Earthquakes

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
So we just had a 5.8 earthquake located close to the town where we use to live. That town is about 30 minutes away from us now. So far it's being reported that most of the state felt it and some of the surrounding states.

First question as I am curious, did anybody on here feel it.

Second question as I am also curious, those of you that live in states that have them more frequently or are know to have them such as California, how does a 5.8 rank to you all? While we have been having more and more that are large enough to be felt, Oklahoma isn't really known for earthquakes. At least not ones that we can actually feel. So everybody freaks out about them. While this one we had this morning woke me up, I really wasn't too concerned about it. They have never really freaked me out. Though this 5.8 is the largest we've had yet in my lifetime. So many people are freakin out to no end. Every post on Facebook is currently about it, like they think nobody else knows and they are the ones breaking the news about it. It's just kind of funny to me.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Yup, felt it here in Hutchinson Kansas, about 4 hrs NW of Pawnee OK. First one I ever felt. Personally thought it was very cool.

jeffro

I didn't notice anything myself, but people are saying they felt it. I'm in central Illinois, close to Springfield.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
There has been some damage to some older buildings and homes in Pawnee I guess. My in laws own the liqour store in Pawnee, my wife just spoke with them and I guess they have a lovely mess from a bunch of bottles falling to the floor. Seen pictures of the grocery store there in Pawnee and a bunch of stuff fell off the shelves there also.

bthomas

Damn! Hopefully there were no injuries. 5.8 is a big deal when it happens in a place that doesn't get much for quakes. It's enough to cause damage like you said to older buildings, definitely big enough to make a mess of things. Spending the first 30 or so years of my life in earthquake central, So. Kalifornia, a 5.8 is enough to get your attention for a few minutes, but typically not devastating. Most everything in that area has been designed with earthquakes in mind for a long time now. Now living in Arizona for the last 12 years, I miss earthquakes like a case of the flu! Best wishes to all affected.

Moochie

A lot of it depends on how close the epicenter is and how old the buildings are. Here in California, if you live near a fault line, there are certain earthquake standards required for new construction. And in some cases buildings have to be retrofitted if they are older. It is possible to get earthquake insurance.

If the big quake hits, not much will be left standing even with these standards in place. It's a thought always in the back of your mind.

blackrubi14

Felt it here in Owasso, it woke me up, the tv was shaking and our cat jumped up and off the bed as she thought we were shaking the bed. It felt like our house was swaying so to speak.

JAGS

Hooked
A lot of it depends on how close the epicenter is and how old the buildings are. Here in California, if you live near a fault line, there are certain earthquake standards required for new construction. And in some cases buildings have to be retrofitted if they are older. It is possible to get earthquake insurance.

If the big quake hits, not much will be left standing even with these standards in place. It's a thought always in the back of your mind.

Yup, what Moochie said. We don't really need to fear big weather storms like other parts of the country. But that big quake could happen at any time.

As far as a 5.8. If you are within a 20 mile radius of the epi, that is a fair size jolt. We had a 6.2 a few years back and the epi was literally in my city. With our quake standards, just had a few cosmetic cracks and few things fell off the shelves.

We also have things like earthquake straps and the like to secure big furniture to the wall studs.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
The worst thing about a big quake is there is nowhere you can go to get away (unless you are in the air). You never forget the first time you experience a big roller and actually see waves in the ground.

BamBamDeer

We are about 20 miles west of the Arkansas border and we felt it hard this morning. I can't imagine what it would be like in the general vicinity.

JAGS

Hooked
The worst thing about a big quake is there is nowhere you can go to get away (unless you are in the air). You never forget the first time you experience a big roller and actually see waves in the ground.

That is very true.

A.J.

I used to live in Eureka Ca. We had them all the time. 6.9 was a pretty good shake. That was the biggest one I was in. Center was just off the coast by Fortuna so it was pretty close. Tsunami warnings and everything. Good times!

bthomas

I used to live in Eureka Ca. We had them all the time. 6.9 was a pretty good shake. That was the biggest one I was in. Center was just off the coast by Fortuna so it was pretty close. Tsunami warnings and everything. Good times!

I lived in Crescent City for a few years in the late 80's. After reading this thread I was just telling my wife about the Tsunamis that come with earth quakes up there, and the high water marks in town from their big one in 64'. The best I remover it was around 6' in the middle of town!

RUBEERCON

I was in my bass boat at Grand Lake Oklahoma and my wife called and said we had a 30 second earthquake here at the lake. Then people stated piling out on their decks looking to see if the dam broke. I was near the dam when it hit, thank god the dam is strong or I would have been history.
Looking into earthquake insurance before they take it away here in Ok.

A.J.

I lived in Crescent City for a few years in the late 80's. After reading this thread I was just telling my wife about the Tsunamis that come with earth quakes up there, and the high water marks in town from their big one in 64'. The best I remover it was around 6' in the middle of town!

Yep the NorCal coast gets like 250+quakes a year. They had a 5.6 this morning even. Bunch of faults including the famous San Andreas merge right there. Someday I think California is going to fall off into the ocean. Glad to be in southern Oregon a bit more inland now.

Top Bottom