2012 SEMA B.A.D. - Bead Assist Device Eklipse 17 Wheels

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No pun intended, these B.A.D. or, Bead Assist Device Wheels are DOT compliant internal beadlocks and are seriously BAD ASS - Check it out!!

This is what the wheel actually looks like and, as you can see, the anchor points are located on the inside of the wheel...
main.php

This is a close up cross section of how it secures the bead of your tire...
main.php

main.php

It should be noted that the outter ring is actually NOT required to make it work. In fact, it is sold as a "sacrificial" ring or what some refer to as a rock ring and is more cosmetic than anything.
main.php

main.php

Here's a shot of the wheel with all the pieces...
main.php

Here's what it looks like mounted on a tire and without the sacrificial ring...
main.php

What it looks like complete with the sacrificial ring...
main.php

main.php

From their website:

Eklipse 17
Designed from the ground up to suite the varied needs of off road enthusiasts, the Eklipse 17 combines a DOT compliant internal beadlock with modular versatility. Integral to the beadlock system of each Eklipse 17 are six exterior anchor points that let you secure additional accessories. Items such as terrain-specific sacrificial rock rings enable consumers to modify the wheels appearance while fortifying areas that would otherwise be exposed to rock rash. Other features enable the Eklipse 17 the ability to provide tactical solutions to everyday problems. We didn’t set out to build another wheel, we wanted to reinvent it.

Specifications
Size: 17 x10 (in)
Weight: 38 (lbs) bare (no hardware) / 45.5 with hardware / 50.5 with hardware and 1/2-thick sacrificial rock ring
Backspace: 3.5 (in)
Available Lug Patterns: 5 on 4.5, 5 on 5, 5 on 5.5, 6 on 5.5, 6 on 6.5, 8 on 6.5, 8 on 170
Approved Tire Size: 42 (in)
Weight Capacity: 3,000 (lbs) 5 & 6 lug, 3,500 (lbs) 8 lug

RodCyn

Thanks for pointing this out. It's a very nice looking and innovative wheel. Looks like it has made it to one that I'm considering.

BONDSY

I don't think so. Not sure how it would work as a double as the single would be hard enough to install.

No kidding, I was examining every pic wondering how would one install the inner pieces. Those clips would be a PITA. I like the fact these wheels do offer a quick air release valve, if I'm seeing it right.

MTG

Caught the Bug
So I watched the video and have a question. For those that run "traditional" beadlocks how much more/less difficult will the installation of tires be on this wheel?

GCM 2

So I watched the video and have a question. For those that run "traditional" beadlocks how much more/less difficult will the installation of tires be on this wheel?

Only going of the photos and video, it does not look necessarily difficult, just really time consuming. It's definitely doable at home without tireshop type changing equipment, but when compared to traditional beadlocks, it looks like a pain in the ass!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Only going of the photos and video, it does not look necessarily difficult, just really time consuming. It's definitely doable at home without tireshop type changing equipment, but when compared to traditional beadlocks, it looks like a pain in the ass!

what he said. time consuming for sure but the benefits are significant. there are fewer bolts to to tighten down though :crazyeyes:

J-S

the good thing I see in this is that since over here bead lock wheels are illegal on the road we will not be harassed by cops. But saying this there is so many fake bead lock on the market that cops over here don't really know what to look for :cool:

JAGS

Hooked
They need to do a real video ala what mel did for the ATX slabs install. I do like the looks of these, but also wonder about maintenance. How often do you need to unseat the inner bead and check those bolts inside?

CedarRaider

There is a video on YouTube. They use a bobby type pin to keep the nut from backing off. Had a few shots of whiskey and can't think of the name of the pin.

CedarRaider

Thanks the angels envy whiskey and liga privada cigar was clouding my mind. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416016970.609115.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416016920.610503.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416016920.610503.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 82
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416016970.609115.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416016970.609115.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom