Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: 2012 LA Auto Show : Mopar Sand Trooper Jeep JK Wrangler

  1. #1
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    51,265

    2012 LA Auto Show : Mopar Sand Trooper Jeep JK Wrangler

    I know we've posted up a bunch of pics already from the 2012 SEMA Show but, I thought I would posts up more that we took at the 2012 LA Auto Show as it was on the ground and a lot more accessible this time around. Anyway, for your viewing pleasure, I bring you, the Mopar Sand Trooper






































  2. #2
    Old Timer JKAnimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    East TX
    Posts
    2,757
    Looks like someone did some sloppy last minute wiring on their Rigid lights. On the underside shots you can see the wire running to the back. It looks like the wire Rigid supplies in their wiring harness. In one pic looking forward it looks like there is a bunch of red wire kind of stuffed up behind the gearbox. It sure would suck to get that caught in the rear drive shaft!

    Maybe it's some sort of plug coming up from the floor to run their lights??

    I want a pair of those axles!!
    Last edited by JKAnimal; 11-29-2012 at 05:48 PM.

  3. #3
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    29,622
    Yeah hope those wires get put up before it hits the trails.

    Otherwise I really like it!
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

    2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

    2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

    1975 DJ5

  4. #4
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    51,265
    LOL!! it is required that all vehicles inside a show like this have 1/4 tank of gas or less and that the battery be disconnected. the power cord you guys see is something that most vehicles on display have and it's just there to give the power to the vehicle so that they can show off things like lights, head unit, etc.

  5. #5
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southgate, MI
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Doknocker View Post
    Looks like someone did some sloppy last minute wiring on their Rigid lights. On the underside shots you can see the wire running to the back. It looks like the wire Rigid supplies in their wiring harness. In one pic looking forward it looks like there is a bunch of red wire kind of stuffed up behind the gearbox. It sure would suck to get that caught in the rear drive shaft!

    Maybe it's some sort of plug coming up from the floor to run their lights??

    I want a pair of those axles!!
    Little did you realize that this is actually the first ever Jeep JK Electric. That black cord is connected to the battery charger. The range is about 60 miles, but if you have a really long extension cord....

  6. #6
    Old Timer JKAnimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    East TX
    Posts
    2,757
    Quote Originally Posted by JThompson

    Little did you realize that this is actually the first ever Jeep JK Electric. That black cord is connected to the battery charger. The range is about 60 miles, but if you have a really long extension cord....
    ROFL
    The ANIMAL Build Thread

    2012 JKUR 6 spd Manual; 5.13 gears; 4:1, CRUSH


    Done so far: Pro Comp 17x9 wheels, 37" NITTO Trail Grapplers, EVO Enforcer 4" Lift, 2.5 Spec. King Shocks/Compression Adjusters, 5.13 Gears, RR Aluminum Billet Hood Latches, Truck-Lite LED Headlights, Rigid Dually LEDs, Cobra 75 CB, Wild Boar Roof Rack, Tom Woods 1310 Front Drive shaft

  7. #7
    Hooked Markymark420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Rancho Mision Viejo, CA
    Posts
    178
    So do those portal axles have gears on the outboard ends of the shafts that drive a geared hub? Similar to a solid axle version of the Humvee drivetrain?

  8. #8
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    51,265
    Quote Originally Posted by JThompson View Post
    Little did you realize that this is actually the first ever Jeep JK Electric. That black cord is connected to the battery charger. The range is about 60 miles, but if you have a really long extension cord....


    Quote Originally Posted by Markymark420 View Post
    So do those portal axles have gears on the outboard ends of the shafts that drive a geared hub? Similar to a solid axle version of the Humvee drivetrain?
    yes, that's exactly what it's like

  9. #9
    Been Around the Block Jeeper Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    321
    How come portal axles aren't that popular? I would think anybody who wants more clearance at the diff would get some. Wouldn't they also allow larger tires with less lift?
    Is there something bad about portals that I'm missing?

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Happy Trails!

  10. #10
    Knows a Thing or Two Zstairlessone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper Jr. View Post
    How come portal axles aren't that popular? I would think anybody who wants more clearance at the diff would get some. Wouldn't they also allow larger tires with less lift?
    Is there something bad about portals that I'm missing?

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Additional gear reduction (good for rocks too) and $$$$$

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS