37" Nitto Trail Grapplers vs Cooper STT Pro's

LU-EE

37" Nitto Trail Grapplers vs Cooper Discoverer STT's

I have no experience with Cooper STT's, but I loved my 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. For those of you that may have experience with either tires in 37" what are the pro's and con's. Which tires would you go with in 37" and why?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have extensive experience with both and what I can tell you is this:

I enjoyed running the Nitto Trail Grapplers and found that they worked well on the trail. They hooked up well on the rocks and seemed to wear fairly well. What I didn't like about them is that the 37's only came in a Load Range C and their sidewalls weren't as strong as I would prefer. I also didn't like that they weren't offered in a 13.50 width. On pavement, they were pretty quite for an MT but they had a strong radial pull to the left and I found that to be annoying. Overall, they're a good tire, their 37's are made in the USA and I would run them again if I had to.

Cooper Discoverer STT Pros are what I'm running now and I absolutely LOVE them! They hook up MUCH BETTER on the rocks and so far, I've found them to wear much better than the Trail Grapplers. I LOVE the fact that they're 37's are available in a 13.50 width and in a Load Range E. The sidewalls on their 37's are extremely tough and I haven't noticed any radial pull from them. They are a bit louder on pavement but just by a bit. If it matters, they are without question, the BEST MT I have ever driven on in ice and snow. The other thing I really like about them is that I could get 5 tires for the price of 4 Trail Grapplers which is quite a deal and of course, Cooper are made in the USA.

Hope that helps.

20161014161200-99dc2a6d.jpg

LU-EE

I enjoyed running the Nitto Trail Grapplers and found that they worked well on the trail. They hooked up well on the rocks and seemed to wear fairly well. What I didn't like about them is that the 37's only came in a Load Range C and their sidewalls weren't as strong as I would prefer. I also didn't like that they weren't offered in a 13.50 width. On pavement, they were pretty quite for an MT but they had a strong radial pull to the left and I found that to be annoying. Overall, they're a good tire, their 37's are made in the USA and I would run them again if I had to.

Cooper Discoverer STT Pros are what I'm running now and I absolutely LOVE them! They hook up MUCH BETTER on the rocks and so far, I've found them to wear much better than the Trail Grapplers. I LOVE the fact that they're 37's are available in a 13.50 width and in a Load Range E. The sidewalls on their 37's are extremely tough and I haven't noticed any radial pull from them. They are a bit louder on pavement but just by a bit. If it matters, they are without question, the BEST MT I have ever driven on in ice and snow. The other thing I really like about them is that I could get 5 tires for the price of 4 Trail Grapplers which is quite a deal and of course, Cooper are made in the USA.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the great feedback. I appreciate that. Five tires for the price of 4 Trail Grapplers!?! :eek: Looks like Cooper STT's is a winner. :thumb:

GraniteCrystal

Hope that helps.

Eddie, what are pros/cons of the Coopers in a 13.5" Load E vs 12.5" Load D? Both 37s. Toughness, noise, rubbing, off road, in snow/ice, etc

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the great feedback. I appreciate that. Five tires for the price of 4 Trail Grapplers!?! :eek: Looks like Cooper STT's is a winner. :thumb:

I should note that this was what I got my 37's for. It is my understanding that 40's have now become high in demand and cost a bit more now.

Eddie, what are pros/cons of the Coopers in a 13.5" Load E vs 12.5" Load D? Both 37s. Toughness, noise, rubbing, off road, in snow/ice, etc

Load Range D will offer a more comfortable ride on pavement and at a higher PSI. Load Range E will have thicker sidewalls and will be tougher on the trail but you'll need to run them closer to 28-30 psi to give you a softer ride. Sound level on both are about the same. Off road, I prefer the footprint that 13.50's offer but you may have rubbing issues if you're running a wheel with too much back spacing.

GraniteCrystal

I should note that this was what I got my 37's for. It is my understanding that 40's have now become high in demand and cost a bit more now.

Load Range D will offer a more comfortable ride on pavement and at a higher PSI. Load Range E will have thicker sidewalls and will be tougher on the trail but you'll need to run them closer to 28-30 psi to give you a softer ride. Sound level on both are about the same. Off road, I prefer the footprint that 13.50's offer but you may have rubbing issues if you're running a wheel with too much back spacing.

Comfortable ride at lower Psi bit... Is that bad? You're saying with a 13.5 you have to lower the psi for it to be comfortable and it sounds like there's a downside. Uneven wear on the tire?

Is there a definite number on backspacing to avoid rub for a 13.5? Wheels I'm looking at are 4.5" backspacing, 17x9.

JAGS

Hooked

When I just priced the TG vs the coops, the coops were actually more than TG per tire. I wanna say the cheapest was about $40-$50 more per tire. One of the reasons I stayed with the TG one more time around.

I'll be paying close attention to the life span of the coops long term. Being a new tire, not too many folks have a lot of road miles on them yet.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Comfortable ride at lower Psi bit... Is that bad? You're saying with a 13.5 you have to lower the psi for it to be comfortable and it sounds like there's a downside. Uneven wear on the tire?

Is there a definite number on backspacing to avoid rub for a 13.5? Wheels I'm looking at are 4.5" backspacing, 17x9.

LOL!! It was just a statement of fact. I know there are guys out there who insist on running 35 psi or higher to get better MPG or something like that. At 28-30 psi, you will have a nice flat footprint and very even wear. If there is a downside is that a greater footprint on pavement will mean you will have more rolling resistance and that will reduce your overall MPG. On the trail, you will have the advantage and that's more important to me.

4" of back spacing is the most I would run with 13.50's and you might still see some minor rubbing. 3.5" is a safer bet.

