Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 LA Auto Show : Mopar Sand Trooper Jeep JK Wrangler

Caught the Bug
    Thanks for bring up this old thread. I've never seen this jeep before. I'm really digging that rear bumper.

I really don't think Mopar built that. Anyone seen this bumper before.

Nothing but a Thing IBeHeWhoIsJoshua's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper Jr. View Post
    How come portal axles aren't that popular? I would think anybody who wants more clearance at the diff would get some. Wouldn't they also allow larger tires with less lift?
    Is there something bad about portals that I'm missing?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I believe this rig had stock suspension and 37" tires. The axles provide around 4" of lift. They cost around $12k/ea. I had come across a build and they drove it around town and stuff...don't remember if they mentioned why but they said it wasn't good for daily driving (I believe Jeep/Mopar even states not for the street). Maybe axle wrap is a problem? I would love a set, would also love an extra $24k sitting in my bank account

Due to the design of a portal axle, it creates a tremendous amount of leverage compared to a stock axle. Because of this, combined with highway speeds, it places increased stress on suspension components and especially your control arms. When I spoke with Dynatrac, they also said ABS would not work with this axle either.
    2013 Dune JKU Rubicon <-- Build Thread

37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" ATX Slabs, EVO BO Coilovers Front and Rear, GenRight Rear Tire Carrier, RK Front lower Control Arms, Adams 1310 Front DS, LOD Sliders, DynoMax Comp Exhaust, EVO ProTek Skids, Fender Trim, EVO 1/4 Pounder and stinger, Warn 9.5ti, EVO C-Gussets, AEV Procal, Trektop NX

***Buy Jeep parts Made in the U.S.A.!!!***

Nothing but a Thing IBeHeWhoIsJoshua's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StrizzyChris View Post
    Due to the design of a portal axle, it creates a tremendous amount of leverage compared to a stock axle. Because of this, combined with highway speeds, it places increased stress on suspension components and especially your control arms. When I spoke with Dynatrac, they also said ABS would not work with this axle either.
    So you're getting portal axles??

Hell yeah! They're going on right after my coilovers....hold your breath!
    2013 Dune JKU Rubicon <-- Build Thread

37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" ATX Slabs, EVO BO Coilovers Front and Rear, GenRight Rear Tire Carrier, RK Front lower Control Arms, Adams 1310 Front DS, LOD Sliders, DynoMax Comp Exhaust, EVO ProTek Skids, Fender Trim, EVO 1/4 Pounder and stinger, Warn 9.5ti, EVO C-Gussets, AEV Procal, Trektop NX

***Buy Jeep parts Made in the U.S.A.!!!***

Definitely a very nice clean looking JK. The cleaned up and spareless tailgate and rear bumper caught my eye right away. The portal axles...not so much. Hell, I could barely afford to replace my stock JKUR's BFG's with new Trail Graps.
    Embrace the Recoil!

Quote Originally Posted by StrizzyChris View Post
    Due to the design of a portal axle, it creates a tremendous amount of leverage compared to a stock axle. Because of this, combined with highway speeds, it places increased stress on suspension components and especially your control arms.
    I'd be interested to know where you heard this from.

When I spoke with Dynatrac, they also said ABS would not work with this axle either.
    This is the BIGGEST if not ONLY reason that I know of why you cannot run Portals on a JK. It has no tone ring and therefore, you cannot run a speed sensor on it. Unfortunately, the JK requires this.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I'd be interested to know where you heard this from.

This is the BIGGEST if not ONLY reason that I know of why you cannot run Portals on a JK. It has no tone ring and therefore, you cannot run a speed sensor on it. Unfortunately, the JK requires this.
    I thought you could order portal axles right from jeep for the jk? I can't remember what mag I read it in, I did look at them online and they had a price tag north of 12g a pair. Maybe they were for off road only, I didn't look that far into them.
    I'm either out jeepin' or perparing to go out jeepin'!

My bad, 12g per axle!
    Here's the article I read, I don't see how they can sell them if they won't work with the jk's computer.
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tr...-portal-axles/
    I'm either out jeepin' or perparing to go out jeepin'!

I know they had them on display at SEMA in the past and even had a part number but it doesn't change the fact that a JK with them on WILL have issues due to the fact that they do NOT have speed sensors. Even the engineers at Chrysler I know have verified this to me as well as Dynatrac.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast