Rough idle help

Yj Andy

I'm sure you have answered this question many times. But I'll give it a shot. My 1990 won't idle all that great. It has a tbi kit, hei distributor which is brand new, as well as the plugs and wires. And I just got done replacing the timing set, water pump, and balancer. But I can't get a smooth idle. I've tried setting it at 8 degrees base timing and it likes to stumble. I set it to zero and it seems to idle a little better, but it doesn't want to start. I've sent the tbi unit and ecm back to the guy I bought it from so he could test it out, and after a week of running it he found no issues. It's not throwing any codes either. I'm hoping someone out there has come across something similar, or maybe I'm missing something. By the way, the pick up coil, and icm are all good. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

John82601

My '95 4cyl idles like a Singer sewing machine when I put it in gear (auto trans). It's really annoying. Mine has 72k miles on it, full tune-up, cleaned the throttle body, etc. Still idles horrible in gear. Never stumbles or misses, just shakes like a rock tumbler.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
I'm sure you have answered this question many times. But I'll give it a shot. My 1990 won't idle all that great. It has a tbi kit, hei distributor which is brand new, as well as the plugs and wires. And I just got done replacing the timing set, water pump, and balancer. But I can't get a smooth idle. I've tried setting it at 8 degrees base timing and it likes to stumble. I set it to zero and it seems to idle a little better, but it doesn't want to start. I've sent the tbi unit and ecm back to the guy I bought it from so he could test it out, and after a week of running it he found no issues. It's not throwing any codes either. I'm hoping someone out there has come across something similar, or maybe I'm missing something. By the way, the pick up coil, and icm are all good. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked anything on the fuel side?

WJCO

Meme King
If it uses an IAC, try cleaning that or replacing it. Also with an ohm meter ensure tps sensor is working ok (if it has one).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it safe to assume you're running a Howell TBI? If so, did you make sure that the ECM is connected to a good 12v source?

Top Bottom