Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken tie rod

Fresh Catch

Broken tie rod

spojovacka.jpg
    spojovacka2.jpg

I am new here and I would be happy if you could give me your opinion about this issue:
    This happened to me today. This is a tie rod which was recommended and mounted by Hendricks 4x4 service in Gardnerville, NV 3.5 years ago. I think that they did it terribly wrong. I could kill myself or anyone else. Fortunately, it this happened at a slow speed in a desert quite close to my home.
    BTW, could anyone recommend any good 4x4 service near Carson City, NV?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lol 3.5 years ago and somehow it's the shops fault?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2012 Jeep Wrangler

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Lol 3.5 years ago and somehow it's the shops fault?

Look at the pictures. In my opinion, it's definitely the shop's fault. I am not an expert but I think that they simply ordered too short tie rod and could not mount it correctly so they used a welder (and it was welded really bad).

Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonW_CZ View Post
    Look at the pictures. In my opinion, it's definitely the shop's fault. I am not an expert but I think that they simply ordered too short tie rod and could not mount it correctly so they used a welder (and it was welded really bad).
    That may be the case but it was 3.5 years ago! That is your fault for not EVER checking your jeep.

2012 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonW_CZ View Post
    I agree the weld looks poor. My wild ass guess would be that they probably won't warrantee it 3.5 years later, but the worst answer you'll get is "no".
    2013 JKU Sport "Spider" with some EVO goodies and a chop here and there

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Overall "build thread" http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...ker-quot-build

Been Around the Block Slimebones's Avatar
    Periodic maintenance checks need to be done on these vehicles quite often to try to avoid these type of issues.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimebones View Post
    Periodic maintenance checks need to be done on these vehicles quite often to try to avoid these type of issues.

Periodics checks were done. Not only by myself after almost each trip but also quite often by the same shop which mounted it :-) But I worry that this is the type of problem which cannot be found - the weld looks good until it breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC Wrangler View Post
    I agree the weld looks poor. My wild ass guess would be that they probably won't warrantee it 3.5 years later, but the worst answer you'll get is "no".
    Agreed. Might as well talk to the shop and see if they can help you. The most they can say is "no".

As far as other shops go in Carson City, I've had driveline work done by Jigsaw over on Hot Springs Rd. and know they do other automotive work as well. Perhaps they can help out. I know Trail Bud likes to use the Napa service center on Oak St. and he's been happy with them.

Even if they warrantied it out, I wouldn't feel safe running that same tie rod. There are to many choices out there to risk such a vital component like your steering.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wow. Sucky either way. Buy a new Crown assy for 100 bucks or upgrade to an HD Currie one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast