Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New axles in, jeep is tough to handle on highway.

New axles in, jeep is tough to handle on highway.

So I finished up my jeep, axles are in, drive shafts are in, new trac bar, drag link, and tie rod and 40's. I love the way it drives and how solid it feels on the road, It is a completely different vehicle in the way it handles. The only time I have an issue is when I'm driving above 60mph and I go to change lanes. It feels like it sways a little extra in the direction I'm going. I didn't readjust my control arms so could the caster be off?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rogerk93 View Post
    So I finished up my jeep, axles are in, drive shafts are in, new trac bar, drag link, and tie rod and 40's. I love the way it drives and how solid it feels on the road, It is a completely different vehicle in the way it handles. The only time I have an issue is when I'm driving above 60mph and I go to change lanes. It feels like it sways a little extra in the direction I'm going. I didn't readjust my control arms so could the caster be off?

Could be slightly off but if I had to guess I bet your just feeling the road grooves more with the full width axles. Not totally sure tho as I have never driven a full width axle Jeep
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

What's your caster set at? Could also be feeling the effects of new ball joints.

Did you happen to check your old measurement against the new one?

Quote Originally Posted by cozdude View Post
    Could be slightly off but if I had to guess I bet your just feeling the road grooves more with the full width axles. Not totally sure tho as I have never driven a full width axle Jeep
    I see. I have to buy a new angle finder the Home Depot one sucks. But if it is just because of the width than that's fine I just have to get used to it.

I see. I have to buy a new angle finder the Home Depot one sucks. But if it is just because of the width than that's fine I just have to get used to it.

You can save your money and just get an angle finder app on your phone, for free. Found one called Angle Pro and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimebones View Post
    You can save your money and just get an angle finder app on your phone, for free. Found one called Angle Pro and it works great.
    Thanks for that. I don't know why I didn't think of it.

If it's not your caster, make sure all control arms and track bars are torqued to spec.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    What's your caster set at? Could also be feeling the effects of new ball joints.
    2nd that.....I just put in new Dynatrac ball joints a few months ago and according to Dynatrac it can take up to 1k miles to "break in".....With what your saying is exactly what I was feeling until about 800mi when the ball joints finally "loosened up", then it has been great ever since.
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brianmly View Post
    2nd that.....I just put in new Dynatrac ball joints a few months ago and according to Dynatrac it can take up to 1k miles to "break in".....With what your saying is exactly what I was feeling until about 800mi when the ball joints finally "loosened up", then it has been great ever since.
    This ^^^

New ball joints tend to feel flighty the first 1000 or so miles...

Last edited by jorgelrod; 06-12-2017 at 05:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast