Frame notch on EVO high steer

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I have heard a little about some members notching there frame for clearance. If anyone could post pictures and advice on whether I need to do anything to mine. I saw a picture of one that was for sale on the forum that had a big notch in his. On mine, it has definitely rubbed, but not to bad after two good wheeling trips. Is there a concern at high speed when both wheels bottom out? It was set up by off-road evolutions so it might be good.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
It basically will allow you to set your bump up, allowing for more up travel. I dont have pictures yet

It shouldn't be an issue at any speed, as long as things are setup well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have heard a little about some members notching there frame for clearance. If anyone could post pictures and advice on whether I need to do anything to mine. I saw a picture of one that was for sale on the forum that had a big notch in his. On mine, it has definitely rubbed, but not to bad after two good wheeling trips. Is there a concern at high speed when both wheels bottom out? It was set up by off-road evolutions so it might be good.

What I can tell you is this, for a VAST majority of people, it's totally unnecessary to do. Mel did it because he races KOH and at high speeds, the drag link making full and hard contact with the frame rail again and again became a legitimate concern. We've been running Moby without the notch for a very long time and while our drag link does make contact, it's only noticeable at high speeds and with a hard hit. Flexing on the rocks, you'll never even know there's an issue. We still have the same drag link that was originally installed and we've yet to have a problem worth noting in well over 120,000 miles. Granted, we're just mall crawlers so you can take all that for what it's worth.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
This is a great picture of the frame notch they do at ORE for their highsteer.

View attachment 263162

Yes, I saw that picture and it made me start thinking. Is that a lower lift and I think he had 37's on at that time and maybe he had it set lower than mine, which is on 40's? My drag link is setting up higher than that at normal ride height. Mine just rubs a little at full stuff. I tried to look at Moby, but hard to tell but he doesn't look like he has that much of a notch.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
What I can tell you is this, for a VAST majority of people, it's totally unnecessary to do. Mel did it because he races KOH and at high speeds, the drag link making full and hard contact with the frame rail again and again became a legitimate concern. We've been running Moby without the notch for a very long time and while our drag link does make contact, it's only noticeable at high speeds and with a hard hit. Flexing on the rocks, you'll never even know there's an issue. We still have the same drag link that was originally installed and we've yet to have a problem worth noting in well over 120,000 miles. Granted, we're just mall crawlers so you can take all that for what it's worth.

Ok, great info and that is what I was hoping to hear. Do you think It could or have you ever had a problem on a hard hit on the road, like a bridge at high speed?

Top Bottom