"Cheap" Warn vs "Top end" Smittybilt winch questions

WJCO

Meme King
If they were all American made I'd agree with you but a lot of their winches are made in China now too as I understand so I think that negates that advantage.

I don't think 'a lot' of their winches are made in China. A 'majority' of their winches are made right here in the USA. The only one I've heard of being made in the China is the VR series.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
OP, another brand to consider is Superwinch. As far as I could tell, still designed and built in the USA. A lower price point than Warn too. I can't say they're better than the other 2, but you can do your own research on them.

For full disclosure, I have the Superwinch Tigershark series.

ChiliDawg

Negative. What you understand is incorrect. ONLY their VR line of winches are made overseas. As I specifically stated, "I have seen U.S. made WARN winches work reliably again and again" - essentially, EVERYTHING ELSE they make and they are the only winches I would recommend.

Very well I stand corrected. I still think other brands work just fine for most people.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
To better answer your question, what kind of wheeling do you generally do, OP? Are you usually in a park or somewhere where there is a ton of other people, or do you find yourself alone in the woods quite often?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very well I stand corrected. I still think other brands work just fine for most people.

Most of the "other brands" out there are all made by the exact same manufacturer in China - only packaged up in different boxes. If you're willing to buy a 500 units or more, you can get them for about $200 each or less and with "ChiliDawg" stamped on it. Trust me, I get hit up by them on a regular basis to have WAYALIFE winches made. For sure, many will work just fine for most people and for guys like you, I do hope you have one that will get the job done. The problem is with quality control and I'd hate to be the guy who got the 1 in 10 that was made by the Chinese kid falling asleep at the assembly line. For sure, you've probably been in a lot more situations where hard winching was was required and have a lot more experience than I could ever hope to have but in my limited time wheeling, the only winches I've ever seen fail when they were needed the most, were China made winches.

ChiliDawg

Most of the "other brands" out there are all made by the exact same manufacturer in China - only packaged up in different boxes. If you're willing to buy a 500 units or more, you can get them for about $200 each or less and with "ChiliDawg" stamped on it. Trust me, I get hit up by them on a regular basis to have WAYALIFE winches made. For sure, many will work just fine for most people and for guys like you, I do hope you have one that will get the job done. The problem is with quality control and I'd hate to be the guy who got the 1 in 10 that was made by the Chinese kid falling asleep at the assembly line. For sure, you've probably been in a lot more situations where hard winching was was required and have a lot more experience than I could ever hope to have but in my limited time wheeling, the only winches I've ever seen fail when they were needed the most, were China made winches.

The snark is unnecessary, I've never made any claims to having more expertise than anyone here. I'm well aware of how much experience you have, I'm simply chiming in to say - mine works for me. And while I don't doubt the failure rate of Chinese made winches is greater than that of American made winches, even though I haven't seen any numbers to prove it, I also think most people around here wheel in groups and if they were to experience a winch failure, they could simply get assistance like anyone without a winch, and get it warrantied later. Some folks might prefer the peace of mind of a brand they won't worry about failing as much - however if you're in those situations you likely know it and don't need to ask. You made the comparison to parachutes. That's a life or death situation. And I don't think most recreational wheelers are in a life/death situation when they go out on the weekends. Again, just my humble little stinks-like-an-asshole opinion.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
"Cheap" Warn vs "Top end" Smittybilt winch questions

If we were talking about parachutes instead of winches, I'd have to wonder if we would even be having this discussion now.

My winch may sit on the front of my Jeep, a very long time without use, but I want to be assured it will work when I need it. I chose a US made Warn. I've seen too many posts of people with Warns, rescuing people with other winches, to take the chance. Having said that, I'd buy a Warn VR, before I bought any other China winch.

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I'm not dogging your choice or winch. But mine works fine so I don't think it's a "waste of money." You are of course entitled to a different opinion.

*UNTIL IT FAILS*

I really, truly hope it doesn't. Seriously man. I have no hate. all im saying is, Reflect on your needs before purchasing a winch, and you decide if getting out for sure is worth the additional cost. no matter how you slice it, a $500 winch that DID NOT work when you NEEDED it, is a "WASTE OF MONEY"

I advise ALL of MY friends to either by top quality recovery gear, or be ready to rely on someone else who HAS top quality recovery gear while you save for your own. THAT is the point I am trying to make.

if MY jeep was ever in a situation where my family was in the jeep, and the jeep is stuck. I KNOW my WARN will get me out. That confidence, to me anyway, is worth WAY more than the $300 increase on the initial purchase. :crazyeyes:

ChiliDawg

*UNTIL IT FAILS*

I really, truly hope it doesn't. Seriously man. I have no hate. all im saying is, Reflect on your needs before purchasing a winch, and you decide if getting out for sure is worth the additional cost. no matter how you slice it, a $500 winch that DID NOT work when you NEEDED it, is a "WASTE OF MONEY"

I advise ALL of MY friends to either by top quality recovery gear, or be ready to rely on someone else who HAS top quality recovery gear while you save for your own. THAT is the point I am trying to make.

if MY jeep was ever in a situation where my family was in the jeep, and the jeep is stuck. I KNOW my WARN will get me out. That confidence, to me anyway, is worth WAY more than the $300 increase on the initial purchase. :crazyeyes:

I respect what you're saying and I'm not trying to argue with you. I just don't think the quality is the Smittybuilt winches is as poor as y'all make it out to be and for most recreational wheelers they are probably just fine. For the record, I got mine on Craigslist along with my PSC front bumper for a total of $600, so I got my winch for next to nothing basically and it's worked for me every time I've pulled it thus far.

