A bit of advice from the regulars if I may...

BDSJEEP

Or maybe more of a kind of WAYALIFE "protocol" question I guess.

As a brand new crawler N00b with a stock 2015 JKUR, should I wait and try to grab a spot on the March 2016 Newbie run trip?

Or should I dive right in, fly around solo and/or sign up for any "easy" runs that may spontaneously pop up between now and then?

I mean, I don't want to be a liability to any group or anything, but I am SOOOO anxious to get out there and start learning!

What would some of you more seasoned guys recommend?

Thanks! :beer:

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
The only way you learn is by doing. Be careful going out alone if you are not familiar with the area, your abilities, or your rig. While it is always better to go with someone if possible, I certainly wouldn't wait around if you have the ability and comfort level to explore a bit.

Even simple rocky roads will help teach you wheel placement and every experience will make you a better driver.

Sharky hit it on the head. Try to get to know some of the local guys/gals from your area on here. Make a few trips with them. Most of us are more than happy to tell/ show you how much we know( hahahah). It's so addicting!!!!

Dean454

Get out there break shit and replace it with better stuff. In the meantime you're learning and you're building your jeep.

Rox Star

As a brand new crawler N00b with a stock 2015 JKUR, should I wait and try to grab a spot on the March 2016 Newbie run trip?

Or should I dive right in, fly around solo and/or sign up for any "easy" runs that may spontaneously pop up between now and then?

I mean, I don't want to be a liability to any group or anything, but I am SOOOO anxious to get out there and start learning!

I know this is a short hop but we are wheeling/camping this weekend (Fri-Sun) up near Paridise...Easy trails (so I am told) with lots of kids. Great group to hook up with. You would be welcome to join us for all/part of the weekend.

Panda

Watch for trips in northern cal posted in upcoming trips and events we usually have a few every year open to stock jeeps, we always welcome new wayalifers :thumb:

BDSJEEP

I'm waiting for the newbie run, can't wait hopefully will see you there

I hope so too RoughRider, I hope so too! :thumb:

The only way you learn is by doing. Be careful going out alone if you are not familiar with the area, your abilities, or your rig. While it is always better to go with someone if possible, I certainly wouldn't wait around if you have the ability and comfort level to explore a bit.

Even simple rocky roads will help teach you wheel placement and every experience will make you a better driver.

I completely agree Sharky! Personally, I learn best by just diving in head first (even if that may be a more costly method)! Thank you for the reply!

Yeah, we have a OHV park near by called Carnegie out here, that has some simple stuff to learn the vehicle and all. But having a seasoned vet with you makes a huge difference as he can debrief you and tell you what you do right and wrong, as opposed to being totally solo and developing bad habits simply because you don't know any better. Hence why the signing up for spontaneous AWAYALIFE groups idea.

But again, I agree with everything you said. Thanks again for the reply.

Sharky hit it on the head. Try to get to know some of the local guys/gals from your area on here. Make a few trips with them. Most of us are more than happy to tell/ show you how much we know( hahahah). It's so addicting!!!!

Agreed. Thanks Aspen, I have indeed sent out a few friend requests from those I see local and/or whom responded to my wave thread. Thanks.

^^^ X10 on what Sharkey said. Get to know your Jeep first.

Thanks dwvninety, but do you think going alone may teach me bad habits? Or not really, considering it will be very simple stuff....

Thanks all for the responses :beer:

BDSJEEP

I know this is a short hop but we are wheeling/camping this weekend (Fri-Sun) up near Paridise...Easy trails (so I am told) with lots of kids. Great group to hook up with. You would be welcome to join us for all/part of the weekend.

Yeah, I was watching that thread thinking I could juggle schedules...ha...but it's too short of notice unfortunately. But thank you for the kind offer.

Sh0rtBus

LOSER
Again....late to the party as always. But I'll throw out my opinion anyway.

Get out and wheel your rig as much as you can now so you can learn how it will react in certain situations. I think you'll be surprised at what a stock Jeep can actually handle, especially the Rubicon. Yeah, you'll probably beat the shit outta' the stock skid plates, but that's what they're there for. Once you figure out your driving style, then pick your lift components, etc. based on what you feel needs improvement. Having a capable rig is great and all, but it means nothing if you can't drive it properly.

There's my :twocents:

07JKSahara

Careful, I'll hold you to that. :yup: ;)

Thanks all,

CHEERS! :beer:

Please do, we love getting out and meeting new people.

What is said above by short bus is smart words. Wheel it the way it is now, and you'll spend money on mods that matter. No sense in replacing a part if the stock one is fine. If we make it out to Carnegie you can ride with us over some stuff, see what a different build gets you. Then go from there.

Last edited:

Slavens

Caught the Bug
Honestly I think the only way someone is a "liability" is 1. Having a bad attitude 2. Not willing to take sound advice or listening to your spotter on the trail. That's just my opinion anyways. Stock Jeep? Who cares that's why we all have recovery equipment. You picked the right group to learn from so many good people on WAYALIFE and so much experience and people willing to help .

Welcome!!

07JKSahara

Honestly I think the only way someone is a "liability" is 1. Having a bad attitude 2. Not willing to take sound advice or listening to your spotter on the trail. That's just my opinion anyways. Stock Jeep? Who cares that's why we all have recovery equipment. You picked the right group to learn from so many good people on WAYALIFE and so much experience and people willing to help .

Welcome!!

Well said. A good attitude (and a tow strap) will get you out of anything. My first run with these guys was in the snow. I buried my jeep for 1 1/2 hrs. I was mortified they'd shun me. Those exact same people are the ones i wheel with most now, and they've tugged me out since then.

Rccrwlr

Well said. A good attitude (and a tow strap) will get you out of anything. My first run with these guys was in the snow. I buried my jeep for 1 1/2 hrs. I was mortified they'd shun me. Those exact same people are the ones i wheel with most now, and they've tugged me out since then.

Hey I was there. They pulled me the last 200 yards in that snow!

Panda

Hey I was there. They pulled me the last 200 yards in that snow!

If your not getting strapped your not wheeling hard enough :D

Top Bottom