Black Rubicon (Tucker) Build

I've been viewing peoples builds over the last few weeks and like the idea of it being kind of a journal of their rig. I came across a great deal on a 2012 JKUR about three years ago. I added a few things right away but wanted to wait until the warranty was up before adding a lift.

Build list:
Quadratec Q9000lb winch Done - Changed to a 12K Smittybilt X2O
Stubby End Cap (bumper) Done - Changed to a Smittybilt front bumper XRC
Directus backup mirror and camera Done
Plastic Dip my running boards Done - Changed to Rubincon Sliders with rub rails (GatorHide)
Rubicon Express 3.5" Standard w/ Mono Shocks Done
Rubicon Express Adjustable Upper Control arms (front/rear) Done
Longer front brake lines Done
35" BFG's Done 315/70R17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T - Now have Open Country 37's
Aftermarket rear bumper with tire carrier. Haven't decided on which one yet. JCR rear bumper with tire carrier, Done
Synergy axle gussets Done
Front and Rear Axle Trusses Done
Rock Sliders Done (Add pipe to Rubicon Sliders)
JE Reel Front Drive Shaft Done
JE Reel Rear Drive Shaft
Aftermarket Ball Joints Done
Larger Brakes!! Done...Crown Big Brake Kit
Oil Pan Skid
Regear Done - 5.13

Here's a couple pictures of what I started with. It had about 7,000 miles on it when I purchased it from a guy in St. Louis. He actually held it for me for a month. Stand-up guy!

IMG_3224.JPG IMG_3351.resized.jpg

Last edited:
Front bumper with Winch

Yeah, the whole 1-2 hours to install the winch plate took about two days because of having to relocate factory parts. I'm sure others have came across the same problem.

front bumper.jpg

Plastic Dip Running Boards

The chrome was starting to flake, so it was time to paint them. I removed as much of the chrome as possible.

Plastic dip running boards.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice!! The running boards look a lot better black but if plan on wheeling your Jeep, you'll want to look into replacing them with something that can offer a bit more protection. The bumper end caps are always a nice addition too :)

Nice!! The running boards look a lot better black but if plan on wheeling your Jeep, you'll want to look into replacing them with something that can offer a bit more protection. The bumper end caps are always a nice addition too :)

Yeah, I plan on replacing the running boards after they get crushed. You think I should paint the wheels to match or leave them gray?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I plan on replacing the running boards after they get crushed. You think I should paint the wheels to match or leave them gray?

If it were me, I would leave the wheels as is. Black wheels have been the rage for a long time and maybe because of it, I find them to be kind of boring now. But, that's just me.

xkid

If your side steps get crushed, it could do damage to the body. Unless you don't need to open and close your doors.

If your side steps get crushed, it could do damage to the body. Unless you don't need to open and close your doors.

Good point. Sounds like that needs to be on the top of my list. We don't have any really large rocks around here so I should be fine for a bit.

RE 3.5 with factory 32"

Insert laugh here if you like. I'm sure I'll get some but I plan on riding this way until the tread is gone. Believe me I know will look better with 35" on there but I don't think it is horrible this way either. Better than stock IMO. Call me crazy but I find it important to see past/over the person in front of you.

Lift with factory tires.jpg

07JKSahara

Insert laugh here if you like. I'm sure I'll get some but I plan on riding this way until the tread is gone. Believe me I know will look better with 35" on there but I don't think it is horrible this way either. Better than stock IMO. Call me crazy but I find it important to see past/over the person in front of you.

View attachment 152445

Maybe it's just me, but looks good. I think a little stance on these jk is good. I had a few days between lift and tires and I realized I kinda liked it with full fenders.

Good looking jeep.

Maybe it's just me, but looks good. I think a little stance on these jk is good. I had a few days between lift and tires and I realized I kinda liked it with full fenders.

Good looking jeep.

Thanks! I have a long ways to go and a limited budget. I have two hobbies, Jeeps and brewing beer. Hard to decide which to throw more money at.....

Backup Mirror

Not the best picture but you get the idea. Pretty sure I'm going to have to relocate when I get my larger tires. You can see part of the tread in the top of the monitor right now.
backup mirror.jpg
Added a front camera also.
IMG_6062.jpg

Last edited:
Had to replace the battery on Monday. Jeep wouldn't start. Great way to start a week out. But on the flip side, I'm glad that is all that was wrong with it.

Still trying to decide what 35" I'm putting on Tucker. I only go off-road a few times a year (not counting out on the farm) so I don't need something bullet proof. I know I'm staying with a Mud tire but other than that I can't narrow down the search.

griff97TJ

Had to replace the battery on Monday. Jeep wouldn't start. Great way to start a week out. But on the flip side, I'm glad that is all that was wrong with it.

Still trying to decide what 35" I'm putting on Tucker. I only go off-road a few times a year (not counting out on the farm) so I don't need something bullet proof. I know I'm staying with a Mud tire but other than that I can't narrow down the search.

I went with the mastercraft mtx35 so i dont wear out my maxxis 37s plus they are on the cheap side and they dont have alot of road noise I picked up a full set of 5 for under 900 so far they are wearing good and they look pretty good

How do you like that back up mirror? I was thinking about getting one as well, any feedback and details appreciated. Thanks

Screen is good quality and I like it up high rather than down on the dash somewhere. The Bluetooth sucks balls. Won't stay linked to the phone. Tech support was a joke. They would just tell me to do a hard reboot (disconnect from power source). That would work for about a day. I just gave up on using it as a hands free device. I plan on adding another camera to the front license plate. It allows you to toggle between the two cameras.

Overall I'm happy with it. It's a couple years old so I'm sure there are better options now out there.

I went with the mastercraft mtx35 so i dont wear out my maxxis 37s plus they are on the cheap side and they dont have alot of road noise I picked up a full set of 5 for under 900 so far they are wearing good and they look pretty good

Funny you pointed these tires out. I've been really debating on getting them being they are in the right price range. Where did you get them for $900? The best I've found around here is $1,300.

griff97TJ

My only concern with the Mastercraft mxt's are the sidewalls are only 2-ply. Have you had any issues on the rocks/tree stumps?

Those are my daily driver tires I run maxxis creepy crawlers in 37s when I wheel I haven't had any trouble with them at all for any reason though its like my 4th different set of them they would hold up good with some light wheeling

Top Bottom