GraniteCrystal

Seems to me that most guys who buy non-Warn are OK assuming the risk that it may fail at some point but they plan on being with friends who can get them out. I respect that and each person has different risk tolerance.

What doesn't make sense to me though, is that it seems like most guys who buy non-Warn not only assume that it may fail at some point, but they usually expect it will fail at some point. As soon as you purchase 2 Chinese winches, you've already made up the cost of the Warn plus you don't have to worry about getting stuck or replacing a winch.

Additionally, if you do think the non-Warn will fail at some point, you're playing a dangerous game with your mind. As you use it more and more, you trust it more and more when you should probably be doing the exact opposite and trusting it less and less, knowing it's nearing the end of it's life.

Just some additional thoughts for the OP. It's your Jeep and you can weigh the pros and cons of a strategy based on how you wheel your Jeep.

Ddays

Hooked
I don't know bout anyone else but now I want a winch that says Chilidawg! That'd be freaking awesome! :cheesy:
"So what brand winch you runnin?" "Chilidawg, man. They're the best!"

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Seems to me that most guys who buy non-Warn are OK assuming the risk that it may fail at some point but they plan on being with friends who can get them out. I respect that and each person has different risk tolerance.

What doesn't make sense to me though, is that it seems like most guys who buy non-Warn not only assume that it may fail at some point, but they usually expect it will fail at some point. As soon as you purchase 2 Chinese winches, you've already made up the cost of the Warn plus you don't have to worry about getting stuck or replacing a winch.

Additionally, if you do think the non-Warn will fail at some point, you're playing a dangerous game with your mind. As you use it more and more, you trust it more and more when you should probably be doing the exact opposite and trusting it less and less, knowing it's nearing the end of it's life.

Just some additional thoughts for the OP. It's your Jeep and you can weigh the pros and cons of a strategy based on how you wheel your Jeep.

With all due respect....

You bring up a good point, about how most guys who buy a non-WARN winch expects it to fail eventually. However, I expect a WARN to eventually fail as well - granted, it may be quite a few years longer then any "Chinese" winch. Just about everything on this planet (especially with moving parts) can and eventually will fail. I think it's naive to put a WARN on your Jeep and go "yup, that's going to last forever."

And that doesn't go for winches, it goes for axles, tires, steering components, etc. Everything has a point where it's going to need to be replaced. Just thought I'd put my .02 in :)

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I don't know bout anyone else but now I want a winch that says Chilidawg! That'd be freaking awesome! :cheesy:

Mmmmm....I could go for a Chilidog right now. This diet got me feeling some type of way :grayno:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The snark is unnecessary, I've never made any claims to having more expertise than anyone here. I'm well aware of how much experience you have, I'm simply chiming in to say - mine works for me.

:cheesy: Whoa there buddy, no need to get your panties in a bunch. I've never met you in person and I would never assume that I know more than the next guy. You just seem pretty sure of yourself and so I can only be left to assume that you're speaking from experience that I don't have. I'm glad to hear your winch has been working for you and I sincerely hope that it will continue to do so.

And while I don't doubt the failure rate of Chinese made winches is greater than that of American made winches, even though I haven't seen any numbers to prove it.

Not sure what "numbers" you'd be referring to. Me, I can only go off of what I have personally seen.

I also think most people around here wheel in groups and if they were to experience a winch failure, they could simply get assistance like anyone without a winch, and get it warrantied later.

Yeah, I suppose that would work out great if you were in a position where pulling you backward was an option or where someone could actually work their way around in front of you. Of course, this is to say nothing about you being in a position where your help would have been the best option but had nothing to offer.

Some folks might prefer the peace of mind of a brand they won't worry about failing as much - however if you're in those situations you likely know it and don't need to ask.

I realize that it helps you to sleep better at night making this into a "brand" thing but it really isn't or at least, not to me. Peace of mind comes from knowing what I have now WILL WORK when I need it just like it has again and again over the last 10 years. Hell, just like the 43 year old winch that's on my old CJ still works to this day. It's not like I haven't run other "brands" in the past, it's just that I have found ones made in the USA work reliably and consistently.

You made the comparison to parachutes. That's a life or death situation. And I don't think most recreational wheelers are in a life/death situation when they go out on the weekends. Again, just my humble little stinks-like-an-asshole opinion.

Ummm, you live in the State of Nevada, a place where you can literally get out to a place 100 miles from the nearest anything and with very little effort and in a day. You don't need to be playing on crazy big obstacles to put yourself in a life or death situation.

WJCO

Meme King

How much you willing to pay? I've got one left.

smittybilt-gen2-xrc-9.5k-waterproof-winch-01.89.jpg

chipper

^^^^ hilarious ^^^ I just spit my drink out.
BTW I'm still saving for a USA made Warn winch.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
However, I expect a WARN to eventually fail as well - granted, it may be quite a few years longer then any "Chinese" winch. Just about everything on this planet (especially with moving parts) can and eventually will fail. I think it's naive to put a WARN on your Jeep and go "yup, that's going to last forever."

As I had mentioned, the WARN 8074 that came on the 1974 CJ5 that I recently bought STILL WORKS. Over the last 43 years, the previous owners had wheeled the shit out of this Jeep and laid it on it's side more than once. They had also used its winch so much that deep groves were cut into the hawse fairlead. STILL WORKS.

I personally know people who've had their Smittybilt winches fail on the first real obstacle they've needed it to work on. I have seen ENGO only work spooling out when we needed it to spool in. I have seen Quadratec winches work sometimes and not others. None of these problems had anything to do with moving parts that wear out over time but rather, were issues with stupid things like shoddy solenoids or faulty wiring in the motors or even water in the waterproof controller box. For me, it's about quality control or the lack there of.

Top Bottom