WAYALIFE Memorial Weekend Kick-Off to Summer Camping Trip Report 2015

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being a major holiday weekend at the tail end of spring, Cindy and I have always used Memorial Day Weekend as way to kick off summer and get back up into the mountains and do some camping. Ironically, the last few years had been more of a "winter finale" than anything and unfortunately, this year was pretty much more of the same or at least, for the first part of our trip. In spite of the fact that we decided to head out into the middle of Nevada where it should have been warm, we instead found ourselves in a storm that left the desert soggy and filled with mud. Still, we were able to have a ton of fun and the rest of the weekend ended up being nice, sunny and relaxing. Here are some photos from our trip, I hope you enjoy.

It had been a while since we took Rubicat out and so, we decided to pack her up for this one.
main.php

Loaded up and ready to head out.
main.php

Now that he lives out in our neck of the woods, it was easy to meet up with Trail Bud for the caravan out.
main.php

Filling up our Rotopax for our camping trip or what some like to call, "overlanding".
main.php

Trail Bud has been seeing a bit of oil consumption on his Jeep and so he decided to add a bit of oil before heading out.
main.php

Funny how there's a Jeep on the label - almost as if Mavericks knows something we don't.
main.php

The sun left us about as soon as we hit the road and the rain started to come down.
main.php

Taking a break from along the shores of Walker Lake.
main.php

main.php

main.php

The holiday traffic getting out of town on a Friday was murder.
main.php

Looks like more rain was heading our way.
main.php

Made it to our starting point in Tonopah - time to for a drink and wait for the rest of our friends to show up.
main.php

And here they are - CHEERS!!
main.php

Having a flight with our dinner over at the Tonopah Brewing Co.
main.php

CHEERS again!
main.php

Heading back to the hotel, we saw this amazing SUV.
main.php

Stephanie and Moochie having a great time with a one armed bandit back at the hotel.
main.php

Surprisingly, Moochie doubled his money on the nickel slot and made a whole $5!
main.php

Getting ready to head out the next morning with clouds and a light rain still falling.
main.php

main.php

Off the pavement and with a little dust kicking up, maybe it won't be so bad.
main.php

I see a little bit of blue sky.
main.php

After driving over 70 miles on Nevada superhighways (dirt roads), the old ghost town of Berlin was finally in sight.
main.php

Our first stop of the day - the old mining town of Berlin.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Time to do some exploring with our first stop over at the old stamp mill.
main.php

main.php

Looking back at the old homes and valley beyond.
main.php

Tony and I giving this old Dodge truck a look to see if we could get it running again.
main.php

Taking shelter from the rain in the old machine shop.
main.php

main.php

Looking back at our Jeeps, we noticed that MTG had arrived.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Checking out some of the cool relics that have been collected and were on display in the main cabin/office.
main.php

For some reason, you can't get on the internet with this thing.
main.php

Collection of old worn out tires.
main.php

Shotgun cheese grater.
main.php

Making our way over to the Diana Mine where we had signed up to take a tour of it.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Eva, Jackson and Wendy all suited up and ready head into the Diana Mine.
main.php

Our tour guide giving us a rundown of the mine's history before going in.
main.php

Hi-ho, hi-ho...
main.php

main.php

Signs to inform you that this is in fact a safe place to be in.
main.php

Ummm, Alex, you might not want to step back.
main.php

An old compressed air drill still in place.
main.php

Dynamite!
main.php

Cool ore bucket on a ladder designed to also serve as guide rails.
main.php

Light at the end of the tunnel.
main.php

Hurry up and close it up!
main.php

After our mine tour, we quickly headed up the hill to get in on the Ichthyosaur dig site tour.
main.php

main.php

Here's a life size mural of what one would have looked like.
main.php

Our tour guide showing us a model of what a shonisaurus would have looked like. This is the type of Ichthyosaur that lived in this area and it is also the largest of its kind.
main.php

Looking across the field of bones.
main.php

main.php

main.php

More pics below...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After our fun over at the Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park, we got back in our Jeeps and headed out to do some more exploring and to find a campsite.
main.php

Unfortunately for us, the rain just wouldn't let up and if anything, it was starting to come down harder. This made all the trails we were on a slippery and sloppy mess.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Tony simply couldn't take it anymore and had to try and do what I could to clean his Jeep.
main.php

However pointless it may be.
main.php

Home for the night?
main.php

main.php

I'm sorry sir but, do you have reservations?
main.php

Sitting at over 7,000 ft. up and with no signs of the rain letting up, we decided to give up on our campsite for the night and work our way back down into the valley below.

Low on gas and still unsure of what we were going to do, we made our way to a sleepy town where amazingly, there was a gas station still open.
main.php

main.php

"How much is it a gallon?!"
main.php

Bummer, just noticed I was leaking something.
main.php

After giving things a closer look, I found that the coil over reservoir hose had gotten crushed between the frame rail and body from a hard hit and was now leaking.
main.php

With the rain still coming and with the ground a muddy mess everywhere, we all decided to make our way to the nearest town with a hotel and call it a night. As luck would have it, the following morning was gorgeous and so we headed back out and off the beaten path.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Home for the rest of our trip. Time for some rest and relaxation.
main.php

main.php

A local decided to come out to say hello.
main.php

Of course, part of that R&R was to do some rock-hounding.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Along the way, we found the remnants of an old crumbling reservoir dam.
main.php

There weren't a whole lot out but, there were a few wildflowers in bloom.
main.php

Back at camp near sundown.
main.php

To an awesome weekend with good friends - CHEERS!!
main.php

A ton more pics can be found from our trip on our Mega Thread here:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?27463-WAYALIFE-Kick-Off-to-Summer-Run-2015-Mega-Thread

I hope you enjoyed following us on our adventures over the Memorial Day Weekend. As always, it was more of a winter finale than anything but when you're with good friends, it's always a ton of fun. A BIG THANKS goes out to everyone who joined us for this trip as Cindy and I had a great time with all of you. We are so looking forward to doing it again soon. :cool:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Again, it looks like it was an awesome time. :thumb::yup:
Thank you for sharing the pics.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Your pictures make me feel like I was there! ;)

Great report. Thanks for organizing this. We had a fantastic time. :yup:

Moochie

So much mud but, a ton of fun! Thanks for the adventure and for getting a chance to see some very remote areas of the vast state of Nevada. You can drive for ever out here. :)

JAGS

Hooked
Looks like a great time, even with the rain and muck. Bummed I could bring the fam out for this. Thanks for sharing!!

RuiJeep

Great pics and thanks for sharing your trip. Gonna put this one on the list. GREAT educational experience for the kids.

JeepFan

Hooked
Another awesome adventure in the books! :thumb: Thank you Eddie and Cindy for putting this run together and showing us a small part of the promised land... Can't wait to get back up there for more exploring. :yup:

Top Bottom