Work shop tools!

132JKPNW

Hey everyone, I looking to start a new thread for the DIY group. I love working on my Jeep (even when nothing needs to be done) and love tinkering with pretty much anything on wheels. Part of the fun is getting the right tools to get the job done, weather I'm doing electrical, regular maintenance, or a more intensive fix/upgrade. I don't like buying things twice due to poor quality, but i also don't like overpaying for a brand name products when a cheaper no name product will last and get the job done just as well. Im still building my workshop and tool collection and tend to buy a new socket or random tool every time I have a new task. I would like to see some input from the group on what tools every jeep owner should have, tools that have made your life much easier, tools you wish you've never purchased, tools you've wished you had for a task and why. I know theres a lot of tools out there that would make a tough task a little easier and would like to be more prepared in the future. Thanks for any input!

jeeeep

Hooked
Milwaukee M18 FUEL 1/2in. high torque impact wrench , worth the investment :thumb:

harbor freight impact sockets seem to hold up well

desertrunner

While they are not totally necessary i have found that my set of ratcheting wrenches have come in handy so many times and really saved me time and frustration when it comes to bolts that you cant get to with a socket wrench. I am also really impatient so in tight spaces having to constantly lift and re position the wrench to move the bolt like 1/5th of a turn really pisses me off haha. I have a craftsman set and they have worked great. I am also really glad i spent good money on a nice torque wrench.

20398cfa-0835-4a89-88ec-3de2c6e81f9f_300.jpg

132JKPNW

Image1481148496.913445.jpg
I'll start with my favorite and most used tool. Ryobi 3100psi pressure washer. Going on 3 years with no issues and gets used pretty much weekly. It's paid for itself and fun to use! Must have for every homeowner and jeep owner

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

I am also really glad i spent good money on a nice torque wrench.

This. Everyone needs a good torque wrench.

For me personally, I think having a welder is very helpful.
There's lot of things you just can't do without one.
It also brings the DIY to a new level with fabrication.

132JKPNW

This. Everyone needs a good torque wrench.

For me personally, I think having a welder is very helpful.
There's lot of things you just can't do without one.
It also brings the DIY to a new level with fabrication.

Thats next on my list. I would love to start building my own parts.

132JKPNW

Ratcheting ¾" wrench for the front upper shock bolts, my set did include the ¾" it would have made life a lot easier

I have a 6" one from craftsmen, kind wish i had one a little longer. Ive found my self using a breaker bar one to many times on some of the frame size bolts. I might just buy a small extension pipe. Universal extender.

132JKPNW

I bought a walmart floor jack (black jack) several years ago. Lasted about a year before crapping out (I'm sure i could fix it). Replaced it with a new Harbor Freight 2.5t jack. Much more stable and durable. going on 2 years now with no issues. Think i paid like 120 for it. Pretty dang cheap for what it is.

WJCO

Meme King
Great thread. Personally, I gotta have my metal-working tools. Saw, sawzall, plasma cutter, welder, grinder, dremel.

IMG_20161207_151819_094.jpg

IMG_20161207_151759_301.jpg

IMG_20161207_151745_628.jpg

IMG_20161207_151728_798.jpg

IMG_20161207_151614_877.jpg

Temp laser is a great diag tool. Also a dial caliper can save a lot of time measuring things.

IMG_20161207_151636_089.jpg

IMG_20161207_151650_700.jpg

Grease gun is nice on a Jeep, especially with aftermarket parts. Also, not a tool, but good to have, is lots of chemicals and an assortment of fasteners.

IMG_20161207_151703_910.jpg

IMG_20161207_151522_893.jpg

IMG_20161207_151544_846.jpg

desertrunner

I have a 6" one from craftsmen, kind wish i had one a little longer. Ive found my self using a breaker bar one to many times on some of the frame size bolts. I might just buy a small extension pipe. Universal extender.

Funny you mentioned that because i almost said that as well i didnt have a breaker bar and at the time i found a cheap 18" pipe that fit over my 1/2" chuck ratcheting socket wrench and it worked out great

132JKPNW

While they are not totally necessary i have found that my set of ratcheting wrenches have come in handy so many times and really saved me time and frustration when it comes to bolts that you cant get to with a socket wrench. I am also really impatient so in tight spaces having to constantly lift and re position the wrench to move the bolt like 1/5th of a turn really pisses me off haha. I have a craftsman set and they have worked great. I am also really glad i spent good money on a nice torque wrench.

View attachment 233685

I shadowed a mechanic in high school for three years. He had all snap on tools which i thought was really cool. Now that I'm older and have bills to pay, i try to get all craftsman hand tools. I will say, we broke a lot of snap on ratchet wrenches (replaced for free). Ive used my craftsman ratchets with out a hitch so far. Obviously not being used all day everyday, but good for working on your own cars.

ob_tj

I know I would recommend getting a tie rod/pitman arm puller. The kind you use an impact driver with. Makes life easier when replacing bent up tie rods.

WJCO

Meme King
Maybe we should just turn this thread into a show and tell

We can do that if you'd like. Your call. It would be nice for people to still add some info about tools that work or don't work in the dialog. We also have a 'show us your garage' thread we could merge this with.

Tons of tool threads already. This is like asking a group of men if they are Chevy, Dodge or Ford guys.
Personal preference and brand loyalty will weigh heavy.

My advice. Buy the best tools you can afford. Think of them as investments and something that can be passed down for generations.

Hardline stuff I like Snap-On

Power Tools. I'm a fan of Dewalt

Welders, plasma cutters. Miller

Air tools. Ingersol Rand

Vise, get a Wilton and be done forever.

#Friendsdontletfriendsshopathathorborfreigjt

Top Bottom