Christmas Tree and Complete Failure

TwistedJK

While driving the jeep today, I noticed my battery light came on and stayed on. There's a less than one year old optima yellow top under the hood. Left the beach to pick up some food, so maybe drove for 10-15 minutes with the light on. In the lane, every light on the dash came on, it started idling rough, then stalled (2007 Unl X with a little over 111k). Brakes locked up, which made pushing it that much easier.

literally just swapped in a yellow top optima this morning as my stock battery died on my overnight. curious to see what the problem is here. good luck brother.

SuperSlim

The factory setup has a tapered hole in a plate and a domed(?) nut that tightens down and clamps the post. If you have other accessories between the nut and the plate, you can't really tighten to the post.

TwistedJK

The cables are on the post pretty good, even with tugging on it at moderate effort.
image.jpg
I haven't tested anything yet, but I wonder if the alternator might be bad and not charging the battery. That could explain the battery light coming on before all the bs. Or at least I think.

TwistedJK

Not only is this frustrating in its own right, but working on it when it's almost 100 degrees with 98% humidity just adds to the fun. It's like working on it while being inside Satan's asshole!!

TwistedJK

Hooked it up to the charger and let it sit for a while. It have it just enough juice to back it into the garage, so it appears to be in the charging system.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hooked it up to the charger and let it sit for a while. It have it just enough juice to back it into the garage, so it appears to be in the charging system.

I hate to say it but it's most likely your Optima. While they used to be great and I used to run Yellow Tops on all my Jeeps, they have since become shitty and near impossible to hold a charge even using their special fancy charging system.

TwistedJK

I hate to say it but it's most likely your Optima. While they used to be great and I used to run Yellow Tops on all my Jeeps, they have since become shitty and near impossible to hold a charge even using their special fancy charging system.

I hope not, but if that's the case, I believe it's still under warranty (it's like 3-4 months old). I'll have to dig for the paperwork.

Draconianwinter

Did you ever notice your voltage spiking? If so then your alt likely went out. One easy way to to check though is put a different battery in. If alt not working you will know it immediately. Though having said all this is am also used to much older vehicles. Literally this 2016 jk is my first new vehicle not related to work, but I would think of the alt is going out and not gone completely then you will still see the voltage spiking

TwistedJK

Sorry for the delayed response guys, buying a house that closes next week and crazy work schedule. It ended up being the alternator. Replaced it and everything's good. The battery holds a charge, but the voltage regulator in the alternator went, causing it to not charge the battery while running. So far so good, but if anything else happens I'll let everyone know.

TCMguy

While driving the jeep today, I noticed my battery light came on and stayed on. There's a less than one year old optima yellow top under the hood. Left the beach to pick up some food, so maybe drove for 10-15 minutes with the light on. In the lane, every light on the dash came on, it started idling rough, then stalled (2007 Unl X with a little over 111k). Brakes locked up, which made pushing it that much easier.

Why would the brakes lock up ?

JAGS

Hooked
Also check your terminal connections and make sure all are tight. Loosing power would mean loosing power brakes and power steering, which feels weird when accustomed to model vehicles.

Top Bottom