liked them. I do not have a pull and they are wearing very well (15k miles so far).

I know some (that I respect) do not share the same opinion as me on these tires and have experienced some of what you mentioned. Perhaps this is a terrain thing, I don't know. But I will say that they do better on my local trails than almost any other tire, "Stupid" design or not.

Then honestly I dont think you have paid much attention to the tires. Many performance tires have asymmetric tread patterns. Even some touring tires have this for better water shedding.

I have the MTRs and have liked them. I do not have a pull and they are wearing very well (15k miles so far).

I know some (that I respect) do not share the same opinion as me on these tires and have experienced some of what you mentioned. Perhaps this is a terrain thing, I don't know. But I will say that they do better on my local trails than almost any other tire, "Stupid" design or not.

Ok cool well just geuss it come down to opinion at the end of the day. Me personally im a toyo mt fan ive done 28000km on the and also ran them on 16psi for for about 7000km cause i forgot to air up stupid me and have even wear and still 80%tread thats on my amarok and on my JK im giving the KM2 a good see how they are for an around tyre

Without a doubt Toyo makes a good tire. I once considered BFG KM2 but having seen three have sidwall issues on the trail, they are no longer on my short list.

JohnnyD

I have these on my rig.

I'm still on the fence about them. The amount of weight necessary to get them just close to balanced is obscene.

I am going to have another shop give them a shot

I'm running them with atx 181's

Performance wise so far so good, but no trails yet

I have these on my rig.

I'm still on the fence about them. The amount of weight necessary to get them just close to balanced is obscene.

I am going to have another shop give them a shot

I'm running them with atx 181's

Performance wise so far so good, but no trails yet

Don't bother balancing unless the shop has a road force balancer. They are a bitch to balance and it is the only thing up to the task.

utiadam

LOSER
Don't bother balancing unless the shop has a road force balancer. They are a bitch to balance and it is the only thing up to the task.

We have a roadforce balancer at my shop and it has you spin the tire on the wheel to reduce the runout. I will not be spinning them on my beadlocks though, lol. Way too time consuming!

Yeep

I have the mtr/k's in 37's. I haven't had any issues with them, balance and drive fine although I only have about 3k-4k miles on them.

They do seem to show more wear quicker offroad though.

I had the Nitto trail grapplers (35's) on my last truck and loved them... 50k miles without a single issue. I wanted them for the jeep but they were on back order with no eta, so I went with the goodyears because I needed tires asap.

I will probably replace my goodyears with Nittos when the time comes, but as of right now I have no issues with the mtr/k's...... This may change once I start actually putting miles on the jeep though

they do look like good tyre might try them or the nitto tyres next as I have hear the BFG KM2 don't last to long but see how I go I guess

xrocknrollx

they do look like good tyre might try them or the nitto tyres next as I have hear the BFG KM2 don't last to long but see how I go I guess

I have heard nothing but bad about the second gen Goodyear mt/R's. I had the first gens on my tj and loved them. But after a friend had the 2nd gens and hated them I would not consider them at all, he had loud road noise and a hard time getting them balanced.

I have heard nothing but bad about the second gen Goodyear mt/R's. I had the first gens on my tj and loved them. But after a friend had the 2nd gens and hated them I would not consider them at all, he had loud road noise and a hard time getting them balanced.

so stay away for them then we are limited with tyre sizes here in Australia I could order from over sea but I don't wanna spend that much money on tyre. there's only a select group of tyre sizes are ordered for Australia cause of stupid laws

No tire is perfect... (and even if it was some hater on the Internet will make something up to justify the money they have spent)

BFG KM2 have weak sidewalls but have a long tread life (contrary to what is above)
MTR/k are tough to balance and early versions has sidewall problems. (Again, contrary to above, are the quietest MT I've heard)
Nitto and Toyo are great tires but are very heavy and some have significant radial pull.

Any MT or off road tire will wear poorly or get noisy when not rotated properly and often.

GR8WHITE

My MTR/K's were easy to balance. 2 of them didn't take any weights while the other 3 only took a couple.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm just a nobody who has no experience with anything so you can take this with a grain of salt but, I'm one of the guys who love the way the MT/R's look. Unfortunately, after testing them out, I have found them to be the WORST tire I have ever run. I could never get them balanced, their directional tread design caused funny tracking at highway speeds, they were unpredictable on the rocks and their sidewalls were weak. Now, if these were the ONLY tires I have ever run, I might not know what a better tire would be like. But hey, to each their own. Maybe the MT/R's have a QC problem and the ones I had as well as the ones Mel has had and the ones GCM 2 has had were just from a bad batch. We've all run them and none of us would run them again.

I'm just a nobody who has no experience with anything so you can take this with a grain of salt but, I'm one of the guys who love the way the MT/R's look. Unfortunately, after testing them out, I have found them to be the WORST tire I have ever run. I could never get them balanced, their directional tread design caused funny tracking at highway speeds, they were unpredictable on the rocks and their sidewalls were weak. Now, if these were the ONLY tires I have ever run, I might not know what a better tire would be like. But hey, to each their own. Maybe the MT/R's have a QC problem and the ones I had as well as the ones Mel has had and the ones GCM 2 has had were just from a bad batch. We've all run them and none of us would run them again.

^^^^ Eddie is one of the people I had in mind when I replied earlier that I knew had a different experience than I have had with these tires.

I won't pretend to know or make explanation for it but I do wonder if there were changes made later or perhaps geographical differences that play into this.

I will say this though, when you are spending as much as we do on a set of tires it is concerning that the MTRs seem to be hit or miss.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
^^^^ Eddie is one of the people I had in mind when I replied earlier that I knew had a different experience than I have had with these tires.

I won't pretend to know or make explanation for it but I do wonder if there were changes made later or perhaps geographical differences that play into this.

I will say this though, when you are spending as much as we do on a set of tires it is concerning that the MTRs seem to be hit or miss.

IF anything, I think it's the terrain we have out here in the west vs. where I find most people who love them tend to be. I find that people back east and in the south as well as Canadians all seem to love them. All the people I personally know and don't like them are all out here in the west. Mel was one of the first to test them out and boy does he have stories he can tell you about them. We jumped on about the same time and thought that might have been the issue as well. But then, there were guys like GCM 2 who came on later and then there was a more recent tire test I got to do with Nitto where we tested pretty much every MT out there out in Johnson Valley and the MT/R came in dead last. In fact, they were the very first to tear a sidewall. I should note that I used to be a fan of their old MT's and would still recommend them today if they were still made. I also recommend Duratracs all the times so this isn't a me not liking Goodyear thing. Of course, this is all based on my personal experience and if you or others have experiences to the contrary, that's awesome :yup:

Top Bottom