Seats causing back pain?

AZRubicon1

Me ✋️

The suspension is stiffer than other cars I've had, and the seats don't hold your back as good either. The other day I got into my friend's challenger and noticed how well the bucket seats hold your back. It makes a huge difference, especially in long trips. But I love my jeep, just waiting to upgrade my suspension to take out a bit of the stiffness.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mastrcruse

Not sure if there is a difference, however, I find the 07-11 seats uncomfortable and the 12-current seats comfortable. I feel like the 07-11 hurt my lower back and I feel a bit more stiff after sitting in them. Maybe making shit up in my head though.

robx251

Caught the Bug
Me ✋️

The suspension is stiffer than other cars I've had, and the seats don't hold your back as good either. The other day I got into my friend's challenger and noticed how well the bucket seats hold your back. It makes a huge difference, especially in long trips. But I love my jeep, just waiting to upgrade my suspension to take out a bit of the stiffness.

Similarly here. My other half has a new renegade and the seats in that are so comfy. I really wish o could just trade seats with her for a while. But she already has rods up her spine.

Sent from my LG-M210 using WAYALIFE mobile app

aTX427

Not sure if there is a difference, however, I find the 07-11 seats uncomfortable and the 12-current seats comfortable. I feel like the 07-11 hurt my lower back and I feel a bit more stiff after sitting in them. Maybe making shit up in my head though.

^^^this. I had PRP Podiums in my TJ. They are crazy comfortable.

Brute

Hooked
I put in some Corbeau Baja XRS suspension seats with lumbar support (a small air bladder at your lower back you inflate with a hand bulb)...I herniated the L5/S1 and bulged the next disc down in '03...these seats are much better (for me) than the stock seats

Draconianwinter

These seats were designed around casual use not for long trips. One thing that has helped me is I dropped putting my wallet in my back pocket. I keep it in my front pocket. Before I started that I found I always left in my pocket while driving. This actually throws your spine out of alignment. Try keeping it in your front pocket instead. It helps allot. Other than that you can buy various things designed to help support your back while driving, but I find most of them useless. Best option is getting new seats that are built for being in them for a long period of time. Usually something that doesn't allow much movement side to side is a good idea. That's just my .02 on it. Definitely though don't keeping your wallet in your back pocket of you do so.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
After a 3 hour trip my better half has severe back pain in our 2016 JKU

My friend sold his '13 JKUR that he modded out after owning it for 3 years because he developed severe back pain. He threw his back out about 6 months before he sold it. After not driving it for about 2 months his back seemed to have healed. He took his daughter to school and threw his back out during that 15 minute drive. He looked in to the Baja seats and decided they weren't going to help after he tested them out. A month later he decided to go for another drive and threw his back out again. He didn't have that issue when driving his sedan. So the next day he traded his JKUR in for a loaded '15 F150 and loves it.

The funny thing is he went to Easter Jeep safari this year in Moab with his father in-law. He had no back issues at all over that week in his father in-law's CJ5.

Maybe it's a JK thing...

I have an '07 and no back issues from the stock cloth seats. I've driven cross country in it 4 times over the past 7 years amongst several other 12+ hour drives with no issues at all. Everyone is different I guess.

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Had minor lower back pain in my stock 15 seats on longer trips. Went from Phoenix to San Diego and back with no issues after replacing with MC Baja RS.

BaddestCross

My lower back usually kills me after about an hour and a half of sitting, but my 08 JK doesn't seem to bother me as much as others. Maybe it's just because I love driving it so much. 😎

I do hate the floor plan, though... I can't pull my left foot up because of the way it's formed and that does bug me. I'm thinking about installing a dead peddle to see if that helps at all. 🤔

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
My lower back usually kills me after about an hour and a half of sitting, but my 08 JK doesn't seem to bother me as much as others. Maybe it's just because I love driving it so much. 😎

I do hate the floor plan, though... I can't pull my left foot up because of the way it's formed and that does bug me. I'm thinking about installing a dead peddle to see if that helps at all. 🤔

I put in a dead pedal and felt it did help, I like how it keeps both my feet at more or less the same distance when driving. Not to mention it was a relatively cheap mod.

robx251

Caught the Bug
These seats were designed around casual use not for long trips. One thing that has helped me is I dropped putting my wallet in my back pocket. I keep it in my front pocket. Before I started that I found I always left in my pocket while driving. This actually throws your spine out of alignment. Try keeping it in your front pocket instead. It helps allot. Other than that you can buy various things designed to help support your back while driving, but I find most of them useless. Best option is getting new seats that are built for being in them for a long period of time. Usually something that doesn't allow much movement side to side is a good idea. That's just my .02 on it. Definitely though don't keeping your wallet in your back pocket of you do so.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app
Thanks. I already keep it in my front pocket or in my console. I have always been aware of this possibility. Thank you

Sent from my LG-M210 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom