Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Maggie the Yellow JKU

Nothing but a Thing AZ Explorer's Avatar

Maggie the Yellow JKU

This will be a fast build thread because the Jeep "Maggie" is nearly done. So far there have been four phases. Phase one was buying the Jeep.
    I had been out of the off road game for several years and had kind of sworn them off because I end up spending way too much money on them. I'd had a few cars and it was okay but not really me. I had a Dodge Challenger R/T Hemi, which was bright orange with a 6-speed. It was a fun car and I wasn't really looking to get rid of it. BUT... My wife and I went to the Dodge/Jeep dealer to get something for the car, some small part I think, and right in the middle of the showroom floor with the top down was a 2015 yellow JKU sport. I walked right to it and was checking it out. It was very nicely equipped and the dealer had put some 10A bumpers and wheels on to move it. For some reason I thought all JKU's were priced somewhere in the $45,000 range and up so I never considered one. This one stickered at $35,000 loaded up pretty good. That was within a thousand of what the Challenger was. Well, I started doing the math in my head and realized it was doable. We went for a test drive and a few hours (and a pissed off wife) later, we owned it.
    The reason my wife was pissed was I had just put new tires and wheels on the car. But she got over it once I explained how much more versatile a Jeep is not to mention she could drive it since we got an automatic. Literally from the showroom floor to the trail in the space of a few hours. It was a blast and I couldn't remember why I thought not owning a 4x4 had been a good idea.WP_20150315_002.jpgWP_20150315_001.jpg

Phase 2

After having the Jeep for about 6 months I got the itch that always comes and knew I was going to lift it. I put a 1 inch body lift on and a 3 1/2 inch suspension plus Bushwacker flares to clear 37 inch tires. Based on the look and function I was going for this fit the bill. I like a little old school in my Jeeps so I did some 6 inch round lights at the windshield and a Hurst T- handle inside. I went with what I called temporary parts to get the job done and bolted up a Smittybilt bumper and simple sidebars just so my wife could get in. I wasn't doing anything out of control trail-wise so I ran stock gears and the Dana 30 for a little better than a year. Fine in the flat areas, hell in the mountains. Never did break or bend anything but not really recommending for others to attempt it. Basically, this project build on a budget to get it up quick.
    More to come in phase 3.

DSCF1032_1_40.jpgDSCF1033_40.jpgDSCF1038_40.jpgDSCF1041_40.jpg

Phase 3

Took it on a few trail runs, nothing too complicated. Phase 3 was a simple but visually and functionally drastic mod, ATX chamber pro beadlock wheels. Minor mods include Drake fuel door, rear bumper raise, and a Rugged Ridge fastback softtop.
    The beadlocks are awesome! The soft top is not the best top on the market, the Bestop Trektop NX is a much better top. However, this top doesn't leak and is good for the money. It had two things going for it that I really wanted in a top that Bestop didn't have. 1. it has the rear straps which have an old school look like the old bikini tops I had on my CJ and YJ when the sides and rear windows are out, but it stays tighter due to snapping into the door surrounds. The other thing is that it is really easy to fully remove. This is not the top for everyone but it works for me. I expect to have to replace it much sooner than I would a Bestop.
    I am waiting for my new hood to be painted and it should be done and installed by this weekend. That will wrap up Phase 4 and I will be able to post up some pics of the mostly functional mods. Kinda went full retard in that phase but now the Jeep is what I wanted it to be.

282_40.jpg296_40.jpg011_40.jpg329_40.jpg

Awesome Jeep bud!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I bet you measure your dick from your asshole. -piginajeep

It's very nice, good job

Great build so far, love the yellow

Quote Originally Posted by jkris View Post
    Awesome Jeep bud!

Thank you, jkris!

Quote Originally Posted by VeruGE*144 View Post
    It's very nice, good job

Thank you, VeruGE*144!

Quote Originally Posted by hinrichs View Post
    Great build so far, love the yellow
    Thanks, hinrichs! I love the yellow too. There are some great Jeep colors available, but this one just seemed to call to me. It really stands out in a crowd.

The Hood... Part 1

Well, the new hood will not be ready until next week. They say it will be done for sure next week and set an appointment for Saturday morning to install. This had been an adventure to say the least. When I started out I wanted to do something with the hood which I thought was a little boring. So I went cheap, or so I thought and got a Daystar hood cowl. After cutting a perfectly good hood and painting the cowl it fit for crap. The front stuck up on each side and looked horrible. Eventually, I disassembled the whole thing and found that while I followed the template, it wasn't cut out enough. My fault in part because I should have test fit everything and cut away more during initial install. I fixed it and touched up the new edges with paint and it fit, better. Not great but I thought livable. It fit nice all around except in the front where it touched in the middle but was up on each side. Most people don't notice it, but it bugs me. The other problem was the underside now looked like crap. Easy fix, get an under-hood liner and make it look more factory. When I hear the retainers are $5.00 EACH! and I need about $40.00 worth. I skipped them and used ones I had at home. Small problem, they are just slightly too long. I try to push them in with my thumb and they still feel a little loose. So I give them a light whack with the palm of my hand and they still don't move. Well, I closed the hood figuring it's as good as it's going to be. Except now I have two small outward facing dimples and broken paint, from a love tap no less. So at this point I am tired of fighting it and pissed because I ruined a hood and decide I am not sinking another penny into this one to fix it. And it wasn't what I wanted anyhow, I was just being cheap. So I ordered another hood, something I thought looked cool and supposedly a good heat reduction design. But that's another story. Ah, Jeeps.

unnamed-2.jpgunnamed-1.jpgunnamed.jpg

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast