SPOD and rigid industries fuse question..

So Im running the sPOD and bought a new 10" LED rigid industries light bar. The wiring rigid comes with has a fuse built/relay built into the power wire.. my question is do I need that fuse or can i just cut it out and wire the rest of the wire to the spod.. I feel like because the spod has relays already built in there is no need for the additional fuse/relay, but am I wrong?

My question comes from a problem I am having.. put Rigid LED bar on rear bumper, connected the rigid connectors and ran the wire outside the jeep (for now) to the spod to make sure it works. Wire is not long enough so i cut the fuse/relay out and just twisted some wire to the rigid light bar wire to extend it to reach the spod.. everything good to go anddddd doesn't work.. before I installed the light to my rear bumper I plugged it into the battery and it worked so I know it is not the light. All my other accessories on the sPOD work. When I hit the switch it lights up as if it is working to the rear bumper light, but no light.. has to be my wiring right?

WJCO

Meme King
First of all, spod has a pretty shitty reputation here, so I doubt anyone here is running a similar setup: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?15125-sPOD-Honesty-Integrity-and-the-Lack-Thereof

Not too long ago, another member had an issue where he had modified the rigid harness and it didn't work, he got it fixed, but I don't remember the details. I would try running power directly to the light again to make sure the light is ok. Then double check all of your connections. I have wired several LED lights by extending wires with no issues, so not sure what's going on.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
So Im running the sPOD and bought a new 10" LED rigid industries light bar. The wiring rigid comes with has a fuse built/relay built into the power wire.. my question is do I need that fuse or can i just cut it out and wire the rest of the wire to the spod.. I feel like because the spod has relays already built in there is no need for the additional fuse/relay, but am I wrong?

My question comes from a problem I am having.. put Rigid LED bar on rear bumper, connected the rigid connectors and ran the wire outside the jeep (for now) to the spod to make sure it works. Wire is not long enough so i cut the fuse/relay out and just twisted some wire to the rigid light bar wire to extend it to reach the spod.. everything good to go anddddd doesn't work.. before I installed the light to my rear bumper I plugged it into the battery and it worked so I know it is not the light. All my other accessories on the sPOD work. When I hit the switch it lights up as if it is working to the rear bumper light, but no light.. has to be my wiring right?

Make sure you take the fuse out of the Rigid wire harness (power line) and plug that into the sPod port that you're using for the switch. You won't need the Rigid relay any longer, that's what the sPod is for. You'll just need the power and ground leads from the light bar which attach to the same port on the sPod that you plugged your fuse into and corresponds with the desired switch in the cabin.

If for some reason, that's still not working, take a multimeter and test the power and ground locations on the sPod port you're using - switch both off and on to make sure you're getting power there. Could be a bad relay in the sPod. If you are getting power, go back and check your wires leading to the light bar. It could be a bad splice in the line or maybe you nicked it somewhere when running it from the rear bumper.

Make sure you take the fuse out of the Rigid wire harness (power line) and plug that into the sPod port that you're using for the switch. You won't need the Rigid relay any longer, that's what the sPod is for. You'll just need the power and ground leads from the light bar which attach to the same port on the sPod that you plugged your fuse into and corresponds with the desired switch in the cabin.

If for some reason, that's still not working, take a multimeter and test the power and ground locations on the sPod port you're using - switch both off and on to make sure you're getting power there. Could be a bad relay in the sPod. If you are getting power, go back and check your wires leading to the light bar. It could be a bad splice in the line or maybe you nicked it somewhere when running it from the rear bumper.

That is my plan. I need to get a meter to see if the wires are getting power in the back of the jeep.

First of all, spod has a pretty shitty reputation here, so I doubt anyone here is running a similar setup: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?15125-sPOD-Honesty-Integrity-and-the-Lack-Thereof

Not too long ago, another member had an issue where he had modified the rigid harness and it didn't work, he got it fixed, but I don't remember the details. I would try running power directly to the light again to make sure the light is ok. Then double check all of your connections. I have wired several LED lights by extending wires with no issues, so not sure what's going on.

Interesting.. I am about to read the thread, thanks for the comment!

Thanks for posting up the link to how shitty spod is. Hopefully others will see it before supporting them.

One of my regrets with my build was not doing enough research on Wayalife before buying my sPod. I would never have gotten one if I did more research on here. You better believe this is the place I do the majority of my research now! This site has more information, testimonials, and members looking to help than any other site I've encountered so far.

One of my regrets with my build was not doing enough research on Wayalife before buying my sPod. I would never have gotten one if I did more research on here. You better believe this is the place I do the majority of my research now! This site has more information, testimonials, and members looking to help than any other site I've encountered so far.

Agreed! Definitely learning a lot here

Apdski

I run several different rigid LEDs as well as IPF driving lights all to the sPOD without issues. And I cut out the inline fuses and relays on all the lights wiring harnesses. Im no electrician but the sPOD has all that stuff and it works well for me. If I remember correctly rigid wire harnesses are color coded red/black so hopefully you didnt switch your wires. Just make sure you have the wires attached at the right terminals on the sPOD. it could be easy to accidentally wire the light to half of two different switches. also, I believe the sPOD resets when you turn on your jeep

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
You do not need any of the fuses or relays if you are hooking up an SPOD. It has the fused and relay built in. You can slice them off on the rigid harness.

alanaut

Purchased new wire.. 14gauge.. hopefully not too big if that is a thing. gunna try wiring it up on saturday

What came of this? Did you get it? Did you need to run the power and ground to the battery (take out the fuse and relay) and then run the switch wires to the sPOD?

JustaJKUR

50" E-Series PRO

Hi there, disclaimer, I have owned my Jeep for a year. I just joined this forum. I understand nobody loves the sPOD here. I have one. I also bought a Rigid Industries E-Series PRO 50" light bar and had my shop wire it up as many on this thread have mentioned you can do. I have Side Shooters on the windshields, D-series PRO Amber cubes on the bumper, and D-Series PRO lights on the back mast as well. All Rigid. All on my sPOD. No issues with any of those. Recently, while I was out in the desert, my light bar blew the fuse. I replaced it but it went off again and when I looked, it had melted my wires. Replaced all the wiring and it happened again. Pretty scary. I fortunately kept the harness that came with the light. Im not savvy with wiring but my shop said he had to use the existing harness and wire it to the battery itself but still switches via the sPOD.

My goal here isnt to love or hate a product or be a fan boy. Just trying to let fellow Jeepers know that this can be dangerous if not installed correctly. I understand my shop holds a little liability here. I also feel like it could be an honest mistake that others could make. The "older" version of this light bar which looks nearly identical (the non-PRO version (150312 vs 150313)) only draws 20 amps.

The link below has the Amp Draw listed at 32. I dont believe the sPOD can handle that out of the box from what Ive gathered.

https://www.rigidindustries.com/e-series-pro-50-spot-driving-combo-152313.html

Safe Jeeping. Always carry a fire extinguisher.

Top Bottom