Squealing noise from the rear

Peak

I've had this jeep for about 8 months and when I first got it I noticed a squealing noise when I'd accelerate but it wasn't to bad so I just though nothing of it. It sounded like a belt from up front but I wasn't to sure. I haven't heard that sound in months but all of a sudden today I hear the same noise but 10 times worse. I'm hearing what sounds to be the same noise but from the rear. It happens all the time whether I'm accelerating or braking. It seems to switch, it will happen when I brake but not while accelerating and then the opposite. When it happens while I'm accelerating it gets louder and faster the faster I go. Any ideas I haven't had a chance to crawl up under there yet but I'm wondering if you guys can give me tips on where I should start. Thanks!

GR8WHITE

Warped/bent rear rotor? Maybe
I had a friend that had the same symptoms as you and it was because of a warped rotor.

Last edited:

Krawl1

Break pad clip. Change out the pads. At least that's what the annoying squealing was for me! Best feeling to drive the Jeep with the windows down, radio off and not hear squealing! Good luck.

Peak

Thanks for the input guys, I hope it's not a flange! I hope it's something as simple as a rotor or pad clip. I will remove the tire today and give it a look, thanks!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Thanks for the input guys, I hope it's not a flange! I hope it's something as simple as a rotor or pad clip. I will remove the tire today and give it a look, thanks!

Hopefully it's your brake pads and nothing major. If not, a dial indicator is a handy tool to check your rotor and flange

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've had this jeep for about 8 months and when I first got it I noticed a squealing noise when I'd accelerate but it wasn't to bad so I just though nothing of it. It sounded like a belt from up front but I wasn't to sure. I haven't heard that sound in months but all of a sudden today I hear the same noise but 10 times worse. I'm hearing what sounds to be the same noise but from the rear. It happens all the time whether I'm accelerating or braking. It seems to switch, it will happen when I brake but not while accelerating and then the opposite. When it happens while I'm accelerating it gets louder and faster the faster I go. Any ideas I haven't had a chance to crawl up under there yet but I'm wondering if you guys can give me tips on where I should start. Thanks!

Jack your rear axle from the pumpkin and rotate your wheels by hand to see if you can hear it. As others have mentioned, you very well could just have a brake pad guide clip that is shifting around and you should be able to see this without too much effort.

Peak

Thanks for the help guys I pulled off the tire and everything looked fine. Took off the pads and they were basically metal to metal. Went down to AutoZone and bought a new set and replaced the clips. Took it for a drive around the block and heard nothing. Hopefully that solved I will take it for a longer drive tonight just to be sure. Again, thanks everyone!

Top Bottom