Close

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Nothing but a Thing desertrunner's Avatar
    dont know if this will help at all but here is a thread with some pictures questions and tips i got from when i installed the Pro Steers on my old 08

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...er-Ball-Joints
    12' 2dr Gecko Sport 6 speed
    Cooper Stt Pro 295/70/17 ATX 195 17x9, 4Dr Rubi suspension, Rubi Swaybar w/EVO manual no limits, Rubi T case, EVO 1/4lb, Warn Powerplant 9.5

***SOLD*** 08' JKU Rubicon 6-speed Stone White, 3.5" RK lift, 37" KM2s and lots more.
    ***CURRENT DD*** 16' Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    dont know if this will help at all but here is a thread with some pictures questions and tips i got from when i installed the Pro Steers on my old 08

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...er-Ball-Joints
    Thanks I'll look at it now

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I got the 4wd ball joint install loaner from O'Reilly's and it has the longer install cup in it. I had purchased the Jeep specific adapter but the install cup it came with is too short unless and you will need the $10 washer kit.

the Jeep wedged adapter cup made the job easier as well as having new axle guides. the axle guides made it easy to slide the axle shaft back in - no leaks after test drive.

have you checked the toe in?

what's your caster set at?

if your track bar was loose, did you pull the track bar and check the bushings on it?
    Last edited by jeeeep; 11-14-2016 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeeep View Post
    I got the 4wd ball joint install loaner from O'Reilly's and it has the longer install cup in it. I had purchased the Jeep specific adapter but the install cup it came with is too short unless and you will need the $10 washer kit.

the Jeep wedged adapter cup made the job easier as well as having new axle guides. the axle guides made it easy to slide the axle shaft back in - no leaks after test drive.

if your track bar was loose, did you pull the track bar and check the bushings on it?
    If he has the factory track bar it doesn't have a rubber bushing. The old track bars have solid bushings which don't wear out like the new style.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2012 Jeep Wrangler

Didn't check the toe in was hoping to get that after a new tie rod, but didn't buy a tie rod yet, my angle finder said 88 so I thought I was good. I went so far as to put the stock control arms back on yesterday and my angle finder says 86.3 now. For $14 a piece I thought I would press new bushings in the track bars for the heck of it

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    This is where I would start and if I could bet, that's where your problem is.
    Jeeeep is sending me a steering knuckle in case the one I have that is drilled is dicked up and I'll put my pro steers in when I change that. Would you do the unit bearings also?

Knows a Thing or Two Journeyman's Avatar
    [QUOTE=JKbrick;796826]Jeeeep is sending me a steering knuckle in case the one I have that is drilled is dicked up and I'll put my pro steers in when I change that. Would you do the unit bearings also?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app[

I would. If your gonna tear down your axles to replace your ball joints you'll be taking your unit bearings off. It would be great to start fresh with some new Timkin unit bearings at the same time. Their not super spendy either. Some where around $200ish. Unless your starving, than put the old one's back on!

[QUOTE=Journeyman;796849]
    Quote Originally Posted by JKbrick View Post
    Jeeeep is sending me a steering knuckle in case the one I have that is drilled is dicked up and I'll put my pro steers in when I change that. Would you do the unit bearings also?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app[

I would. If your gonna tear down your axles to replace your ball joints you'll be taking your unit bearings off. It would be great to start fresh with some new Timkin unit bearings at the same time. Their not super spendy either. Some where around $200ish. Unless your starving, than put the old one's back on!

Thanks, I saw timken and moog on rock auto, not sure which is better, timken are a hair more so maybe better?

Where did you get axle guides?

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast