Pros and Cons of removing front plastic wind dam on front of Jeep

Pastor Scott

I dont know what you really call it but it looks like a diaper to me...

Anyway can it be removed , what about water issues, wind, cooling , MPG ? heard so many mystery reasons why its there.

P Scott

thanks guys

Evil

Worst case is everything is a little less protected and you see all the shit under there its covering.

swampdog

Just removed mine last week. Definite drop of MPG on the freeway and the hood flutters like crazy at speed. But....it looks SO much better. MPG schmempeegee...

Jern26

Before my new bumper, mine was involuntarily removed by a stump. Or a swamp monster... I haven't figured out the truth yet. But anyways, I think I lost .5 mpg out of it. I didn't notice any cooling/overheating difference though!

rob_p

When I was stock hood flutter was the main symptom, but that was fixed when I added my lift!

I don't track mpg, why would I?

Evil

I had hood flutter with the damn thing still attached, all that went away with the RR hood latches.

Threw mine in the dumpster along with the ends of my bumper when I cut them off. Looks better and no more rattling. I didn't notice any difference in mpg or flutter better or worse.

If you don't want it on, I don't think you're gonna have any ill effects without it.

BlackHawk08jk

I never noticed mine changing any of the hood flutter never really tracked my mpg. Plus most aftermarket bumpers don't extend as far as the factory with the damper so it ain't going to hurt.

Scrambler

It was an unexpected benefit! But since my lift flutter has dramatically reduced, I guess the air flow under the jeep has changed slightly

Never seen that happen, but I guess there is a first for everything. Mine got worse after I put the lift on.

BlueBox

I found removing the spring under the hood reduces flutter to almost non existent. Lifting the hood manually to unlatch really isn't that big of a deal.

LeighP

Replaced mine with a plate steel skid, roughly the same shape. My plastic one had to go when I fitted the front bar/winch.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Different aerodynamics dropped slightly in mpg. This may be overcome by a lift anyway, which also changes aerodynamics.

Other than that, it is just a different look.

Pastor Scott

Does this removal allow water splashing issues

For those who have removed your front air dam... does water get into engine bay or is there dirt issues and things
just wondering as I live in deep puddle country

thanks
P Scott

Top Bottom