Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PR44 Questions

Drew at OR EVO has answered this very well. The Rubicon electric diff requires unique shaft lengths. No other diff will use those shafts. Therefore I recommend going with our conventional PR44 housing, an ARB, and if you choose not to go with RCV, then Dynatrac will offer 4340, 30spl, front, 1350 joint, US made shafts imminently.

If you are after 35 spline shafts in the front, then I would not do so unless you also upgrade the wheel ends to our Pro Series ends and 1480 shafts. That’s the same as our ProRock60 wheel end. That is a bigger step up in cost, but is the ultimate 44-class front axle. That is what we installed on the Jeep NuKizer, and other custom, low body height builds.

The total low-cost way to go is with a PR44, re-use your Rubicon internals, Rubicon shafts, stock wheel ends, and stock brakes. The big drawback is that any time you need a replacement factory Rubicon diff for your front axle, it is about $1500 last time I looked. They are a good unit, but not anywhere near the durability of an ARB. The latest Eaton 44 E-locker is also another choice if you prefer electric activation.

www.dynatrac.com
    Customer Support Phone: 714-596-4461
    Customer Support email: expeditor@dynatrac.com

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynatrac View Post
    Drew at OR EVO has answered this very well. The Rubicon electric diff requires unique shaft lengths. No other diff will use those shafts. Therefore I recommend going with our conventional PR44 housing, an ARB, and if you choose not to go with RCV, then Dynatrac will offer 4340, 30spl, front, 1350 joint, US made shafts imminently.

If you are after 35 spline shafts in the front, then I would not do so unless you also upgrade the wheel ends to our Pro Series ends and 1480 shafts. That’s the same as our ProRock60 wheel end. That is a bigger step up in cost, but is the ultimate 44-class front axle. That is what we installed on the Jeep NuKizer, and other custom, low body height builds.

The total low-cost way to go is with a PR44, re-use your Rubicon internals, Rubicon shafts, stock wheel ends, and stock brakes. The big drawback is that any time you need a replacement factory Rubicon diff for your front axle, it is about $1500 last time I looked. They are a good unit, but not anywhere near the durability of an ARB. The latest Eaton 44 E-locker is also another choice if you prefer electric activation.
    Thanks for the Reply!

As I mentioned I already switched the rear to an ARB. (I broke the coil connector when doing my gear swap ), so going ARB in the front is what I prefer. I am not a fan of the Eaton E-Lockers. It is what is currently in my wife's Jeep and I don't like how it takes 180 degrees of slip to lock with every change in direction. Plus the little grommet is sub-par at sealing gear oil and the little pins on the connector corrode very easily. (I suspect you already know all that but shared for the sake of other readers.)

I had considered the 44/60 hybid, but was worried this moved the weakness to the R&P. What are your thoughts on this? Also, turning radius is very important to me and it is my understanding I will loose some with the 60 outers.
    Last edited by jnabird333; 10-07-2015 at 01:37 PM.

man, had no idea of all the different choices and combinations there were for a pr44
    But did have a couple questions answered for myself as well.

fwiw if you end up going through Northridge they too have some knowledgeable folks who can help you configure/build the entire axle so it ships ready to swap in. I worked with Sean to get mine built (Unlimited/ARB/RCV/Synergy/bracket preweld) and the only thing I had to do was add oil, dial in the caster, and break it in.
    - iRonin aka "Thanos"
    | Build Thread | Instagram | Youtube |

Quote Originally Posted by iRonin View Post
    fwiw if you end up going through Northridge they too have some knowledgeable folks who can help you configure/build the entire axle so it ships ready to swap in. I worked with Sean to get mine built (Unlimited/ARB/RCV/Synergy/bracket preweld) and the only thing I had to do was add oil, dial in the caster, and break it in.
    I personally wouldn't order from northridge when it comes to a big piece of equipment like an axle. Who knows who is building your axle on a given day. Your backlash might be set differently compared to the next guy. I would order through either dynatrac directly or ORE who sends the order over to dynatrac to build.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

-
    I personally wouldn't order from northridge when it comes to a big piece of equipment like an axle. Who knows who is building your axle on a given day. Your backlash might be set differently compared to the next guy. I would order through either dynatrac directly or ORE who sends the order over to dynatrac to build.
    Couple Facts here:

We have built more pro rock 44's than any other retailer
    We have a very strict QA process that each housing goes through prior to shipping
    Dynatrac has very strict guidelines as well on who they allow to setup there axles and we are one of them.
    Backlash is a precise measurement that doesn't just get set differently based on the person who builds the axle.
    We have two guys that do nothing but build pro rock 44' and 60's in house in Washington and each one of these gets multiple Quality checks before it leaves.

America is a great country and you get to choose what you do with your money and people are entitled to an opinion.

David

Knows a Thing or Two
    LOL!!! not sure how this thread took a turn, but hey, such is the intrawebs...

-
    I have purchased many parts from Northridge and they have ALWAYS backed their work and products well beyond my expectations. As mentioned... Backlash isn't something that can just be set "differently". It is either in tolerance or out. Anyone with experience in building axles knows this. Personally I trust all of the vendor that have replied to my thread to build me a quality axle.

I think it's best to try to keep the facts seperated from the opinion here.

-
    I'm really liking this thread, now if someone would just give me some money for a prorock...

This x2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast