Tires?

1BAMF'nJKU

I'm in the market for fresh 35's!!! I am looking for a long lasting, tried and true mt. I have been eye balling the Toyo open country and would probably be my first choice. Anyone who has these, how do they balance and what kind of wear are you getting out of them? Thx

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're looking for a "long lasting" MT, I would recommend a BFG MT KM2. Of all the MT's I've run, they wear like iron and last the longest.

I personally love Toyo MT's as they have been the most durable tire I have tested out bar none and have yet to experience a single sidewall failure. They perform great on and off pavement and are surprisingly quite for an MT. That being said, they will not have as much tread life as a BFG.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If you're looking for a "long lasting" MT, I would recommend a BFG MT KM2. Of all the MT's I've run, they wear like iron and last the longest.

I personally love Toyo MT's as they have been the most durable tire I have tested out bar none and have yet to experience a single sidewall failure. They perform great on and off pavement and are surprisingly quite for an MT. That being said, they will not have as much tread life as a BFG.

How have the toyos performed in the snow in the past for you Eddie? Since the OP and myself live in PA and see a decent amount of snow. I am debating switching to them or trails when I do 37's or just sticking with my muds

As Eddie said Toyos are tough as nails. Ride is a little stiff but theyre awesome off road. Balancing is a non-event. They practically dont even need balancing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How have the toyos performed in the snow in the past for you Eddie? Since the OP and myself live in PA and see a decent amount of snow. I am debating switching to them or trails when I do 37's or just sticking with my muds

In deep snow, they work pretty good. In slick, icy conditions, they're just okay at best. Of course, no MT is gonna do well in those conditions. The more siping you have, the better off you're going to be so by comparison, something like a Toyo will do a bit better but if it's really an issue, you should be looking at a good AT.

As Eddie said Toyos are tough as nails. Ride is a little stiff but theyre awesome off road. Balancing is a non-event. They practically dont even need balancing.

Right, about balancing. I should note that I have NEVER balanced a single Toyo MT that I've ever owned - not a single one and it's the only tire that I can say that about. I literally just mount them up and go.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
In deep snow, they work pretty good. In slick, icy conditions, they're just okay at best. Of course, no MT is gonna do well in those conditions. The more siping you have, the better off you're going to be so by comparison, something like a Toyo will do a bit better but if it's really an issue, you should be looking at a good AT.

Right, about balancing. I should note that I have NEVER balanced a single Toyo MT that I've ever owned - not a single one and it's the only tire that I can say that about. I literally just mount them up and go.

Good to know. I like my mud grapps with the amount of siping they have. They have done great in the wet snow we get majority of the time. If I do go with the toyos u will prob get them siped more than how they come to help the performance. Thanks Eddie!

1BAMF'nJKU

Thank you all for your help! I also live in pa and I think I may still go with the toyo, regardless of the winters we sometimes see. I had past experience with 35" nitto mud grapplers on my 02 ram and loved them. The downside to that tire was how quickly they wore. Looking to mount the new toyo tires on the mopar beadlocks I just purchased! Any suggestions for mounting beadlocks for this is the first time I've done so. Thx

JAGS

Hooked
Thank you all for your help! I also live in pa and I think I may still go with the toyo, regardless of the winters we sometimes see. I had past experience with 35" nitto mud grapplers on my 02 ram and loved them. The downside to that tire was how quickly they wore. Looking to mount the new toyo tires on the mopar beadlocks I just purchased! Any suggestions for mounting beadlocks for this is the first time I've done so. Thx

Mel at ORE/EVO has posted a good vid on mounting beadlocks.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

If you go to wayalifes YouTube account they have a video they shot with Mel from off road evolution on how to mount tires on beadlocks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

This video will help out a lot.

That being said, you do NOT have an ATX wheel and so you will need to be careful about tightening your bolts. The ring you have will compress the rubber and will never go metal to metal so if you aren't careful, you will break your bolts either during installation or after while wheeling your Jeep. Going to the proper torque setting ONLY for your bolts is critical. They will NOT be the same as the larger ATX bolts.

1BAMF'nJKU

Awesome video, thank you again! Looks simple enough, or Mel makes it look easy! So this looks like something I could do myself at home in the garage without a tire mounting machine, so I like that aspect of the project! Just have to find a place to balance them now!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome video, thank you again! Looks simple enough, or Mel makes it look easy! So this looks like something I could do myself at home in the garage without a tire mounting machine, so I like that aspect of the project! Just have to find a place to balance them now!!

My petite wife Cindy can install a complete set of five 40x15.50 Mud Grapplers onto a set of bead locks all by herself. Just sayin :cool:

1BAMF'nJKU

Awesome! Looks like this will become a family project!!! Might have to do it in the living room watching wayalife videos on the flat screen;)

Top Bottom