Odd tire wear?

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I'm dealing with the same shit. Took brand new tires to a place and they fucked them up! Paid for a balance and went about 2000 miles and it was driving irregular. Had an alignment done and tech said it was not off at all. Went a few more miles noticed my left front tire was what I thought not on properly and had them check balance. Also noticed my tires were getting like yours. They claimed they balanced and I called Bullshit there is no way these tires would wear that quickly. I've had three sets of these. Turns out the tires were way off one had to have several weights on it. Argued that they had not had done what I paid for. Gave me an excuse tires sometimes do that and asked if I bought from them there which I did not. I called manager asked that they needed to do something and he agreed to balance them when ever I need. They are wearing a bit better, but still will go in and have them balanced about every 2000 or LESS. I won't say the company name but their initials are N.T.B.!:)

JAGS

Hooked
My stock tires did the same thing. Combination of poor balancing, lack of rotations and air pressure is the cause.

Frank might be correct about the ball joints. But I now have 37s, with the same ballpoints and not nearly the issues. I've been pretty regiment about getting them rotated and balanced between 4-5k and checking air more often than that.

Edit: BTW, it's called cupping and you can search causes as see the most common to other causes.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Granted everything seemed tight on mine. How many miles on your rig Frank? Might have to really look at mine.

25k about 23k of those on 37's. Replaced a unit bearing and have crown HD BJs sitting in the garage waiting to be installed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Keep hearing the crowns are the best to use.

"Best" is a bit of a stretch. A better buy for sure being that they're the same joint as Synergy and Alloy only cost lest. Dynatrac ProSteers are the "best" but they do have a price tag to match.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
"Best" is a bit of a stretch. A better buy for sure being that they're the same joint as Synergy and Alloy only cost lest. Dynatrac ProSteers are the "best" but they do have a price tag to match.

I will definitely look at those when the time comes. Thanks for the info.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
My stock tires did the same thing. Combination of poor balancing, lack of rotations and air pressure is the cause.

Frank might be correct about the ball joints. But I now have 37s, with the same ballpoints and not nearly the issues. I've been pretty regiment about getting them rotated and balanced between 4-5k and checking air more often than that.

Edit: BTW, it's called cupping and you can search causes as see the most common to other causes.

I'd agree here, I have seen this on new jeeps even who don't rotate tires often enough. Sad part is I don't think they will ever smooth out even after rotation. My moms Jeep had this issue and once they were rotated and an additional 5k on them on the rear, they still show the cupping

Lil Nasty

I bought the crown hd for a quick fix. Few days later found some used Prosteers on eBay and offered the guy $75. When I upgrade my front axle I'll rebuild them for the new axle.

Top Bottom