When I just priced the TG vs the coops, the coops were actually more than TG per tire. I wanna say the cheapest was about $40-$50 more per tire. One of the reasons I stayed with the TG one more time around.

I'll be paying close attention to the life span of the coops long term. Being a new tire, not too many folks have a lot of road miles on them yet.

That's so weird. As I'm sure you've seen, when I got mine, I posted links to Amazon for proof and if I recall, Ddays got his for even less.

JAGS

Hooked
That's so weird. As I'm sure you've seen, when I got mine, I posted links to Amazon for proof and if I recall, Ddays got his for even less.

Oh yeah. I'm not questioning the price. I remember and was going to likely get 5 coops. Just saying it kind of sucked for me as it wasn't the case by the time I actually needed them. That said, the TG were less than I get my first set. Maybe nitto lowered the price??

GraniteCrystal

LOL!! It was just a statement of fact. I know there are guys out there who insist on running 35 psi or higher to get better MPG or something like that. At 28-30 psi, you will have a nice flat footprint and very even wear. If there is a downside is that a greater footprint on pavement will mean you will have more rolling resistance and that will reduce your overall MPG. On the trail, you will have the advantage and that's more important to me.

4" of back spacing is the most I would run with 13.50's and you might still see some minor rubbing. 3.5" is a safer bet.

Thanks. Just read this whole thread too.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=804163

Sounds like I either stick with a 12.5" tire and my current wheel choice with bs of 4.5"
or
Pick a new wheel that has a bs of 3.5 and get the 13.5" tire. Choices, choices.

Ddays

Hooked

I've got roughly 20-25k on mine (dumbass me forgot to write my starting mileage when I installed them) and there's still a shade over a half inch of tread left (my ruler doesn't bottom out). Been to Utah twice, and several other long trips other than that. So far, like Eddie said, these tires handle every offroad condition great. I would never say anything against the Nitto TG's or Toyo OC's but I have absolutely no reason to need to try them as these Coops are that good. I do run mine at 26 psi an I'm happy with the ride there. Wear is really even as you can see here.

tires 1.jpg

tires 2.jpg

Yup - I paid $315.00 per tire and I also got the 13.50's. They were actually a few bucks cheaper than the 12.50's

Exodus 4x4

Thanks. Just read this whole thread too.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=804163

Sounds like I either stick with a 12.5" tire and my current wheel choice with bs of 4.5"
or
Pick a new wheel that has a bs of 3.5 and get the 13.5" tire. Choices, choices.

I ran the 13.5's on a wheel with 4.6" of bs and just added 1.5" spidertrax wheel spacers. Wasn't very excited about running wheel spacers but they held up fine and I was pretty hard on my setup while they were on there.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Basscat

Hope that helps.

Aren't you running 40s on Moby? If I remember correctly you chose load range C for an improved ride but since blew a sidewall in a freak "tree stump" incident on the trail. How's your experience so far with the 40s at Load range C ? If you had it to do again would you opt for load range C or D? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
I've got roughly 20-25k on mine (dumbass me forgot to write my starting mileage when I installed them) and there's still a shade over a half inch of tread left (my ruler doesn't bottom out). Been to Utah twice, and several other long trips other than that. So far, like Eddie said, these tires handle every offroad condition great. I would never say anything against the Nitto TG's or Toyo OC's but I have absolutely no reason to need to try them as these Coops are that good. I do run mine at 26 psi an I'm happy with the ride there. Wear is really even as you can see here.

View attachment 238788

View attachment 238789

Yup - I paid $315.00 per tire and I also got the 13.50's. They were actually a few bucks cheaper than the 12.50's

It's good to hear stuff like that regarding wear. Truth is, not many have have that many miles on them yet. By chance do you know what starting tread depth was? Or comparable shot of the spare with the ruler?

I guarantee I couldn't find them for $315 ea just a couple weeks ago. And, I paid $330 for my nitto TG (all in - including mounting and lifetime balance). Considering I only needed to by only 4 TGs, it aided in my decision this time around.

Had I been able to get five SSTs for that price, I might have considered. That little bit I saved went toward my new fridge. [emoji16]

GraniteCrystal

It's good to hear stuff like that regarding wear. Truth is, not many have have that many miles on them yet. By chance do you know what starting tread depth was? Or comparable shot of the spare with the ruler?

I guarantee I couldn't find them for $315 ea just a couple weeks ago. And, I paid $330 for my nitto TG (all in - including mounting and lifetime balance). Considering I only needed to by only 4 TGs, it aided in my decision this time around.

Had I been able to get five SSTs for that price, I might have considered. That little bit I saved went toward my new fridge. [emoji16]
I think new is 21/32 from what I've found online

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Aren't you running 40s on Moby? If I remember correctly you chose load range C for an improved ride but since blew a sidewall in a freak "tree stump" incident on the trail. How's your experience so far with the 40s at Load range C ? If you had it to do again would you opt for load range C or D? Thanks.

Yes, we're running 40's on Moby and 37's on Rubicat. The 40's are Load Range C and do offer a nicer ride but I don't think these Coopers are offered in any other load range. The only consumer friendly 40 that I know of (or at least that I have personally tested) that comes in a load range E is a 40x15.50R20 Toyo MT and comparable Nitto Mud Grappler. Aside from the freak blowout, I have been very happy with these 40's as is or at least for now. Time and more use may or may not change that.

main.php

Basscat

Yes, we're running 40's on Moby and 37's on Rubicat. The 40's are Load Range C and do offer a nicer ride but I don't think these Coopers are offered in any other load range. The only consumer friendly 40 that I know of (or at least that I have personally tested) that comes in a load range E is a 40x15.50R20 Toyo MT and comparable Nitto Mud Grappler. Aside from the freak blowout, I have been very happy with these 40's as is or at least for now. Time and more use may or may not change that.

main.php

Got it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom