Lockers

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to Wayalife. I assume you have a front 30? What size tires are you running? Are you running stock gears still?

Dat-black-jeep

Yes I've got a 3.5 inch suspension lift running 33s right now. I've def got to regear before I do lockers, I've got the 4.0 and it was crazy sluggish running through some rocky river beds here in NC I've also heard the Sahara comes stock with a d44 is that true? In the rear

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
The problem snowballs. You regear to make up for the lost power. When doing this the pinion gear gets smaller. Adding a locker to a small Dana 30 pinion is just asking for a more expensive repair. As far as the rear axle, look at the cover, a perfect oval shape is a d35(right), the other is a d44(left).

DCP01650.jpg

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
If you're running a 30/35, it would be wise to upgrade the entire axle before locking them. Re-gear for now if you're going to be driving it like this for awhile and are unhappy with the power. That's what I would do.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're running a 30/35, it would be wise to upgrade the entire axle before locking them. Re-gear for now if you're going to be driving it like this for awhile and are unhappy with the power. That's what I would do.

You can get by with a locked 30 on a TJ, I've done it. The 35 only sucks because of the c-clips. If it were me, I'd look for a Ford 8.8 to replace the rear end. Pretty common and relatively cheap.

ob_tj

Agreed with Eddie. If I were you I would look for a ford 8.8 from a ford ranger or explorer. You can find them with Limited slip and disk brakes as I did.

Dat-black-jeep

Thanks guys, I'm learning this as I go. Always had jeeps but finally building myself a trail rig as I've lived in the NC mountains. I'm from Florida where there's nothing but mud to go in, and a lot of times lockers don't get you out...but the rocks around here the lockers are almost a must for a good comfortable ride.

tdans

The 8.8 swap is fairly simple. I went with a Detroit locker in the rear. Artec makes a good 8.8 swap kit for the mounts. I have an eaton e locker on my Dana 30. We went to Moab and did most of the hardest trails and it held up with no problems. I just tried to turn it on as little as possible.

Top Bottom