Rear Drive Line PREFERRED or BETTER or BEST PRACTICE need advice

JEEPnGEO

I was replying to CAMINTON about his vibration issue and got me thinking... I would like to know which is the better setup for 75% road 25% trail

Back story... The rock my jeep was sitting on gave-way and jeep fell 32-38 inches and basically fucked a lot of shit up a long while back. So I have been slowly getting parts and replacing everything underneath. This question has to do with the rear diff angle/driveshaft and springs.

I changed out my rear upper and lower control arms ( bottoms bent 1 top lost a bushing)
I got new shocks
Rear adjustable track bar and new mount
Rear Driveshaft (I have the 6 speed manual Rubicon)
I have a 3" lift in the back

Question is: My rear driveshaft has a double cardan (DC) joint on it. So my buddy angled the rear diff even with the drive shaft all the way up to the DC ( So the rear diff is inline up to the DC). Now my springs are sitting at an angle. I moved my Anti-sway bar (ASB) bar mounts back doing the back hole is the front hole now method. My ASB no longer rubs against anything.

I have heard two different lanes of thought when it comes to the drive shaft angle.

1. Keep the DC joint and leave it like it is, Buy spring angle spacers to correct the angle. This is placing a lot of work on the DC since the drive shaft is straight.

2. Adjust the control arms and split the difference in the angle of the Diff and T-case. This way I don't need the spring adjusters and the drive force is split into both U-joints and get rid of the DC.
3. Or do number 2 and keep the DC.

I would also like to know what everyone else runs for their front drive shaft angle. What degree is your front diff?

I have a 2 door.

Thanks,

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don't know who you've been talking to or where you're getting your information from but if you're running a double cardan u-joint style drive shaft, you NEED to set your pinion so that it's in line with your drive shaft. This "splitting the difference" garbage is just that, a load of garbage. Your springs bowing is no big deal but if you want to correct them, installing a set of adjustable lower spring perches like the kind that JKS makes is what I'd recommend.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
By splitting the difference I think you mean having the same DS angle at the TC as the diff. That's only for DS with a single u joint at each end and really only for vehicles that don't have a lot of suspension travel not jeeps

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Best way to do it IMO is to set your pinion pointing to TC output and cut off old spring mounts, and weld new ones to take the bow out. But as listed above there are other ways to skin a cat.

JEEPnGEO

Thanks fellers. I think for now I will get the spacers and then go for the liberation of the old spring perches. I may make more mods down the road so I may not need them.

Thanks again for the quick responses.

Top Bottom