Big problem. Need opinions

TennJK

So I was getting a bad grinding sound in the rear passenger brake system and pulled everything to find that it was a much bigger problem. Basically the bearings have grenaded and have scored up everything, including the mounting edge where the seal is pressed into. Can't get a shaft back into it without damaging the bearings and seals. Any ideas?? IMG_0816.jpg IMG_0817.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Has someone worked on this before? I don't see how the damage occurred to the red part in my pic below unless someone beat on it. As far as the blue part, you could carefully grind it down with a Dremel. Just put a small bead of rtv around the very outside diameter of the new seal when you seat it. You're going to have to pull the old race out of the housing as well. And I recommend changing fluid to get any metal out. As far as straightening that red part, good luck and be careful.

IMG_20170309_161942_011.jpg

TennJK

Yeah someone has worked on it before. The gouges in the metal came from a piece of the assembly around the bearings breaking off and getting twisted up into the edge I believe

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Yeah someone has worked on it before. The gouges in the metal came from a piece of the assembly around the bearings breaking off and getting twisted up into the edge I believe

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

more likely the other way around, the edge got beat up from previous work and the bearing broke apart after it had worn enough from rubbing on that bent portion.

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
So I was getting a bad grinding sound in the rear passenger brake system and pulled everything to find that it was a much bigger problem. Basically the bearings have grenaded and have scored up everything, including the mounting edge where the seal is pressed into. Can't get a shaft back into it without damaging the bearings and seals. Any ideas??

Yeah someone has worked on it before.

1) why aren't you ALREADY on the phone with the asshats who did this?? its obvious from the pictures that this could not have been caused by driving abuse and/or operator negligence, this is undeniable poor workmanship and an EASY win :thinking:

2) if you are where you are now, why did you have someone else do it in the first place? :idontknow:

3) it may be salvageable... but, a new housing is going to be your best bet. if the shop who fucked it up are footing the bill, you need a new housing, and a full rebuild, provided by YOUR choice shop... NOT them. I would NOT let them touch my jeep EVER again. :naw:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have to agree with DWiggles here, you should be on the phone with the shop that worked on your Jeep.

With that said, all you need to do is remove the bearing race. That's the part on your axle housing that's all jacked up. A new axle shaft and bearing kit should come with a new one.

Top Bottom