Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evap Line repair

Evap Line repair

So as some of you know, the other day I broke one of the evap lines that comes off the gas tank which runs up to the filler neck when reinstalling my tank. Unfortunately this piece is not replaceable UNLESS you get a whole new tank. Well at $700 from the dealer I was not going to buy a new one. So today I decided to tackle it.

I was going to follow this install video below but decided to try something different.
    https://youtu.be/ChFdbBuM_VQ

What you will need:
    1/8 x 1/8" hose barb
    Jb weld
    Patience

So this is what it looked liked when it was broken
    IMG_7521.jpg
    As you can see the nipple sheered off the plastic

So I ran out to the store this morning in search of parts like in the video. I came to find out the the inner diameter of the nipple was very close to 1/8 in size. So I bought a 1/8 barbed nipple.
    IMG_7523.jpg

I then mixed up some jb weld
    IMG_7524.jpg
    Image1490457569.149977.jpg

And applied some to the end of the barb. (Sorry no pics as I didn't think about it)

I installed the new barbed end into the broken piece in my hand. Then applied some more jb weld onto the other end making sure not to plug the hole.

I then installed it
    Image1490457687.886233.jpg

There was a lot left over that it smushed out and I was able to apply some around the outside to help seal it a little more.

At this point DO NOT reattach the line to the filler neck! You must let the jb weld cure. I would suggest that you don't drive your vehicle either for a period of time. Once dry after 12 hours or so you can apply more weld to the outside if you choose and reconnect the line.

And that's it For about $10 and some time!! I hope this helps for if this happens to someone else in the near future
    Last edited by cozdude; 03-25-2017 at 04:10 PM.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Glad to hear you were able to get this fixed and for a lot less than $700! Nice job and thanks for posting up a write-up here for others to see.

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Great fix! Thanks for sharing it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Good save man!

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Glad to hear you were able to get this fixed and for a lot less than $700! Nice job and thanks for posting up a write-up here for others to see.
    Yea I'm super happy with it! Figure only $10 and your all fixed! How can you beat that!?

Also your welcome! Glad to share my repair with everyone here
    Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    Great fix! Thanks for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by cavfighter View Post
    Good save man!

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator
    Thanks guys!

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-

jlwrangler.com

Been Around the Block Tumbleweed's Avatar
    Glad you got it fixed. Can't believe that you have to buy an entire new tank. That's Bull Sh!t.

Anyway, is there anything you can do to protect it, keep it from happening again?

Good job with the repair.
    '11 JK Silver 2 Door-ACE bumpers-37" Toyo Open Country MTs-Smittybilt sliders-Warn 10K Zeon Winch-3" lift front -4.5" JKU lift rear-Fox shocks-AEV heat reduction hood-ProRock 44-ARB lockers-5.13 gears-RubiCrawler-RCV Axles-Poison Spyder Crusher Flares-EVO Rock Skins-M.O.R.E. Battery Tray-Odyssey dual batteries-ProGrip Brakes-PSC Hydro Assist

Good job. Hope it lasts. A lot cheaper than a tank.

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Nothing but a Thing 13_gecko_rubi's Avatar
    Shit wish you lived closer. I'd give u a whole tank for free. Hope it holds up

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Had the same thing happen to me. Since mine is a 2010, I would have had to get a new tank. Epoxy is holding up so far no problems after about a year.

I bet you measure your dick from your asshole. -piginajeep

Just an update. Everything is holding great! Added a little extra jb weld before I went wheeling last week
    Image1491675056.715552.jpg

Little messy but doesn't need to be pretty, just hold

2011 JK

Awaiting install-
    On Order-

jlwrangler.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast