Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VIDEO : SCRUB RADIUS - What it's All About & The Dynatrac PRO 1550 Knuckle

Quote Originally Posted by FuriousDz View Post
    Im still having a little trouble wrapping my head around it.

So is it the design of the knuckle combined with the BS that allows such a small scrub radius? Does the BS alone change the scrub radius on say a stock axle?

Awesome info by the way!
    Scrub radius is where the center line of the wheel/tire meets the SAI line. So if they don't meet, scrub radius is the space between those two lines. The closer the better. So yes it is a combination of both the knuckle design and the backspacing of the wheels.

The way I'm reading it is that the new knuckles allow you to run wheels with more backspacing and not have rubbing issues, etc, and achieve a better scrub radius at the same time.

That last few seconds where he explains how it's difficult for a tire to roll with the locker engaged really sums up what might be the biggest advantage of the decreased scrub radius; easier turning on obstacles with the locker engaged.
    2015 Anvil Rubicon Unlimited
    Evo Mfg Double Throwdown suspension w/Evo Lever
    Evo Mfg high clearance long arms
    Evo Mfg PR60 high steer w/PSC hydraulic assist
    Dynatrac ProRock XD60 front axle
    Dynatrac ProRock 80 rear axle
    ARB lockers & 5.38 gears
    JE Reel 1350 front/1410 rear driveshafts
    Evo Mfg rocker/corner armor/bumper
    17" ATX Slabs & 40" Nitto Mud Grapplers

Proud to be one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001 - 2010. Semper Fi

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jeeeep View Post

in all seriousness I'm considering going back to stock knuckles, not sure why my steering changed so much after installing the Rancho knuckles
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Unless there is something I am not aware of on your new knuckles, I wouldn't think they would cause a change. Of course, I have no experience running them so I couldn't say for sure.
    Not to hijack too much, but what issues are you having with the Rancho knuckles, Jeeeep? Mine have been fine. My steering improved, but then again, I wasn't running high steer prior and should have been.

Very well explained and everything makes more sense now, cool stuff!

Been Around the Block FuriousDz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    While the PRO 1550 steering knuckles alone will help reduce scrub radius and therefore improve steering, running them WITH a set of wheels that have 5.5" of back spacing will virtually eliminate scrub radius, vastly improve steering, protect your steering components and help them to last a lot longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Scrub radius is where the center line of the wheel/tire meets the SAI line. So if they don't meet, scrub radius is the space between those two lines. The closer the better. So yes it is a combination of both the knuckle design and the backspacing of the wheels.

The way I'm reading it is that the new knuckles allow you to run wheels with more backspacing and not have rubbing issues, etc, and achieve a better scrub radius at the same time.
    Thanks for the clarification!

Jim did a great job of explaining something fairly complex in a manner which is easily understandable by the layperson.

Fresh Catch

Great explanation

This is very well described and easy to understand!

Thanks for taking the time!

Quote Originally Posted by jeeeep View Post
    well hell...

I just added spacers on the pr44 but I've got Dynatrac BallJoints so I'm going back into my "it's all good" safe place lol

in all seriousness I'm considering going back to stock knuckles, not sure why my steering changed so much after installing the Rancho knuckles
    The instructions for those knuckles provide guidance for adjusting the steering stops (they come intentionally long), take a look.

www.reidracing.biz/JK001RL.pdf
    •|||||||• 2015 Unlimited Sport S Baja Yellow
    Auto / 4.56 Gears / G2 35 Spline ARB Front, Ected Rear Axle / Alpine 9-Speakers & Sub / MC 3.5" w 6pak shocks / 31570R17 Cooper STT Pros

Nothing but a Thing TrainWreck618's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chitown35 View Post
    The instructions for those knuckles provide guidance for adjusting the steering stops (they come intentionally long), take a look.

www.reidracing.biz/JK001RL.pdf
    Rancho Reid

Two different company's

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast