Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Regearing

Regearing

Been hiding in the shadows for a while now reading and learning. Only had my 92 YJ for little less than a year, been tossing around the idea of regearing as I'm running 33's on stock gearing. Little back ground info I own a 1992 YJ 4.0 5spd. Looked around and the end results from others with similar setups has been to run 4.56's which should put me back to stock power. Now I really dont drive far (work and back) riding around town and so forth..But by next summer I would like to hit the highway and cruise to the beach which would be mostly highway and few back roads. Hardly ever hit 5th gear riding around, unless I'm on a open road but tends to bog down pretty low after the fact. Any help/opinions with this would be outstanding.

4.56 sounds about right to me. If you think you'll ever go up to 35's, you might want to consider 4.88's. They will run on the high side of your RPM's at highway speed but they will give you more power and get you setup for bigger tires.

Been Around the Block Jimmypaget's Avatar
    I've been running 37's and 4.56 gearing with no issues. Axels are stock as well. Non rubicon.
    I like to see what your insides look like, you know as in xrays, cat-scans, MRIs and such.

Want: PR44 and lots of EVO stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmypaget View Post
    I've been running 37's and 4.56 gearing with no issues. Axels are stock as well. Non rubicon.
    I'm assuming you have a JK with a 3.6L motor? The OP is running an old YJ with a 4.0L - not exactly the same thing.

Been Around the Block Jimmypaget's Avatar

Regearing

Yes the 3.6. Ah yes. I see the OP about the 4.0 YJ. Yeah technology would be a little better in 24 years
    I like to see what your insides look like, you know as in xrays, cat-scans, MRIs and such.

Want: PR44 and lots of EVO stuff

I do have plans to run a bigger tire but that's off a good ways. For now though probably going to stick with the 33's. Like I said a lot of guys I've seen that are running the same setup, run the 4.56's so seems like that's the way to go. Take in consideration I'll probably have a fresh rebuild on the 4.0 and the AX to go along with the regearing. Love to do a v8 swap but that's just not in the picture right now

Fresh Catch
    In my old yj and to with 33's I was back and for on which gears to install and after driving a couple of one's with 456 and 410 I preferred the rpm of the 410 for my 33 as I did lots of highway at the time. It kept the rpm at about 2400 in 5th gear doing approx 70 mph. The 485 would have been great for city only and offloading but was just too much for me on the road.
    I went from 307 to 410.

But like was mentioned above, if you plan on 35 or bigger then go 456.
    Present Jeep:
    2013 JK Unlimited, 35 GY Duratrac's, AEV front bumper, Warn winch, Rancho 9000, RE 2.5" spacers for now.
    Past Jeeps:
    2015 JK sport 2 door, stock
    1999 TJ, 4" currie system, Dana 44's lockright's, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ, warn winch custom front, rear and side rails. flat flares etc.
    1994, YJ, 4" procomp springs, dana 44's lockrights, 33" BFG Mud's warn winch, and TJ flares
    1987, YJ, 2" custom leafs 31" Cooper MT

I just put 4.88s in mine with 35 inch tires. So far I'm liking it a lot. Fuel mileage actually went up

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is something I am also looking to do in the near future. I am running 35s with stock gears (3.73) on a manual 3.8 jk. It's a pig taking off in first and guzzles gas but it's livable for now. As my final plan is 37s, is 4.88 enough?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I bet you measure your dick from your asshole. -piginajeep

Quote Originally Posted by jkris View Post
    This is something I am also looking to do in the near future. I am running 35s with stock gears (3.73) on a manual 3.8 jk. It's a pig taking off in first and guzzles gas but it's livable for now. As my final plan is 37s, is 4.88 enough?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    i thought of 37s in the future but i think ill keep the 35s since i am running in the power band on my tj in 5th gear at highway speeds and it no longer feels like it is struggling. before my gear change i had 4.10 on 35s and it struggled in 5th so 37s might need a little more than 4.88 im sure some other guys here are running that set up or have run it before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast