Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pure Chaos!

Fresh Catch

Pure Chaos!

Base information: 2008 Rubicon Unlimited, 3.5" Rock Krawler, 37s, Trail Dash 2,

So last week my gf and I are driving to dinner and I notice some lights start to come on. My traction control light, ESP BAS, ABS, BRAKE, HOT OIL, CEL, are all on within a matter of mins and my tach and speedo have begun to go back and forth between working and no signal. Temperature gauge is right around half where it normally is, and driving is normal. We park, go eat, come back out, starts up and drive it 30 mins home, nothing. Next morning I wake up drive it 10 mins away, do some errands, drive it back home. Couple hours later go out to leave, and all the lights are back on, and it won't even turn over. I mean where do I even start?

Some more background on recent situations that may help you help me....

Recently rebuilt the front axle, and got a proper alignment. (someone told me the steering wheel angle adjustment could be causing all of this, any truth?)

Had a battery issue where it would just drain and go dead over night, but alternator was working properly. Carried a jump box with me for a week until it wouldn't even jump anymore
    had the battery tested (optima red top, less than 6 months old) was a bad battery and they replaced it. Haven't had any issues since.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!!

-Tyler

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by TMax173629 View Post
    Base information: 2008 Rubicon Unlimited, 3.5" Rock Krawler, 37s, Trail Dash 2,

So last week my gf and I are driving to dinner and I notice some lights start to come on. My traction control light, ESP BAS, ABS, BRAKE, HOT OIL, CEL, are all on within a matter of mins and my tach and speedo have begun to go back and forth between working and no signal. Temperature gauge is right around half where it normally is, and driving is normal. We park, go eat, come back out, starts up and drive it 30 mins home, nothing. Next morning I wake up drive it 10 mins away, do some errands, drive it back home. Couple hours later go out to leave, and all the lights are back on, and it won't even turn over. I mean where do I even start?

Some more background on recent situations that may help you help me....

Recently rebuilt the front axle, and got a proper alignment. (someone told me the steering wheel angle adjustment could be causing all of this, any truth?)

Had a battery issue where it would just drain and go dead over night, but alternator was working properly. Carried a jump box with me for a week until it wouldn't even jump anymore
    had the battery tested (optima red top, less than 6 months old) was a bad battery and they replaced it. Haven't had any issues since.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!!

-Tyler
    100% you have a loose negative terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by JKDream View Post
    100% you have a loose negative terminal.
    Agreed. Sounds like a loose battery terminal. If you've installed any accessories onto your terminals, remove them. The nut is tapered and will tighten up the clamp as you tighten the nut. A ring terminal in between the nut will prevent this from working and you will have problems.

These guys are correct. Same thing happened to me on my 2014. Disconnected my winch cables from the battery and I never had the issue again.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    So a slight update that I have yet to resolve my issue and have not driven my jeep in almost a month now. I disconnected all accessories, I have changed both negative and positive terminals, we have swapped batteries, changed 2-3 grounds that showed some corrosion, and as of yesterday replaced the TIPM. My jeep continues to pulse all gauges, basically every light is on or off at any given time, and as soon as the red security light comes on, the jeep will not start. It flashes hot oil, with boxes around the gears that come on and off. I feel we have almost exhausted all options besides trying to take it to a dealer. Any opinions, ideas, whatever you got, please let me know.

I saw this in another thread just recently about the sway bar motor shorting out from water. Apparently the sway bar motor fills with water, shorts out, and starts draining the battery. Try disconnecting the big square plug from the sway bar motor and see if things go back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I had this problem before with the sway bar connector. It was causing for lights to go of on the dash. Not so dramatic, I would only get random single lights popping on my dash board, like lockers trying to engage on the freeway at 60 mph. Scary to see to say the least.
    Unplug you sway bar motor and check for corrosion on the connector, those motors are known for that.

.....…............................................ ...................
    MY BUILT/REBUILD: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4...931#post859931

I had something like that happen 1st time I took my jeep out dash lite up like a Christmas tree it turned out to be the abs control module went out put it in limp mode dash.jpg
    15 jku rubicon
    4" bds
    35 ko2
    9.5 cti
    altas bumpers

agreed wit WAYALIFE had the same issue about six month ago! Took the necessary steps and the issue was gone.

Been Around the Block LetsGoMuddin's Avatar
    Have you checked for any active codes?
    1997 O|||||||O TJ
    Truck- Lite
    Metalcloak
    DynoMax
    33" Duratracs
    My Build: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...-Jeep-TJ-Build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast