Jeep JK HEMI/LS Swaps

Rubiconsean

Hey y'all, I have a 08 JK with a the torque monster under the hood, the good ol 3.8. It's getting to be that time to do some upgrades under the hood. I am looking at doing either the 6.4l HEMI or the 6.2l LS swap but want some input on people that have one of these under the hood. I am running 37s and 5.38s with an auto tranny. Il be soon upgrading axles and running 40s also, but want to be able to turn all this weight.What should I do? What's the best motor/tranny combo? Any issues doing the swap?
Il also have some more questions but it's just a start.
Thank you! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466521325.421798.jpg

FLKEYSJK

I know that Eddie is running a 6.2 LS swap on Moby with 40 inch tires and from what I've seen he seems to love it.

Mr.Green

Ok ok sorry I said anything. I'm looking at least 5 years down the road before I do anything this big to my jeep any way.

8POUND

I agree with FLKEYSJK about what Eddie is running in Moby. He would be a great resource for the LS swap.

g00se04

I am also in the market of doing a hemi swap, I would consider a LS but i dont think there is a shop near NC that performs them. The nearest shop to me only performs hemi swaps or supercharger installs. It just a tough call to make spending that type of money $25-30k for a motor/tranny swap or do you save the money put in a fresh 3.8 and supercharger.

Grubbicon

Personally I would go with the LS over hemi because of its simplicity. As far as trans goes if it is a rig that is gonna be on the road a lot Id have a 6L80. My next choice would be a 4L80.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Personally I would go with the LS over hemi because of its simplicity. As far as trans goes if it is a rig that is gonna be on the road a lot Id have a 6L80. My next choice would be a 4L80.

I heard the 6L80s can have a lot of problems even on stock power levels. If you're buying it anyway, the 4L80 might be the better choice and have the 4th gear with a custom ratio maybe?

I've got a 430 LS3 in my Jeep, I love it. I prefer the LS over the Hemi because there is so much support for LS motors & the LS cools better than the Hemi due to the LS having an aluminum block vs the hemis iron block.

Grubbicon

I heard the 6L80s can have a lot of problems even on stock power levels. If you're buying it anyway, the 4L80 might be the better choice and have the 4th gear with a custom ratio maybe?

Its possible. So many options out there to go with.

I have the L96 (iron from 2011 GMC 3500) LS 6.0 with 6L80 in my 09. With a 2 post lift, it was not difficult to do. This was my first swap. No codes, no CEL, etc. seems factory, appearance wise. Went with Motech kit; they were great!

Cubewarrior

LC9 and 6L80 with 4.88 ratio -- only regret is not going 6.2. No problems with heating, and anyone can work on engine. Combination is bulletproof.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I am also in the market of doing a hemi swap, I would consider a LS but i dont think there is a shop near NC that performs them. The nearest shop to me only performs hemi swaps or supercharger installs. It just a tough call to make spending that type of money $25-30k for a motor/tranny swap or do you save the money put in a fresh 3.8 and supercharger.

If you're talking about Rubitrux they use the AEV kit which is basically OEM parts from what I understand. That and they've done a ton of them over the past several years. You get what you pay for with engine builders.

g00se04

If you're talking about Rubitrux they use the AEV kit which is basically OEM parts from what I understand. That and they've done a ton of them over the past several years. You get what you pay for with engine builders.

I think from a reliability standpoint for me its between a hemi or ls motors. From a cost standpoint just doing a new long block install and throw a supercharger on it would save a bunch of money.

I'm roughly looking at 30k to do a 5.7 hemi swap with a auto conversion at Rubitrux. It looks like I would come out a little cheaper to ship my jeep to motech and have them perform the 6.0 ls swap and ship the jeep back to me. I am still doing the homework and wont make the decision until Oct/Nov timeframe of this year.

Da20captain

Hello everyone new poster, but been lurking for a bit.

I completed a Hemi swap the end of November last year. This was a DIY project by me, never witnessed an engine swap, and my father in law who has had a couple drag cars. I did a shitpile of research before deciding on the Hemi. I did consider an LS but after speaking with someone who does both Hemi and LS swaps I decided on the Hemi. It was plug and play, no shit. it may be a little heavier by 150 pounds. True an LS is lighter has tons of aftermarket support. coming from a guy with no major mechanical experience there is no way in hell I would pay someone $20-30k to do this swap. I have heard of more headaches getting an LS swap going than that of a Hemi. I have never had any overheating issues. Either way a V8 in a JK is quite gratifying. The Hemi can be done cheaper than an LS. But that is coming from a DIY experience. After selling old 3.8 and trans I have not much more than the cost of a supercharger install (parts & labor).

I have heard there is someone or some folks that are getting together in Myrtle Beach, SC this weekend(Jeep Week), starting tomorrow. I would be happy to show anybody under the hood and answer questions.

Top Bottom