Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

Knows a Thing or Two SilverBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by olram30 View Post
    I usually find a nice empty parking lot, Wal-Mart or a mall works great. Drive it forward straight, not going by the wheel position, but rather the jeep driving straight. Stop gently and adjust the drag link. Takes a few times to get it perfect. I also put a piece of blue tape at the 12 o'clock position of the wheel so I can look through the windshield to see if I'm turning it the right way. Hope that makes sense.
    Thank you for the advise! The tape thing is stellar.

hey! I got teraflex bb 2.5 lift kit installed last summer with 1.75 wheel spacers with stock tires. I notice my jeep ride little bit flighty/wandering and i thought it was windy but I realize it's my jeep. Well I didn't let it bothers me and I was waiting until I got Toyo 35" x 12.50 Open County MT tires with stock wheels last fall. Same issue. Until recently it starts to drive me nut and I would like to fix it correct. After I read this and I thought oh maybe it's caster so i ordered angle finder which I will get it next week. then for some reasons this article mentions about re-centering axle and brain kept saying steering, not axle. But I realized now. I checked to measure and see how much it off from center of axle and looks like it's 1/2 in off. Is that consider big different? If yes, means I need to get adjustable trackbar?

At first, I thought I could fix it but I realize I don't have adjustable track bar (to re-centering front axle, right?) or adjustable UCA/LCA (to fix caster degree) I was hoping to wait a little bit longer to save money to get EVO DoubleD PRO or DTD (wishful thinking) well probably like 5 yrs later.

Well once I get angle finder, I will try to confirm if it's caster or not. If it is, means I need to get adjustable UCA or LCA (or both?)?

Really, it should not affect if the lift kit is 2.5"?

Been Around the Block
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyLeo13 View Post
    hey! I got teraflex bb 2.5 lift kit installed last summer with 1.75 wheel spacers with stock tires. I notice my jeep ride little bit flighty/wandering and i thought it was windy but I realize it's my jeep. Well I didn't let it bothers me and I was waiting until I got Toyo 35" x 12.50 Open County MT tires with stock wheels last fall. Same issue. Until recently it starts to drive me nut and I would like to fix it correct. After I read this and I thought oh maybe it's caster so i ordered angle finder which I will get it next week. then for some reasons this article mentions about re-centering axle and brain kept saying steering, not axle. But I realized now. I checked to measure and see how much it off from center of axle and looks like it's 1/2 in off. Is that consider big different? If yes, means I need to get adjustable trackbar?

At first, I thought I could fix it but I realize I don't have adjustable track bar (to re-centering front axle, right?) or adjustable UCA/LCA (to fix caster degree) I was hoping to wait a little bit longer to save money to get EVO DoubleD PRO or DTD (wishful thinking) well probably like 5 yrs later.

Well once I get angle finder, I will try to confirm if it's caster or not. If it is, means I need to get adjustable UCA or LCA (or both?)?

The AEV geometry brackets are $100 from what I recall. That might work for you.
    More is not better. Better is better.

non timebo mala

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyLeo13 View Post

Just so that we're on the same page here, are you saying that you are running a 2.5" budget boost WITH an additional set of 1.75" spacers giving you OVER 4" of lift OR, are you saying that your 2.5" budget boost came with spacers that only measure 1.75"? There is a BIG difference between the two. Either way, your axle being off center WILL NOT cause your Jeep to feel flighty. A lack of positive caster WILL. Bad ball joints or bad unit bearings can as well but I doubt that is what you're feeling. That being said, a set of adjustable lower control arms will be all that you need to add in a bit more positive caster. I would NOT recommend that you run cheap drop brackets to address your flightiness.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Just so that we're on the same page here, are you saying that you are running a 2.5" budget boost WITH an additional set of 1.75" spacers giving you OVER 4" of lift OR, are you saying that your 2.5" budget boost came with spacers that only measure 1.75"? There is a BIG difference between the two. Either way, your axle being off center WILL NOT cause your Jeep to feel flighty. A lack of positive caster WILL. Bad ball joints or bad unit bearings can as well but I doubt that is what you're feeling. That being said, a set of adjustable lower control arms will be all that you need to add in a bit more positive caster. I would NOT recommend that you run cheap drop brackets to address your flightiness.
    I think he said he's running 1.75in wheel spacers.
    2013 Jeep with some stuff on it

Quote Originally Posted by DA RUNT View Post
    I think he said he's running 1.75in wheel spacers.
    LOL!! I just saw that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Not That Kind of Engineer olram30's Avatar
    I would bet if he measured with full tank of gas, passengers and gear the axle wouldn't be a ½" off.

Ah gotcha. Thank you! I will find out soon once I get hand on angle finder. Wait, cheap drop brackets? I consider Teraflex 2.5 bb cheap and this kit has one for rear, I wonder if that one cause issue? Hmm.

LOL!! I just saw that. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Yes it's wheel spacer, not spacer that's for sure! There's no way I want to go over 4" lift on 35" tires!

Quote Originally Posted by olram30 View Post
    I would bet if he measured with full tank of gas, passengers and gear the axle wouldn't be a ½" off.
    Huh. You probably right, I remember I did fill up gas tank full on that day.

caster with prorock 44 unlimited

so I'm experiencing a heavy wobble in between 25 and 40mph, I've installed a prorock 44 unlimited a while back and the wobble only started about a month ago, I've just noticed the caster is set up at 10*... too much? I went over everything else, brand new ball joints, trackbar, drag links are fine. Control arms frame end bushings are damaged but not much or any movement on the front, tires has been balanced with beads yesterday and still wobbles at the same speed...
    Last edited by RKJK10; 06-25-2015 at 05:19 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, pick a better line!

Quote Originally Posted by RKJK10 View Post
    so I'm experiencing a heavy wobble in between 25 and 40mph, I've installed a prorock 44 unlimited a while back and the wobble only started about a month ago, I've just noticed the caster is set up at 10*... too much? I went over everything else, brand new ball joints, trackbar, drag links are fine. Control arms frame end bushings are damaged but not much or any movement on the front, tires has been balanced with beads yesterday and still wobbles at the same speed...
    When you say fine are you referring to the fact that you re-torqued all front end bolts?
    Looks like I'm locked out. Why?

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast