Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "Cheap" Warn vs "Top end" Smittybilt winch questions

I got the x2O 10k with synthetic line due to budget. It's been great so far and pulled me out and up when needed. So I have no complaints with the smittybilt as of yet. However, if money would have allowed, I would have gotten a warn. They truly are the best.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have X20 10,000. Lifetime warranty on mechanical. Works great, got it with synthetic line for under $500

Quote Originally Posted by PokerStogey View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why not have the Warn M8000 on the list of options in that price range? It's their US made line I believe.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I don't know much about the winch game.

This is the route I am going. M8000 is tried and true and has come highly recommended from members here in the past as the entry level winch. I was told to stay away from the VR series and other manufacturers that are made overseas. Im going to listen to the warning and spend the extra up front for peace of mind. Its not the prettiest but its proven.

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Knows a Thing or Two Eezybreezy08's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PokerStogey View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why not have the Warn M8000 on the list of options in that price range? It's their US made line I believe.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I don't know much about the winch game.

The m8000 is what I have on my 2dr and it works like a champ. Especially for a cheap warn.

Knows a Thing or Two CastleRockJeep's Avatar
    Warn m8000. I've used it several times, and never had to wonder if it is going to work.

Nothing but a Thing NecessaryEvil's Avatar
    I original bought a smittybilt x2o-10 about a year ago. It looks great and was a great price. After about three weeks, the wireless feature failed on on its second time being used. First use was installing the synthetic rope. Very disappointing. Also made me nervous cause I was traveling to AZ with that as a piece of safety equipment. Totally get it though, rather have a cheap winch than none at all. However, the few times I winched with the Smittybilt x2o, I was disappointed with its power. I had used it to pull a small Honda out of shallow mud. Pretty straight forward pull. Strapped the rear wheel and had the owner on the gas (front wheel drive), used the corded trigger to pull he line in. The winch wound up putting a lot of tension on the line but could not pull the small sedan out (did not budge). I know the car was not that stuck because I pulled it out in reverse like nothing. My battery was also brand new 840 cca. Just not as impressive as I thought and an eye opener. So I bought a warn Zeon 10-s and will never look back. Also when I removed the Smittybilt winch the end of the rope pulled off the mount on the drum from rot. Only a year old, not even. I would buy only Warn, even if it is only a VR. If Warn put their name on the VR, it has to be some what better than all the other Chinese brands.

Been Around the Block PokerStogey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eezybreezy08 View Post
    The m8000 is what I have on my 2dr and it works like a champ. Especially for a cheap warn.

Quote Originally Posted by cavfighter View Post
    This is the route I am going. M8000 is tried and true and has come highly recommended from members here in the past as the entry level winch. I was told to stay away from the VR series and other manufacturers that are made overseas. Im going to listen to the warning and spend the extra up front for peace of mind. Its not the prettiest but its proven.

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator
    Have only used it in a handfull of pulls so far, but it seems pretty bullet proof... and the price point was nice for US made!

You should look at a winch as safety equipment and safety equipment should NEVER be bought based on cost. It should be bought based on what is best. I started off with a Smittybilt so I know where some of you guys are coming from. BUT, put yourself out on a trail stuck and your winch quits working. What good is that 20 year warranty then? My remote quit working on mine and I never trusted it after that.

As mentioned look at the M8000 from warn. Unlike the VR series and shittybuilt winch the M8000 is made is the USA just like their higher end models but at a less of a cost. It actually falls in the same price range of the other models you listed. It what I want to switch to and get rid of a Quadratec winch
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    You should look at a winch as safety equipment and safety equipment should NEVER be bought based on cost. It should be bought based on what is best. I started off with a Smittybilt so I know where some of you guys are coming from. BUT, put yourself out on a trail stuck and your winch quits working. What good is that 20 year warranty then? My remote quit working on mine and I never trusted it after that.
    Well said. Can't put a price on that.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast