Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bigger and Better Engines

Knows a Thing or Two JKU EXTREME's Avatar

Bigger and Better Engines

I'm curious to know who out there has an aftermarket engine. What size and why you chose that particular engine over the other options out there.
    (I personally the stock engine, but am curious to see the variations people have)
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have the 5.7 hemi because it was the only option when I put it in other than stock.

Willys / 1949 CJ3A
    Autumn Yellow
    2.2 Ecotec to th350
    HEMI / 2011 JKUR
    Sahara Tan
    UNNAMED / 2012 JKR
    Ruby Red

For the longest time, HEMI's were the only option other than stock available. Companies like AEV have a great kit that makes the install of one look and feel factory too. That being said, once the new 3.6L Pentastar came out, it became harder to justify doing a 5.7 but then, you can do it with much bigger options now as well. For me, I went with a 6.2 LS. After Motech came out with their kit, it made the most sense to me as it's almost the same size and weight as a 3.8L v6, doesn't require you hammer in the firewall to make it fit, doesn't have the over heating issues that I've personally seen HEMI's have, you can find used motors everywhere and for cheap, they get great MPG, you can find parts for them everywhere and for cheap and I could go on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    For the longest time, HEMI's were the only option other than stock available. Companies like AEV have a great kit that makes the install of one look and feel factory too. That being said, once the new 3.6L Pentastar came out, it became harder to justify doing a 5.7 but then, you can do it with much bigger options now as well. For me, I went with a 6.2 LS. After Motech came out with their kit, it made the most sense to me as it's almost the same size and weight as a 3.8L v6, doesn't require you hammer in the firewall to make it fit, doesn't have the over heating issues that I've personally seen HEMI's have, you can find used motors everywhere and for cheap, they get great MPG, you can find parts for them everywhere and for cheap and I could go on and on.
    I loved watching Moby get that 6.2LS upgrade and that'll be the V8 I will eventually drop into my jku. There's just so many options out there with LSs the possibilities are endless and there is a plethora of aftermarket upgrades.

Go check out Motech's YouTube channel where he reviews the 6.2 and new 8 speed trans. It's not overly aggressive, just smooth and refined. That, to me, is the reason you go V8 and skip the supercharger option.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I totally agree ^^^
    Personally my hemi has been fine and no major issues

Willys / 1949 CJ3A
    Autumn Yellow
    2.2 Ecotec to th350
    HEMI / 2011 JKUR
    Sahara Tan
    UNNAMED / 2012 JKR
    Ruby Red

Knows a Thing or Two bruggymonster's Avatar
    Anyone run a diesel engine?? Most likely a Cummins?

Quote Originally Posted by JK_Dave View Post
    Go check out Motech's YouTube channel where he reviews the 6.2 and new 8 speed trans. It's not overly aggressive, just smooth and refined. That, to me, is the reason you go V8 and skip the supercharger option.

Ooooo an eight speed. I like!

Bigger and Better Engines

Quote Originally Posted by bruggymonster View Post
    Anyone run a diesel engine?? Most likely a Cummins?

I've been looking at putting a 3.0L Isuzu 4JJ1 in a TJ later this year if I don't spend all my money on overseas trips. I was originally looking at doing it in a JK but decided on the TJ instead.

They are relatively cheap, make good power, come with a good 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual and have the TC drop on the right side for a jeep.

Fresh Catch
    I'm running a 6.0LS and 6l80 from Motech and love it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast