My M416 Build !

mo0s3

Hello everyone I just wanted to share my progress and inspire people to create as well :)

Before Pic
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460232708.408309.jpg

I looked up a lot of information on this build and decided to go at it myself .

Here are the stages of the build so far.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460232815.418477.jpg
Trailer was sanded and I added a few coats of Chassis saver

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460233053.513454.jpg
New leaf springs, a lot of searching for these bad boys lol

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460232862.276587.jpg

Bed all Tacked up and ready for squaring.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460232906.980506.jpg

Getting the placement for the tailgate ready.

I will be picking up the metal for the placement of the rooftop tent and start on that next.
I hope you all enjoy and if it is ok with Wayalife I can give you links for all the parts I will be getting for this as well.
Hope you enjoy !

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Nice looking restoration! In regards to the box - did you use a break press or some other method to break the angles?

toxicwaste29

I wouldn't have sanded the frame. For chassie saver to stick it has to be rough all your supposed to do is scrap off the big loose stuff. Otherwise it doesn't bond and peels off in layers

mo0s3

I wouldn't have sanded the frame. For chassie saver to stick it has to be rough all your supposed to do is scrap off the big loose stuff. Otherwise it doesn't bond and peels off in layers

Yeah it was scuffed pretty good, we had the same thought as you did :)

mo0s3

Nice looking restoration! In regards to the box - did you use a break press or some other method to break the angles?

I did all the measurements and took my drawing to a fab shop in Riverside. Everything was laser cut and matched corner to corner for a cleaner weld surface. As far as the bends they had a HUGE press. Wish I had access to a metal shop like in high school lol

toxicwaste29

^ya I've done stuff bare steel with chassis saver before and it's peeled right off with a power washer. Now the only way I apply it is with scuffed or super rusted with pits

mo0s3

Looking good! Excited to see the progress (subscribed) Any plans or thoughts on a lid for the tub?

I was actually thinking of doing that and having the tent mount to it. But. I wanted to have the tent a bit higher and was maybe thinking of doing a telescopic type rack. But we will see. I'd like to add all the links eventually to help people out that have ran into similar obstacles on finding proper parts. I just don't want to break forum rules [emoji16]

mo0s3

^ya I've done stuff bare steel with chassis saver before and it's peeled right off with a power washer. Now the only way I apply it is with scuffed or super rusted with pits

Yeah we used a wire wheel to pull all the surface rust, hopefully it holds. Trying to utilize everything I can to keep this build cost low.

Journeyman

I was actually thinking of doing that and having the tent mount to it. But. I wanted to have the tent a bit higher and was maybe thinking of doing a telescopic type rack. But we will see. I'd like to add all the links eventually to help people out that have ran into similar obstacles on finding proper parts. I just don't want to break forum rules [emoji16]

I can't imagine not having the lid on mine. Easy to lock and secure your gear inside. Also keeps everything clean and dry when your cruising through weather or down the trail. Any particular reason for the need to raise the tent higher than the top of the trailer? RTT get pretty precarious the higher they go [emoji15] mid night pee runs are not so fun!

mo0s3

I can't imagine not having the lid on mine. Easy to lock and secure your gear inside. Also keeps everything clean and dry when your cruising through weather or down the trail. Any particular reason for the need to raise the tent higher than the top of the trailer? RTT get pretty precarious the higher they go [emoji15] mid night pee runs are not so fun!

Rofl midnight pee runs are bad ... Very true. I was going a little higher to access everything in the bed and also have the opportunity to use the annex room.

Journeyman

Rofl midnight pee runs are bad ... Very true. I was going a little higher to access everything in the bed and also have the opportunity to use the annex room.

I understand the annex. Definitely nice to have a place to change.
My RTT is attached to the lid. Plenty of frame work to support the weight. It's setup so that I can open the lid with the tent setup at the same time.
Kind of hard to explain. The hinge side of the lid and the hinge for the tent are on the same side (passenger side)
So when I open the lid (drivers side) and raise it up the tent pivots with it. My lid is gas strut assisted and stops at about 40 degrees. Tents not setup in this pic, but it deploys on the passenger side, so maybe you get the picture. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460688846.642720.jpg

mo0s3

I understand the annex. Definitely nice to have a place to change.
My RTT is attached to the lid. Plenty of frame work to support the weight. It's setup so that I can open the lid with the tent setup at the same time.
Kind of hard to explain. The hinge side of the lid and the hinge for the tent are on the same side (passenger side)
So when I open the lid (drivers side) and raise it up the tent pivots with it. My lid is gas strut assisted and stops at about 40 degrees. Tents not setup in this pic, but it deploys on the passenger side, so maybe you get the picture. View attachment 198612

That's Rad

mo0s3

I just got some Steelies and put some tires on them for mock up. I will throw some 35's on it soon ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460763135.401215.jpg

mo0s3

Yeah once it's all mocked up, then I can weld it all together and I was thinking of Rhino lining it Grey [emoji16]

mo0s3

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461214360.303127.jpg
Leaf brackets painted up.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461214397.723358.jpg
New leafs mounted.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461214438.095564.jpg

Rims going on and flipping the trailer over ...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461214472.467752.jpg

And now for the bed to make sure it is all square.....

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461214510.487220.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461214524.540812.jpg

Everything is all matched up now I need to weld it all up this weekend.
More to come, the easy part is done. Now all the rest has to be thought up and fabricated lol

mo0s3

Added the square bar rails and tacked up the Roof Top Tent Frame.
The fab of the tailgate should be interesting
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462202475.478964.jpg

Top Bottom