The Garage thread

Lately ive been thinking about making some improvements to the garage to make installs and repairs a little more organized/efficient. That got me wondering how other people have their workspace setup. What works for you, and what doesnt? Throw up some pics of where all your hard work goes down.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Perfect thread timing! We are closing on our new house tomorrow and I am going to try to make the most of the deep two car garage. I'll need to be able to fit the Jeep and wife's van in the garage, but still hoping to make a pretty nice workshop.

One thing I can add to the discussion right off the bat has to do with flooring. At our house in Chicago, I did an epoxy flooring and it was worth its weight in gold. I went with a product called Epoxy Coat. It lays down about 5 times thicker than the big-box store's stuff. All said and done it looked like glass. Made working on the vehicles so nice and cleanup was a breeze. You can add a silica sand to the walkways, but I opted to just lay down heavy duty carpet runners along the walkways.

Edit to add a few pics:

Last edited:

Steamboat

Perfect thread timing! We are closing on our new house tomorrow and I am going to try to make the most of the deep two car garage. I'll need to be able to fit the Jeep and wife's van in the garage, but still hoping to make a pretty nice workshop.

One thing I can add to the discussion right off the bat has to do with flooring. At our house in Chicago, I did an epoxy flooring and it was worth its weight in gold. I went with a product called Epoxy Coat. It lays down about 5 times thicker than the big-box store's stuff. All said and done it looked like glass. Made working on the vehicles so nice and cleanup was a breeze. You can add a silica sand to the walkways, but I opted to just lay down heavy duty carpet runners along the walkways.

Edit to add a few pics:

Nice! We're closing on a house this month, too. I was considering doing the epoxy thing in the garage, I think you just made up my mind for me.

Napalm

here is my toy box, first my office/tool storage area:

and here is the actual shop area:

Thats an awesome shop!!!

We actually also just closed on our first house so the garage i posted above won't be mine for long. haven't had enough chances to plan for the new one yet!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I wont show pics cuz my garage is a disaster right now and packed full of stuff since I dont have a shed and need one badly, but sure wish I had the time to coat the floor. Dont think it would hold up to welding however.

dwmgcs

When I built my last shop at my old house I had perfect timing, I had a Tennant crew laying down 100,000 sq. ft. of 1/4" thick polyester coating in the building where I worked and ended up with enough extra material they gave me to put down a 1/4" layer on my shop floor, one of the guys actually brought over the scarfer and ground the surface before it went down, it was so nice, like an airplane hanger. Down side of coating the floor is they can be very slick, slipped and fell on my ass a few times from wet spots.

dwmgcs

I wont show pics cuz my garage is a disaster right now and packed full of stuff since I dont have a shed and need one badly, but sure wish I had the time to coat the floor. Dont think it would hold up to welding however.

Oh, and thats why there are no pictures of the left side, there is shit stacked high over there, materials for the remodel of my rental house.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Nice! We're closing on a house this month, too. I was considering doing the epoxy thing in the garage, I think you just made up my mind for me.

By far my favorite garage feature. Spill oil? Just wipe it up. Live in a winter climate? Just squeegee the floor every couple of days. Always looks brand new too! (OK, that may have sounded a bit like an infomercial!)

dwmgcs

I'm jealous.. Nice set up

I justify it by doing everything myself, I have never taken anything in to any shop or had anybody touch any of my stuff for 50 years, I do it all myself, whatever it is and that way I can afford the tools instead of paying somebody labor to do what I can do and I even built the shop myself too.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Yup. I gotta say ive got way more than i did before the JK. if i need a tool, i buy it. That way ill have a good tool stash w nice little specialty tools as well.

Yup! When I got my EVO Rock skins I bought the Astro Nutsert tool. Now I figure I already have the tool, so might as well get the rear corners! :cheesy:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
No shit. I did the exact same thing. That tool makes all the difference.

I've read so many threads where folks complain about the nutserts. With that tool, I bet I did one side (19 serts) in probably 10 min. And that included putting a little silicone on each one too!

I've read so many threads where folks complain about the nutserts. With that tool, I bet I did one side (19 serts) in probably 10 min. And that included putting a little silicone on each one too!

Believe me, i was one of those people until i go the astro. The hard part for me is drilling huge holes in my jeep lol.

Top Bottom