A newbie needs some advice on stubby front bumpers...

PilotJK

Hi!

I'm looking into my next project for the new year. I've been shopping around for stubby front bumpers. As you know there's so many! Brands such as Smittybilt, Rugged Ridge, AEV, etc..

Are there any brands I should steer away? Also, do you agree on the idea of "you get what you pay for"?

thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion, you definitely get what you pay for. Are you leaning towards one or another or just looking for direction.

PilotJK

In my opinion, you definitely get what you pay for. Are you leaning towards one or another or just looking for direction.

I was looking at the Warn Rock Crawler and Rugged Ridge Modular. I'm also open to any suggestions. I've been mainly looking in Quadratec's website.

Another bumper that was just released at SEMA in November, is the ARB Stubby. I've been considering this bumper, as well as the EVO 1/4 Pounder.

image-3524737051.jpg

This is what I have. It's a GenRight Trail Series Stubby with winch guard. I also REALLY like the EVO 1/4 Pounder Stubby with the Stinger Bar.

Attachments

• May-12_Jeep-3.jpg
    May-12_Jeep-3.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 289

StrizzyChris

I have personally owned the rugged ridge modular bumper and can tell you from first hand experience a few things.

#1- the core of the bumper is pretty beefy/sturdy and can handle more than most people will ever need or be able to throw at it.
#2- the end caps to make it full width are decent, and can handle basic brush abuse, but is held in place by three bolts that i wouldn't trust as a true bumper to protect the grill or front fenders from tree or rock impact.
#3- DO NOT trust the hoop or stinger to protect anything! They are junk! If all you want is the look of the hoop and dont need the function, then they are fine.
#4- i have seen people run the evo stinger on this bumper, so that's an option.

PilotJK

Hey to all of you, thanks! I have a better idea of what to get and do. The feedback and pictures really helped. thanks again :thumb:

one thing that I loved about the EVO bumper is that the stinger is detachable. Thus you are able to replace just the stinger if you ever bend it. :clap2: But it takes some good abuse. :rock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if you like me and find function makes form look as good as it does, I would recommend the EVO stubby. Plain, simple and gets the job done.
main.php

If you like a little more styling, and want to keep your fog lights, I would say to give LoD or Hanson a look. This is an LoD with stinger.
main.php

Or, maybe an LoD Stubby with just a winch guard.
main.php

This is a Hanson Stubby
main.php

Of course, if you're on a budget and just looking for the basics, you might want to consider a PUREJEEP Bare Bonez setup like this.
main.php

We've run all of these stubbies and even a couple more but, these are what I would recommend of all the ones we've tried.

1yellowjk

I run the Best Top Highrock, for the money I think it's outstanding. Built in winch plate, factory fog light mounts and comes with rings to make it look sweet. Mounted up super easy and has taken some abuse. I'm not a stinger fan so I just wanted a good stubby.

Attachments

• gecko2.jpg
    gecko2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 212

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I run the Best Top Highrock, for the money I think it's outstanding. Built in winch plate, factory fog light mounts and comes with rings to make it look sweet. Mounted up super easy and has taken some abuse. I'm not a stinger fan so I just wanted a good stubby.

I have the same one. Its ok and beefy but I want something with a stinger and I don't like the stinger available for it.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
When it comes to aftermarket bumpers in general, do yourself a favor and don't cut corners and go budget-wise. I made this mistake when I went with the Shittybilt.. Er I mean Smittybilt stinger. I regret going low budget, and although it has served me well and quality is okay, I have seen how weak these are, the welds are inferior and the finish lacks quality.

If I had to do it over again, I'd save more cash and go with something that serves it purpose, is aesthetically appealing AND is a quality product. I have seen Hanson, LOD, OR-Fab and of course EVO Mfg stubby's and would highly recommend taking a look at those.

Good luck.

JAGS

Hooked
Not to highjack or is it Hi-Jack the thread, but I have a related question. What are people's thoughts about running bare metal bumpers as far as both appearance and wear and tear? I think the EVO EBay build (or other evo build???) was running this way but not many others. I've got a silver jeep and was thinking of going black front grille and then bare bumper. Looking at of coarse the 1/4 pounder but also like the look of the JCR stub with stinger.

JK-StubbyPre8_299x200.jpg JK-DaggerStinger10_300x200.jpg

Any thoughts of the idea and then secondly the JCR products in general?

Well, if you like me and find function makes form look as good as it does, I would recommend the EVO stubby. Plain, simple and gets the job done.
main.php

If you like a little more styling, and want to keep your fog lights, I would say to give LoD or Hanson a look. This is an LoD with stinger.
main.php

Or, maybe an LoD Stubby with just a winch guard.
main.php

This is a Hanson Stubby
main.php

Of course, if you're on a budget and just looking for the basics, you might want to consider a PUREJEEP Bare Bonez setup like this.
main.php

We've run all of these stubbies and even a couple more but, these are what I would recommend of all the ones we've tried.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not to highjack or is it Hi-Jack the thread, but I have a related question. What are people's thoughts about running bare metal bumpers as far as both appearance and wear and tear? I think the EVO EBay build (or other evo build???) was running this way but not many others. I've got a silver jeep and was thinking of going black front grille and then bare bumper. Looking at of coarse the 1/4 pounder but also like the look of the JCR stub with stinger.

Any thoughts of the idea and then secondly the JCR products in general?

Bare metal or, the look of it is way cool for sure but, you will need to give it a clear coat to help prevent rust from forming and, it will form really fast. You will also have to maintain it. For me, it's more work than is worth it and I prefer to go with something that I can touch up quickly and easily - pretty much anything satin black and not too much texture is what I prefer.

I have no experience with JCR bumpers but, they look nice.

Not to highjack or is it Hi-Jack the thread....

I believe it's hi-lift jack this thread... :D

...What are people's thoughts about running bare metal bumpers as far as both appearance and wear and tear? I think the EVO EBay build (or other evo build???) was running this way but not many others. I've got a silver jeep and was thinking of going black front grille and then bare bumper. Looking at of coarse the 1/4 pounder but also like the look of the JCR stub with stinger.

I really like the look of bare metal, especially on the EVO 1/4 Pounder. When I was at SEMA, I was drooling over the look of Ebay1 with the bare metal front bumper. It looks awesome! Definitely a look I am considering!

I talked to EVO and they said that they do sell the bumper bare at request, but recommend having the bumper clear coated to prevent rust. At SEMA, the bumper had some spots of surface rust, obviously nothing serious, and quite honestly I thought it added to the appearance. :yup:

Top Bottom