Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on running a 16" wheel or 17" wheel?

Fresh Catch

Your thoughts on running a 16" wheel or 17" wheel?

I have a 2010 4 door Rubicon and I'll be installing a 3.5" lift in the next few months. I plan to run 35" tires on it but I'm trying to decide whether to stay with 17" wheels or go down to 16" wheels. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffself View Post
    I have a 2010 4 door Rubicon and I'll be installing a 3.5" lift in the next few months. I plan to run 35" tires on it but I'm trying to decide whether to stay with 17" wheels or go down to 16" wheels. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
    I ran 16's and then moved to 17's. honestly I noticed a bit more stability on the road due to the lesser exposed sidewall with 17's. on the trail I didn't notice a difference at all
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

I would highly recommend 17". They are a very common size and finding tires for them will be a lot easier and will be more cost effective. They will also be a better fit for when you decide to go 37

IMO this has really to do with the relationship between tire diameter and wheel diameter. In other words having enough "meet" in the form of sidewall height. I wouldn't want to run a 22" wheel with a 35" tire nor would I want to run a 15" wheel with a 40" tire. With your envisioned 35" tires you could run either wheel and be OK although I'm guessing you may have more wheel options in the 17" size.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing tdougherty81's Avatar
    I've ran 16" wheels for awhile but I would say 17" wheels are the way to go for the simple fact you have way more tire options.
    2013 JKU Rubicon Commando Green
    Hound
    Build Thread - http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4...-Green-Rubicon

2016 BU Renegade Trailhawk Anvil
    Mamahawk
    Build Thread -

Sold-2008 JKU Red Rock Crystal Pearl
    RedRock
    Build Thread - http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...dRockJKU-Build

Nothing but a Thing
    And 17's clear the big brake kits.

Quote Originally Posted by tdougherty81 View Post
    I've ran 16" wheels for awhile but I would say 17" wheels are the way to go for the simple fact you have way more tire options.
    True dat!

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    “Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
    Explore. Dream. Discover."

"Take a compass, because it's always awkward when you have to eat a friend."

Already been said but there will be more tire choices with 17's. There will be enough sidewall that you can still air down, but on pavement there will be less sidewall deflection so handling will be better than with a 16.

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    And 17's clear the big brake kits.
    This. If you ever want a brake upgrade, like the Dynatrac kit, you can't run them with 16" wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

17 for sure

go with the bigger wheel and get that extra 1/2 inch of clearance, you have more choices too when it comes to tires if you go with 17's, Im still on 16 inch wheels and kick my self all the time for not spending a few more bucks for the bigger wheels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast