Initial Install Length Recommendation for 8 Control Arms on a 2.5 Inch Lift?

theprez

Hey All -

First time poster and long time lurker :)

My 2014 JKU was lifted about 6 months ago - it's the 2.5 inch Teraflex lift. After install, the Jeep would "wander" all over the road - took it in for an alignment and they used "cam bolts" to get the Jeep closer in spec. It was much better - but was advised to get adjustable control arms to get it dialed in.

So....with in the past week I decided to get adjustable track bars (I'll eventually go to 35s..but right now..stock wheels/tires) and the Teraflex adjustable Alpine control arms (uppers and lowers for front and back):

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/56310d9c05a25c5bb18f88e8

My question is...what is the recommended length for the front uppers and lowers....and the rear uppers and lowers for a 2.5 inch lift? Obviously, the settings will need to be more dialed in as I'm sure every JKU is slightly different. I'll be using the excellent DIY alignment post to measure the angles and such but wanted to ask what the recommended initial install measurements are.

Thanks! =)

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would try and return the arms, just dont want to see them go bad on you and them not warranty their product. However they should state the lengths you need to set them to in the install instructions provided. Good luck.

Forgot to add, with a JKU all you need is front lowers as well, which would save you a lot of money and headache, but its your money.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey All -

First time poster and long time lurker :)

My 2014 JKU was lifted about 6 months ago - it's the 2.5 inch Teraflex lift. After install, the Jeep would "wander" all over the road - took it in for an alignment and they used "cam bolts" to get the Jeep closer in spec. It was much better - but was advised to get adjustable control arms to get it dialed in.

So....with in the past week I decided to get adjustable track bars (I'll eventually go to 35s..but right now..stock wheels/tires) and the Teraflex adjustable Alpine control arms (uppers and lowers for front and back):

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/56310d9c05a25c5bb18f88e8

My question is...what is the recommended length for the front uppers and lowers....and the rear uppers and lowers for a 2.5 inch lift? Obviously, the settings will need to be more dialed in as I'm sure every JKU is slightly different. I'll be using the excellent DIY alignment post to measure the angles and such but wanted to ask what the recommended initial install measurements are.

Thanks! =)

With just 2.5" of lift, you really shouldn't need ANY adjustable control arms let alone 8 of them. If you really had cam bolts installed, that's a shame because now you have big rectangular slots on your front lower control arm mounts that can come loose and slide around. IF anything, you may have wanted to get adjustable front lower control arms to give you a bit more caster INSTEAD of the cam bolts but at this point and time, there's no need for them.

Being that you haven't installed anything yet, I would try to return them as you will NOT be needing them and they will NOT help you here.

WJCO

Meme King
And to fix your new holes on your brackets that have now been modified, you can always add proper ID washers to the bolts, then once you're happy with the caster #s, tighten down the bolts and weld the washers on to the mounts to prevent further movement of the arm bolts.

theprez

I would try and return the arms, just dont want to see them go bad on you and them not warranty their product. However they should state the lengths you need to set them to in the install instructions provided. Good luck.

Forgot to add, with a JKU all you need is front lowers as well, which would save you a lot of money and headache, but its your money.

Thanks - do they not typically stand behind their product or is the Alpine product not any good?

- Thanks everyone else...wish I checked here first since of course TF said I needed all 8 - especially when I move up to 35s.....

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Thanks - do they not typically stand behind their product or is the Alpine product not any good?

- Thanks everyone else...wish I checked here first since of course TF said I needed all 8 - especially when I move up to 35s.....

They tend to blame "user install error" on their products anymore from what it seems.

Like Eddie said, you can return them and just order front lowers and save yourself a lot of money.

theprez

And put that money toward the wheel / tire fund!

LOL - excellent idea.

Just called and cancelled the order =)

I do recall being told that to get the Jeep more in spec adjustable arms were needed vs the cam bolt (of course, was told that after they installed the cam bolts). I'll go with the adjustable lowers, cam bolt delete kit. I assume for the rear...no adjustable control arms are needed for a 2.5 lift correct?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
LOL - excellent idea.

Just called and cancelled the order =)

I do recall being told that to get the Jeep more in spec adjustable arms were needed vs the cam bolt (of course, was told that after they installed the cam bolts). I'll go with the adjustable lowers, cam bolt delete kit. I assume for the rear...no adjustable control arms are needed for a 2.5 lift correct?

Correct, stock arms are enough for just a 2.5" Lift.

If you get a chance, stop by the intro section and give us a wave :thumb:

Top Bottom