Cleaning undercarriage

alisonJKU

Hey guys,

Forgive me, because I'm still a newbie.

I've only pressure washed underneath once, and probably not as well as I should have. I've also tried to wipe stuff off that I could reach.
But what would you recommend I do or use to get all of this looking shiny and "new" again?

So far I've been told WD-40.
Thoughts?

Thank you. :)

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432084778.084807.jpg

Wizard

In Australia here I use a product from Chemtech called CT18. Not sure if it's available in the U.S.. Two cups mixed with about 8 ltrs of water, spray on and let soak in (overnight even), then pressure wash off. For the bits underneath with rock rash, then I use satin black pressure can paint.

dunstan74

In Australia here I use a product from Chemtech called CT18. Not sure if it's available in the U.S.. Two cups mixed with about 8 ltrs of water, spray on and let soak in (overnight even), then pressure wash off. For the bits underneath with rock rash, then I use satin black pressure can paint.

Were can you pick it up from And how does it work for you?

Wizard

Were can you pick it up from And how does it work for you?

I think Supercheap stocks it now. I buy mine in a 20 ltr drum. It's not cheap but does a great job.

I use it under the Jeep and also in the engine bay, and both are like new.

JeepFan

Hooked
What's areas would you spray or not spray. Curious how this would work and if any issues with any areas? Let it sit for a while....elbow grease required...other tips??

What I do is dampen a rag with WD40 and wipe down any area that I would like to brighten up. Works great on the frame and makes the axles look like new. Also works great on suspension parts. Will not cause issues on plastic, wiring or rubber hoses. Helps keep water out of helm joints and control arm bushings. Try not to get any on the serpentine belt. ;)

Last edited:

Spudcannons

What I do is dampen a rag with WD40 and wipe down any area that I would like to brighten up. Works great on the frame and makes the axles look like new. Also works great on suspension parts. Will not cause issues on plastic, wiring or rubber hoses. Helps keep water out of helm joints and control arm bushings. Try not to get any on the serpentine belt. ;)

This seems like a great idea /i'm going to try that out as well. As far what I do now for cleaning my undercarridge is a garden hose up close and personal so that will be better.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

Haven't thought about using on heim joints. Since it's water displacement, it should help with rust also I suppose. Does dirt stick to it or not that bad?

JeepFan

Hooked
I'm gonna give WD40 a shot this weekend

I think you will like the results! If you plan on using a rag to wipe down undercarriage and suspension, I would recommend wearing an old pair of gardening gloves to protect your hands from cuts and scratches. Ask me how I know that... :crazyeyes: Would be cool if you could post some before and after pics... :yup:

This seems like a great idea /i'm going to try that out as well. As far what I do now for cleaning my undercarriage is a garden hose up close and personal so that will be better.

Sounds great! I use the garden hose as well for light jobs. On occasion I actually spray WD40 on the worst areas, then head over to the car wash and use the pressure washer for a more thorough cleaning. Post some pics... :yup:

MIURA

I think you will like the results! If you plan on using a rag to wipe down undercarriage and suspension, I would recommend wearing an old pair of gardening gloves to protect your hands from cuts and scratches. Ask me how I know that... :crazyeyes: Would be cool if you could post some before and after pics... :yup:

Sounds great! I use the garden hose as well for light jobs. On occasion I actually spray WD40 on the worst areas, then head over to the car wash and use the pressure washer for a more thorough cleaning. Post some pics... :yup:

Yup gloves and some lab goggles to protect my eyes from all the mud! I'll try to get some pics for sure

JeepFan

Hooked
Haven't thought about using on heim joints. Since it's water displacement, it should help with rust also I suppose. Does dirt stick to it or not that bad?

I've had great luck with it on practically every undercarriage component. Dirt only seems to stick a little if you leave it on wet. I try not to leave it on wet to prevent stickage. :D In any case it looks great and last a long time! :thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'd listen to Tony. I've seen him pull out a rag and some sort of fancy windshield cleaner during a run before. He might give GCM 2 a run for his money on knowing his car cleaning products. I think they both got their Master's degrees at the same school. :yup:

JAGS

Hooked

Cool tips. May need ad this to the wash list.

JeepFan

Hooked
I'd listen to Tony. I've seen him pull out a rag and some sort of fancy windshield cleaner during a run before. He might give GCM 2 a run for his money on knowing his car cleaning products. I think they both got their Master's degrees at the same school. :yup:

:cheesy::cheesy: How the heck did I get such a rep? GCM2 is the master when it comes to cleaning his Jeep. I was in awe when I saw the pics of him polishing his Envy Links!

If you want to spend a few bucks, you could get an undercarriage adapter for your pressure washer.

Most washers have detergent settings as well.

I had no idea there were so many gadgets and chemicals to wash your undercarriage! :crazyeyes:

Cool tips. May need ad this to the wash list.

First, you need to get your Jeep dirty! ;)

Top Bottom