Stock speakers

FLKEYSJK

I just ordered some Polk audio marine speakers the other day and while I'm at lunch today I decided to mess with the stock speakers. They come with some type of paper film over the speaker and when music was playing with a lot of bass it would vibrate the film a lot so I cut it out and it made a pretty noticeable difference in quality. Less distortion in the bass. Figured there's probably a purpose for the film but since I'm replacing them it doesn't matter. Could help if you plan on keeping the stock stereo. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1447865100.673971.jpg

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I just ordered some Polk audio marine speakers the other day and while I'm at lunch today I decided to mess with the stock speakers. They come with some type of paper film over the speaker and when music was playing with a lot of bass it would vibrate the film a lot so I cut it out and it made a pretty noticeable difference in quality. Less distortion in the bass. Figured there's probably a purpose for the film but since I'm replacing them I doesn't matter. Could help if you plan on keeping the stock stereo.

That's actually a special NASA-designed film to keep toxic climate ozone rays that come through normal sound frequencies from entering your Jeep. Oh well. Wear lots of sunscreen and ear plugs, you'll be fine.

Last edited:

kaptkrappy

Well, I guess I'll be taking my speakers out of the sound bar and removing the fabric this evening.

Thanks for the tip.:thumb:

Byte

Does this stuff seem to repel or absorb water? It looks like it's some form of splash guard/weather protection. But if it absorbs water I'd say it isn't.

FLKEYSJK

That's actually a special NASA-designed film to keep toxic climate ozone rays that come through normal sound frequencies from entering your Jeep. Oh well. Wear lots of sunscreen and ear plugs, you'll be fine.

Haha that's funny[emoji23]

WJCO

Meme King
I think the film was originally designed to keep debris out so the speaker cone didn't get damaged. But truthfully I don't know and I removed it from plenty of speakers over the years.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
If we can keep this going about speakers, which would be really nice......anyone know if you can add the stock sub into a jeep without one? I noticed the other day when I had to pull that rear trim out, that all the wires and connectors are there for a sub, but my jeep of course didnt come with the upgraded package and I know the stock one sucks, but its better than nothing.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If we can keep this going about speakers, which would be really nice......anyone know if you can add the stock sub into a jeep without one? I noticed the other day when I had to pull that rear trim out, that all the wires and connectors are there for a sub, but my jeep of course didnt come with the upgraded package and I know the stock one sucks, but its better than nothing.

If the wires are there I'm sure it could work. You could get the whole plastic piece as well as the speaker and it should work. What I don't know is if you need the upgraded head unit as well

rinkishjk

I think there is a stock amp below the steering column that would be needed also. Not 100% sure though.

kaptkrappy

If the wires are there I'm sure it could work. You could get the whole plastic piece as well as the speaker and it should work. What I don't know is if you need the upgraded head unit as well

I've also read a couple of times over the years that there is an amplifier included with the factory sub that is tucked up under the steering wheel area on JK's that came equipped with the factory subs.

So, I bet you would need that or some other amp if you are going to install a sub woofer.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I wonder if any of the guys locally have one I can pull and try on my jeep just to see. I would go aftermarket since I already have a nice sub to use, but I dont want to deal with the extra box and all so thought the oem one was a great option for what I want which is just a little better sound. You can also find the oem floor mounted sub, but they never come with the speaker cover which is annoying.

I will pull the trim tonight and see if I can find the amp tho.

Edit: Just did some google hunting and a guy with no sub in a 14 got one, and no sound so Im sure I dont have the amp. I may end up just getting a better headunit that can support nav and go from there.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I've also read a couple of times over the years that there is an amplifier included with the factory sub that is tucked up under the steering wheel area on JK's that came equipped with the factory subs.

So, I bet you would need that or some other amp if you are going to install a sub woofer.

Good call, I Forgot about the amp. I feel like I should have known that since I had a system in my old car lol

FLKEYSJK

Did you see where the wire runs? Do you think all jeeps have it, I may check later on

Byte

Can't take credit for this resource...was posted in this thread.

https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extra.chrysler.com/service/repair/wiring/view/classic.htm

Can't tell for sure whether or not the same harness is used if a non premium sound system is installed at factory but based on previous posts it sounds like the wiring is the same although the amp/sub won't be present.

Plug in year/model/engine and you will see the different wiring for both base and premium audio systems. Looks like it will be a very useful tool!

tonytony9

I highly suggest getting yourself an amp or there is a good chance u will think the polks are worse than stock. Aftermarket speakers for the most part are designed to work with more power than the head unit can produce. You may have clearer highs and mids but the lows will be an absolute joke. I can help you out if you ever decide to install an amp. I'm running a pretty good Polk and jbl setup in my wrangler and I can tell you amps and subs make a world of a difference

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I highly suggest getting yourself an amp or there is a good chance u will think the polks are worse than stock. Aftermarket speakers for the most part are designed to work with more power than the head unit can produce. You may have clearer highs and mids but the lows will be an absolute joke. I can help you out if you ever decide to install an amp. I'm running a pretty good Polk and jbl setup in my wrangler and I can tell you amps and subs make a world of a difference

If I could find a box that doesnt take up much space, not like I carry alot of gear, and looks oem or is hidden, then I will add the sub I already have that shouldnt be in my other car. I just can not stand seeing a large box. Hell even the small box I have in my other car is bigger than I would like to see.

Top Bottom