Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: Birth of Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    Great thread. With the benefit of hindsight, would you do it again, buy premade axles, or stay with 37s?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Hard to say. My Jeep performed extremely well on 37s and the RK 3.5Ē lift. I feel like everything was tuned really well. I started to get interference issues with 38s. I think 37s on a four door offer great performance with reliability especially if you upgrade to a PR44. With that being said, Iíve always wanted to go bigger so 40s were inevitable. If I had the money I would buy some Dynatracs and sleep easy at night. Remember, the Jeep was down for four months and I touched a 1000 things that all needs tested in the end. I thought about doing a 44/60 combo but after bending my rear shaft, I really wanted full float. I would probably build again because you canít beat the price and I will continue to get better at it.

So do you upgrade and sell your old stuff before you break? Or wait until you break? Itís a hard one to answer. If I started all over with a stock JK, then I would go straight to 40s and save some money by not redoing things. I do not regret my path with this one. I gained valuable knowledge and experience wheeling on 35s and 37s. I believe everyone should start small at first that way they appreciate all the hard work and money that goes into a big Jeep.

Donít know if that helped but those are some of the things I thought about.

Birth of Phoenix

Makes sense. My JKU with PR44 on 37s does 90% or more of what I need, but 60s and 40s would be cool and maybe enable the last 10%. Iíve thought a lot about the home brew set up you went with. Thanks again for the informative post.

Changed out the diff cover to one from Ruff Stuff. IMG_5432.jpg
    IMG_5433.jpg
    It already drew blood when I hit my head on it.

First day on the rocks. Jeep did really well. My tire touches the rear pinch seam at full bump. Just barely so that will be an easy fix. I feel like the front should flex more but I canít see anything binding. More testing I guess.
    IMG_5481.jpg
    IMG_5483.jpg
    IMG_5486.jpg
    IMG_5489.jpg
    IMG_5490.jpg
    IMG_5492.jpg
    IMG_5497.jpg
    IMG_5496.jpg

Such a great build. Youíve gone in directions weíve all talked or thought about, but never did. Great break down on the costs.

Jeep looks great, I totally agree, start small and work your way up. But it would be a hell cheaper just going straight to 40s and not to keep swapping parts as Jeep grows.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    Such a great build. Youíve gone in directions weíve all talked or thought about, but never did. Great break down on the costs.

Jeep looks great, I totally agree, start small and work your way up. But it would be a hell cheaper just going straight to 40s and not to keep swapping parts as Jeep grows.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    Thanks! Appreciate it.

Wasnít satisfied with the way the front was flexing. It seemed really stiff. Didnít see anything binding so I determined it was the Antirock. Since the swap, I had to put an Antirock in the rear. Now the rear was more flexible than the front. I decided to swap back in the Rubicon sway bar with the EVO no limits disconnect. Iím much happier with the results.

Also headed out to Tahuya to test the setup and run the Jeep through the big rocks. I needed to beat up on the Jeep to find deficiencies.

Jeep performed well. I think another 1/2Ē of bump stop in the rear and it will be good. For having only the PSC Big Bore the steering was pretty decent. Still havenít hit the TJ tank yet.
    IMG_5743.jpg
    IMG_5748.jpg
    IMG_5753.jpg
    IMG_5756.jpg
    IMG_5765.jpg
    IMG_5769.jpg
    IMG_5777.jpg
    IMG_5778.jpg
    IMG_5789.JPG

Finally got out on another trip. I donít mind doing old trails because I have a completely new set up now. First day we hit up Elbe Hills and I finally did the Busy Wild Trail. Difficult trail but fun. With 40s I never got stuck but the other JKU on 38s got high centered a time or two.
    IMG_5963.jpg
    IMG_5991.jpg
    IMG_5995.jpg
    IMG_6013.jpg
    IMG_6022.jpg
    IMG_6057.jpg
    IMG_6063.jpg
    IMG_6069.jpgIMG_6069.jpgIMG_6086.jpg

We camped at Elbe and woke up early to meet up with another group to run the Naches Trail. It was another muddy day but great none the less.
    IMG_6089.jpg
    IMG_6101.jpg
    IMG_6111.jpg
    IMG_6110.jpg
    IMG_6118.jpg
    IMG_6124.jpg
    IMG_6127.jpg
    IMG_6132.jpg
    A much needed soak.
    IMG_6154.jpg

Other than the mud, looks like a great run!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast