Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Initial Install Length Recommendation for 8 Control Arms on a 2.5 Inch Lift?

  1. #1
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    15

    Question Initial Install Length Recommendation for 8 Control Arms on a 2.5 Inch Lift?

    Hey All -

    First time poster and long time lurker

    My 2014 JKU was lifted about 6 months ago - it's the 2.5 inch Teraflex lift. After install, the Jeep would "wander" all over the road - took it in for an alignment and they used "cam bolts" to get the Jeep closer in spec. It was much better - but was advised to get adjustable control arms to get it dialed in.

    So....with in the past week I decided to get adjustable track bars (I'll eventually go to 35s..but right now..stock wheels/tires) and the Teraflex adjustable Alpine control arms (uppers and lowers for front and back):

    https://teraflex.com/shop_items/5631...a25c5bb18f88e8

    My question is...what is the recommended length for the front uppers and lowers....and the rear uppers and lowers for a 2.5 inch lift? Obviously, the settings will need to be more dialed in as I'm sure every JKU is slightly different. I'll be using the excellent DIY alignment post to measure the angles and such but wanted to ask what the recommended initial install measurements are.

    Thanks! =)

  2. #2
    Addict hinrichs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wyomissing, PA
    Posts
    5,666
    I would try and return the arms, just dont want to see them go bad on you and them not warranty their product. However they should state the lengths you need to set them to in the install instructions provided. Good luck.

    Forgot to add, with a JKU all you need is front lowers as well, which would save you a lot of money and headache, but its your money.
    Last edited by hinrichs; 01-04-2016 at 08:17 PM.

  3. #3
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    53,702
    Quote Originally Posted by theprez View Post
    Hey All -

    First time poster and long time lurker

    My 2014 JKU was lifted about 6 months ago - it's the 2.5 inch Teraflex lift. After install, the Jeep would "wander" all over the road - took it in for an alignment and they used "cam bolts" to get the Jeep closer in spec. It was much better - but was advised to get adjustable control arms to get it dialed in.

    So....with in the past week I decided to get adjustable track bars (I'll eventually go to 35s..but right now..stock wheels/tires) and the Teraflex adjustable Alpine control arms (uppers and lowers for front and back):

    https://teraflex.com/shop_items/5631...a25c5bb18f88e8

    My question is...what is the recommended length for the front uppers and lowers....and the rear uppers and lowers for a 2.5 inch lift? Obviously, the settings will need to be more dialed in as I'm sure every JKU is slightly different. I'll be using the excellent DIY alignment post to measure the angles and such but wanted to ask what the recommended initial install measurements are.

    Thanks! =)
    With just 2.5" of lift, you really shouldn't need ANY adjustable control arms let alone 8 of them. If you really had cam bolts installed, that's a shame because now you have big rectangular slots on your front lower control arm mounts that can come loose and slide around. IF anything, you may have wanted to get adjustable front lower control arms to give you a bit more caster INSTEAD of the cam bolts but at this point and time, there's no need for them.

    Being that you haven't installed anything yet, I would try to return them as you will NOT be needing them and they will NOT help you here.

  4. #4
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    28,821
    And to fix your new holes on your brackets that have now been modified, you can always add proper ID washers to the bolts, then once you're happy with the caster #s, tighten down the bolts and weld the washers on to the mounts to prevent further movement of the arm bolts.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

  5. #5
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by hinrichs View Post
    I would try and return the arms, just dont want to see them go bad on you and them not warranty their product. However they should state the lengths you need to set them to in the install instructions provided. Good luck.

    Forgot to add, with a JKU all you need is front lowers as well, which would save you a lot of money and headache, but its your money.
    Thanks - do they not typically stand behind their product or is the Alpine product not any good?


    - Thanks everyone else...wish I checked here first since of course TF said I needed all 8 - especially when I move up to 35s.....

  6. #6
    Addict hinrichs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wyomissing, PA
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Originally Posted by theprez View Post
    Thanks - do they not typically stand behind their product or is the Alpine product not any good?


    - Thanks everyone else...wish I checked here first since of course TF said I needed all 8 - especially when I move up to 35s.....
    They tend to blame "user install error" on their products anymore from what it seems.

    Like Eddie said, you can return them and just order front lowers and save yourself a lot of money.

  7. #7
    Nothing but a Thing swampdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    2,495
    And put that money toward the wheel / tire fund!
    "It’s so hard for me to sit back here in this studio, looking at a guy out here, hollering my name!—When last year I spent more money, on spilled liquor, in bars from one side of this world to the other, than you made! You’re talking to the Rolex wearing, diamond ring wearing, kiss stealing, [WHOO!] wheelin dealin’, limousine riding, jet flying son of a gun and i'm having a hard time holding these alligators down!"

  8. #8
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by swampdog View Post
    And put that money toward the wheel / tire fund!
    LOL - excellent idea.

    Just called and cancelled the order =)


    I do recall being told that to get the Jeep more in spec adjustable arms were needed vs the cam bolt (of course, was told that after they installed the cam bolts). I'll go with the adjustable lowers, cam bolt delete kit. I assume for the rear...no adjustable control arms are needed for a 2.5 lift correct?

  9. #9
    Addict hinrichs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wyomissing, PA
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Originally Posted by theprez View Post
    LOL - excellent idea.

    Just called and cancelled the order =)


    I do recall being told that to get the Jeep more in spec adjustable arms were needed vs the cam bolt (of course, was told that after they installed the cam bolts). I'll go with the adjustable lowers, cam bolt delete kit. I assume for the rear...no adjustable control arms are needed for a 2.5 lift correct?
    Correct, stock arms are enough for just a 2.5" Lift.

    If you get a chance, stop by the intro section and give us a wave

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS