Bead locks?

bowtech50

Is there more maintenance in having bead locks? I am considering Method 105`s or Mopar`s on my daily driver. Wondering if there are added issues to having them?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With bead locks like those, I would be checking your ring bolts on a regular basis. Not uncommon to have them break.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
^this.

Pretty much with any beadlock, checking the ring bolts routinely is good practice. That said, with my Slabs, I found a couple of bolts just short of full torque 500mi down the road, but I haven't found one loose since and I've been checking them at every oil change.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Never had a single slab bolt break on me. It, the chamber pro II's and Spyderloc's all use the same ring and bolts - by far the best bead locks I have run.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I've been running the method 105s for over a year and haven't had a bolt so much as loosen yet. I have smashed up the rock rings a lot and so far they are holding great. I daily drive mine so i have put probably 10k road miles on them too. That said, the slab bolt heads are more protected and the rock rings are tougher. I have several friends who run them and their rings are in much better shape then mine. I just wanted something different.

My one friend won a set of the mopars in Moab, the first set. Unlike the methods and most other bead locks, the bolt heads are flush with outside of the ring versus recessed into ring. I'd think they are much likely to get damaged.

BigBoy

With bead locks like those, I would be checking your ring bolts on a regular basis. Not uncommon to have them break.

What exactly do you mean when you say "like those?" Are you referring to bead locks with an exposed bolt? Is there some reason these would come loose more often or is there a different aspect to the design you are referring to?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What exactly do you mean when you say "like those?" Are you referring to bead locks with an exposed bolt? Is there some reason these would come loose more often or is there a different aspect to the design you are referring to?

"Like those" as in, they have small bolts and thin rings that sandwich the tire bead but never really sit metal to metal. That more than the bolt heads being exposed can/will lead to bolt failure. But hey, that's just what I have seen over the years. You can take it for what it's worth.

Jk909

I was just looking at the slabs on northridge 4x4 and I noticed it said they weren't street legal. What's up with that?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
"Like those" as in, they have small bolts and thin rings that sandwich the tire bead but never really sit metal to metal. That more than the bolt heads being exposed can/will lead to bolt failure. But hey, that's just what I have seen over the years. You can take it for what it's worth.

And flying rings are scary shit.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Pretty sure Hutchinson Rockmonsters are about the only DOT approved beadlock out there. It's a PITA and not inexpensive to get DOT approval. So, unless you get Rockmonsters, you are buying "off road only" wheels.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty sure Hutchinson Rockmonsters are about the only DOT approved beadlock out there. It's a PITA and not inexpensive to get DOT approval. So, unless you get Rockmonsters, you are buying "off road only" wheels.

This ^^^
All other bead locks are NOT DOT approved

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
This is why they aren't street legal. Happened to my buddy on way to moab on freeway at 75mph twoyearsago. Needed new shorts about sums it up.

Attachments

• 1435720750077.jpg
    1435720750077.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 346

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
There's not very many bead locks, maybe aev that are dot approved. I think lots of money and paper work are involved.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is why they aren't street legal. Happened to my buddy on way to moab on freeway at 75mph twoyearsago. Needed new shorts about sums it up.

And that's why I would never run any other bead lock other than a Slab, Chamber Pro II or Spyderloc again In spite of the fact that a bunch out there look pretty cool.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
^^^ actually it is. FMVSS states you cannot have a mechanical device holding the bead to the rim. Reason being is a broken bolt can cause bead to let go as in above.

They are Trail Readys.

Hutchinson, BAD, and H1 wheels are the only DOT approved ones I'm aware of. Hutchinson and H1 wheels the rim halves bolt together so it passes DOT regs. BAD squeezes bead from inside against bead ring is how they pass

Top Bottom