Soldiers pass in Sedona

Kalums

If you follow the link on the bottom of the page "additional information are available...." it takes you to a site with all the related documents stating they will be implementing option B meaning only guided tours, forest service and emergency services will be allowed in

Apparently they will be monitoring Broken Arrow now also... [emoji31]

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

bthomas

This is a pretty crooked deal, this allows one company alone to profit from public lands, that the public can now no longer access. [emoji35] Anyone smell corruption? Although it is a short trail, its is scenic and has some significant landmarks to be seen. Although I wish there was no choice to be made, and the trail was to remain as is, I believe the choices should have been 100% open or 100% closed, one or the other.
I think they've been monitoring traffic on Broken Arrow for quite a while now, the last time I was there, a few years ago, I seem to remember a traffic counter right around the "gate keeper". Others have said there are game cams in the trees, I haven't seen it personally. The Soldiers Pass closure, unfortunately I think will set a precedent for Broken Arrow as well as it's trail head is also in a residential area. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to matter if the trail was there before the homes or not...

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
It's bs. I'm glad I got a chance to run it with my kids again before they closed it. I'd rather see it closed to all vehicle traffic than allow it to be used solely by a private tour business for profit.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I've been to Sedona a couple of times and done those trails. I get the impression that the folks who live near the trails aren't very keen on off-roading. I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from folks when we were jeeping around town or on the trails. Probably has little to do with the proposal but could be related.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I don't get it?? Not only is this going to hurt the Jeep rental businesses, it's also going to hurt all the businesses there. That's a lot of tourism business they're going to lose due to these closures.

Kalums

I dunno but I do know there is A LOT of spare $$$ floating around those neighborhoods near those two trails. Next they will want it closed to Mountain bikers and hikers too, I already see it happening

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I dunno but I do know there is A LOT of spare $$$ floating around those neighborhoods near those two trails. Next they will want it closed to Mountain bikers and hikers too, I already see it happening

There it is! I've been wheelin' Soldiers and Broken Arrow since the 70's and have watched the homes creeping in on both trails. It was only a matter of time for Soldiers. Last time I ran it was 2012 on a weekday and there was little traffic. Weekends are probably a different story. The nearby residents are definitely bucks up and have the say. It's kinda like folks who build next to an airport and then complain about the noise. Farewell Soldiers, l'll miss you.

bthomas

There it is! I've been wheelin' Soldiers and Broken Arrow since the 70's and have watched the homes creeping in on both trails. It was only a matter of time for Soldiers. Last time I ran it was 2012 on a weekday and there was little traffic. Weekends are probably a different story. The nearby residents are definitely bucks up and have the say. It's kinda like folks who build next to an airport and then complain about the noise. Farewell Soldiers, l'll miss you.

I'd say 2013 was the last time I was on either, and it was both weekends and weekday trips. Weekday trips were nice, not a lot of traffic on the trails, or in town. Weekends on the other hand and especially holiday weekends are pretty busy. It's a shame, what money can do.
I'll never understand that mind set.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In other words, the government will now use our "public lands", lands that our taxes pay for and we will no longer have access to and all so that Red Rock Western Jeep Tours can make money off it.

WJCO

Meme King
In other words, the government will now use our "public lands", lands that our taxes pay for and we will no longer have access to and all so that Red Rock Western Jeep Tours can make money off it.

Feels good, doesn't it?

freedom-1sihup.jpg

TonyT

Caught the Bug
I wrote a letter when the initial petition came out. I could be mistaken, but I don't recall one of the options being just one of the tour businesses gets soul access to it. When I got the email stating the outcome I went to that particular tour company's site and they already had it changed to reflect that they are the only company that has access to this trail.

It's a damn shame and it sets an overwhelming example of the power the people involved (on both sides) have.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I wrote a letter when the initial petition came out. I could be mistaken, but I don't recall one of the options being just one of the tour businesses gets soul access to it. When I got the email stating the outcome I went to that particular tour company's site and they already had it changed to reflect that they are the only company that has access to this trail.

It's a damn shame and it sets an overwhelming example of the power the people involved (on both sides) have.

It really is some B.S. I read somewhere that the government's final proposal was to allow tour company access, with a lottery of 20 permits per day for public vehicle use. The mayor of Sedona elected to eliminate the public usage permit option and make it solely open to Red Rock jeep tours. That in itself should be seriously looked into, since there has to be some kind of behind doors financial deal going on to have something like that happen.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It really is some B.S. I read somewhere that the government's final proposal was to allow tour company access, with a lottery of 20 permits per day for public vehicle use. The mayor of Sedona elected to eliminate the public usage permit option and make it solely open to Red Rock jeep tours. That in itself should be seriously looked into, since there has to be some kind of behind doors financial deal going on to have something like that happen.

Why should the mayor of Sedona have any say in how federal PUBLIC land gets used? :naw:

Kalums

Agreed, but $$ is king f everyone else

jesse3638

Hooked
I forgot, that was the first trail I ever ran in a jeep. It was a rental. It was really busy while I was there but it was a great place to go explore. I actually missed the trail head because of the neighborhood that surrounds the thing. Having first hand experience with regards to a federal land management agency I know just how money and politics drive stupid decisions. Dumont Dunes is a prime example of that.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
This incredible, but totally believable.

Seems like I saw a news report similar to this involving an FBI investigation into some computer issues. I am totally shocked that someone would allege that a federal official would take a bribe. :naw::naw:

Top Bottom